Best Low Budget Truck Tire ?

hunter44

I have a ford half ton with 17" wheels, and the tires are wore out. I need new tires, so I thought I would ask for a little input before I spend the dough for new tires. I am looking for a good on/off road tire. Thanks for the help!

Kelly

Not exactly low budget, but loving my 17" Good year Silent Armours!!! Quite, handle well and clean excellent!

I bought the Yokohama Geolander AT and have put about 15000 miles on them and have been very happy. They were about $100 a tire for the 17". I had General (Can't remember the model) before and didn't like them at all.

Go to Discount tires and take a look at there Pathfinder tires. I went through two sets of the all terrains on my Jeep a few years ago and got over 60K miles with each set. My brother has also used them on his pick up truck with simalar results.

Don't know if they make them in a 17, but I like Sport Kings. I am running them on my Yukon and they have been a good tire.

On the previous PU I owned, I always bought Goodyear Wrangler AT's. The last set I had on the PU, a GMC 4x4, when I sold it after I retired, had bought a new one for my retirement, the tires had just over " 93,000" miles and looked new. Mind you, I drove it everyday to work which was 120 miles round trip. Then took it hunting in the fall. I rotated them every 3,000 miles and changed oil/filter too.
Well about two months ago I saw the guy I sold the "old PU" to and he still had the same tires on it and motor still was working BUT Catalitic Converter was SHOT. Motor has 263,000 miles and the tires would be right about 143,000 miles (est) but they are BALD and showed some of the inter cords, bad.

Don't know if they still make them Wranglers but I always had good luck with them.

My present PU has BF Goodrich, holding up pretty good with just over 50,000 miles and 4 years of running them. Hope they hold out till next season or at least next year sometime.

Rotate and maintain the right tire pressures they will last you a long time if a major brand I would think.
My uncle use to have on his Jeep for work as a Hunter/Trapper ONLY KELLY TIRES, he said they were the best.

Brian

I had a pair of sport kings worst tire i have ever had, i have bfg all terrains on my truck currently they are good, i like the wranglers too, think my next set of tires is gonna be toyo mtrs

I like my Goodyear Wrangler TD's. Little softer than most of the expensive tires, but I get great traction. Less than 600 all the way around. Everything. Lifetime rotations and replacement for defects. And that price is in SO Cali.

Aim Center Mass
rifleman.gif

BFG's All Terrain or Mud Terrain. Mud Terrain is best for all out traction but All Terrain will work awesome in everything but mud. They don't clean out in mud but everything else is great. I would trade in those 17's at a junk yard for the same year/style in 16's. Will save you probably more then the cost of the new rims if not more.

I recently bought some Big O XT mud terrains for my Ford Ranger and so far am really happy with them. After talking to the people at Big O and verifying what they said by doing some research on the internet, I should get around 50,000 miles if rotated properly. I got the blems for a heck of price which saved me about 50 bucks a tire.

Shawn

I just put Dakota Definity AT tires on my truck, bought them thru Pepboys, with Pepboys buy 3 get the 4th tire free. Once it was all said and done, 4 285/75/16s cost me $500.00, thats mounted, balanced, new value stems and tire disposal, for tires that big, thats a real good deal. Also Dayton Timberlines were rate a best buy by Consumer reports. Just priced their LT tire at 118.00 a tire.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom