Best Odds Desert Sheep Hunt NR

LamBow

Looking for a Desert Sheep hunt with the best draw odds for a NR. Not looking for a great sheep. 120 class would do. Want to use the bow. Any suggestions?

My suggestion: hopefully you are young, because you may need to apply for 60 years, especially as a NR, to get a tag.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-13 AT 12:23PM (MST)[p]Good advise from above and article.Do not forget about Nevada,for sheep.N.R. can apply for 2 specie here,Desert and Cali. Bighorns and Nv. puts N.R. in their own pool,unlike Az.Some units have as many as 3 N.r. tags,GUARANTEED to go to N.R.Both states have great sheep hunts,but You can not draw unless You apply !!! Bruce & SilverGrand

9715img950526.jpg

Usually small sheep, low numbers, difficult terrain units have better draw odds. As for bonus pass and the 10% cap all things that I need to research to make sure my name is actually in the hat. Was looking at the 15 and 16 units maybe 13 units. Part of the reason I posted because I was looking for a guided hunt. I have 9pts. and probably will give it 10 yrs before I reassess the situation. Thanks for your help and links. As for Nevada Ive already been told about that direction something I need to look into.

There is a guide on this site / forum that lives in the 15 units and knows that sheep country better than most. Get a hold of Don Martin he can also give you an education on the bonus point system in AZ, he also teaches Hunter Education for Non-Residents.

Good Luck..

John

The conclusions in Eastman's article are what I have been doing, mid demand high tag # units... still chasing with 22 points... No point in better odds as the 10% cap will likely be filled or highest demand as unit quota will be filled in the max points round. But, I realize just drawing a desert sheep tag anywhere, any state is less than likely in lifetime even if you apply every state every year withour being a NV or AZ resident and go for draw odds on meaningful choices.

That doesn't sound so good but you cant draw if your name isn't in the hat. Maybe? Probably not! Maybe? Whatever.

Maybe I should rephrase my post. Is there any crappy desert sheep units with low harvest rates that most hunters shy away from. That I could get past the 20/10 problem and actually get my name into the draw? Thanks for the education guys.

I might not have phrased my answer right... But nonresidents are going against both the 50% per unit amd 10% total cap. The 50% tag per unit is the issue for high demand units, as that will likely fill in the 20% max points round. You still need a low enough random draw number to also beat the 10% cap in the second round 80% draw and odds are tags would be avaiable for more than just the best draw odds hunts if so. You likely need a lower random number to draw a tag in the 80% pass than the 20% pass. So, going for absolute best draw odds most likely will not help a nonresident draw a tag. I think the Eastman's article above had great advice

AZ draw odds are pretty tough per unit for a nonresident to figure.... But bottom like is that you have to get a really low random draw number... get lucky... but can get better odds than the applicants who go just for the highest demand units.

after u just sent my head spinning on that last reply, Mr. Fudd. I'm thinking the only way to get your name in the hat as a NR with out max pts for your unit of choice is to have a RES draw the Bonus tags in the max.pts for that unit. I think?
With 22pts. I think your due to draw soon. Good luck, Elmer and thanks for your help.

Drawing any DBS tag is just plain dang tough. Period! I have max points as a resident, have been applying before bonus points existed and am still dreaming of a tag. Apply in the 15's & 16's and maybe someday? Good luck!

If you don't have the Permanent Hunter Ed Bonus Point you might want to consider coming out for the class on Jan 4th in Kingman, actually held at the 7 Mile Hill Range MSC Clubhouse in Golden Valley.

Jim

The problem for many--especially non-residents-- is that they only apply for for the units that are considered as "Trophy" sheep units.

Look at those who USUALLY, but not always draw tags in those "premium" units and see how many bonus points they had! They are usually at the top of the pile, but again the rules say that no more than 50% or two tags can go to non-residents in any unit!

Take look at the Game & Fish report that lists how many sportsmen, resident and non-resident, and the points they have.

I think it is one of the only species where Arizona residents outnumber the non-residents in the max bonus point pool.

And again this advice only applies to NON-RESIDENTS, because Arizona residents can and do draw tags every year with everything from one to the max points!

This year I'll be assisting a resident of Nebraska as he hunts sheep in Unit 15B West. Guess how many points he had? How about 8.

Yep he chose a unit that doesn't see a heck of a lot of applications from nonresidents and his number came up!

This year this unit had tags increase from 2 to 4. But do you find this unit named as a preferred or trophy spot by the magazine sheep prophets?

Nope.

So here is what you can do to help yourself, and I'm speaking strictly at this point to the non-residents out there.

Unless you are in that max bonus point pool stay away from all those "glory units" and look at those unit that are kinda off of the radar.

And take my good friend and fellow Hunter Ed instructor Jim Rich's advice.

If you don't have Arizona Hunter Education, come on out and take our one-day class in January or April and walk out with ONE MORE POINT!

I told Jim if he wants to draw, then forget Unit 15D...But he has waited forever for a tag and wants the best unit in northwest Arizona.

In the mean time I'm sure Mr. Hurt and the other non-residents are happy as heck and are getting ready for their hunts!

4034unit_15b_west_ram_photo_2.jpg

Here is a photo of the ram we took last year hunting with a RESIDENT.

Nope he doesn't make the record book but he is a neat ram!

So forget the record books and apply smart. Look for units that have at least TWO tags offered.

There are no "good" draw odds when it comes to sheep. But knowing how the draw works might just alter your strategy.

By the way one of the things we discuss at the one day Supplemental Hunter Ed class that Jim and I and others on our team teach about is draw strategy.

Don Martin

Hey Don
I have intended on taking the 1 day supplemental hunters ED class for awhile. Work is a problem this Jan.. I'm trying for next Dec./Jan. that way I could go otc while i'm there and another point should help even better on an elk hunt I'm planning. Definitely would like to take the class and talk sheep hunting with you guys. Thanks!

Besides the January 4th class, we do another one in April, date TBD.

For those who take the January class, the sheep hunt will be over and I'll have some good info for you on how that and other hunts in Region III went this year!

Don Martin
Chief Hunter Education Instructor
Kingman

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom