Best light weight camera for packing

bigonedown

I am in need of a new camera and looking for opinions on a good camera that is light weight for packing. I'm bad about not taking pictures and later wishing I would have. Hoping to get a quality camera that I will pack with me and not leave behind because of worrying about weight.

Thanks in advance!!

There are a few great options. The 2 best would be the Sony DSC-HX80 and the Canon G7X MK2, depending on your budget

Give me a call at 516-217-1000. Happy to help

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-18 AT 02:39PM (MST)[p]A lot depends upon what type of photos you want to take? Do you want a higher power zoom for taking scouting/hunting photos of critters at long range or are you looking for a camera for close-up hero pics and scenery shots? Some of the new cameras also take really nice HD video!

The reason I ask is I have a Canon SX60 HS that has a 65x zoom lens that is relatively light but a bit bulky. I constantly use it for zooming way in pics/video on game at long range. It is relatively inexpensive and great for scouting. I always store it in a small padded case and/or dry bag because it's not waterproof.

I also have a tiny Panasonic HDC-TM60 camcorder that fits in my jacket pocket that has a 35x zoom lens that works great for scouting/hunting video. I picked it up almost new on Craigslist for super cheap!

Another consideration is weight plus bulk? It's really nice to have a camera that fits in a pocket. You will likely take a lot more photos if all you have to do is slip a camera into a jacket or shirt pocket rather than having to retrieve it from your pack every time you want to use it. Obviously a iPhone works pretty well for many of these shots.

I also have a GoPro that works great on fishing trips and on hunts when I'll be up close and personal with game...such as turkey hunting. This past fall I attached it to my flyrod and got some fantastic underwater video of spawning salmon. Last spring video of turkeys in rut.

Another pocket camera that's been great for pics/video is a Lumix TS3. It is 100% waterproof. I've used it for underwater fishing shots as well as pictures when it's raining and snowing outside. I've used and abused it for years and takes decent closeup pics and video.

I have a fairly large selection of cameras/camcorders for a variety of uses! It's always nice to pick and choose which one I'll use in a particular situation!

I have a Sony DSC-HX50V that I like. It's a few years old, the DSC-HX80 that Cameraland mentioned is the new updated version of it.

It's small enough to fit in my shirt pocket and has 30X zoom, wifi and GPS.But point and shoot is all I do so it's been OK for me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom