best of list for backcountry

dieseldog

If you could go buy whatever you needed for a backcountry backpack archery hunt (elk rut) lets here your wish lists. I need to start purchasing this stuff so i want to know the good and bad. I have nothing right now so I am looking for info on everything from tents to portable cool stoves to what underwear JK. You get the picture. Thanks

Tent MSR Zoid 1
Sleeping Bag Marmot Helium
Sleeping Pad Thermarest Prolite
Stove Snowpeak Giga
Cookware Snowpeak Titanium
Backpack Badlands 2800 or 4500
Headlamp Petzl Tikka

LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-06 AT 10:03PM (MST)[p]Back Pack, Barney Bag
Tent, Tarptent
Sleeping bag, Western Mountaineering
Sleeping Pad, Therma Rest
Hiking sticks, Leki
Stove, Snow Peak

I will list more later. DT

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-06 AT 09:31PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-06 AT 09:30?PM (MST)

riflepack.jpg

riflepack003.jpg

riflepack002.jpg

riflepack001.jpg

These pics have my serria design clip flashlight tent on board the Kelty. That's the tent I used last year! It worked great for my mid sept hunt! But I'm going with a Tarp Tent to cut the weight in half! 32ozs. vs. 4pds 10ozs. I can do a 10-12 day hunt with this set up. Right at 62pds includes spotter, ammo, gun everything!!

Back Pack- Kelty Casche Hauler, It hauls my Blacks Creek Alaskan with the rest of gear.
Tent, tarptent (I hope)
Sleeping bag, Kelty light year 25* Plus 9.5 deg silk liner(if needed 4oz.)
Sleeping pad-REI treker 1.75
hiking sticks- stoney point monopod and wally world swiss gear special($9.00 and it rocks!!!)
Stove- Snow peak TI with TI pot
Headlamp- Petzel Tikka with red lens (awesome)

I'll be getting a Kifaru Gun Bearer for the Kelty! I'm taking the Blacks Creek for a kick azz day pack so I can haul boned meat back to camp! I've heard great stuff about the tarp tent!

I like mountain house! Just add boiling water. For myself I like the single serving breakfast and for dinner the two person meal helps my body replenish it self for another long hard day. For lunch I snack on meal replacement bars, candy bars, etc.
I have a 3 litre platypus bladder. I go through 3 litre's a day in 50 degree weather. I usually stop drinking water about 2 hours before bed. That way I don't have to freeze my balls off in the middle of the night! I like a 2 gallon water bag that I dip in near by creeks or lakes to cook with. And it also kills the coals in the fire pit while gone all day. I also have a squeeze bottle filtre system and I bring along sweet water drops to kill bacteria. Before bed I'll fill the platypus and put 15 drops of sweet water in and I'm garrenteed no beaver fever the next day!!

I use Big Agnus!!!
Seedhouse 1 SL with a footprint (Free standing Tent) No tarp for me I DONT like the BUGS.You can use the Rainfly and poles and footprint WITHOUT the Tent I think 1.4 lbs?
BA Lost Ranger Bag with a BA Insulated Aircore Pad
Jet-Boil Stove and MT House Meals,one Spork. Who wants to carry Pots and Pans?
Katadyn Hiker Water Purifier
Food,Water,Shelter?
Here's a Couple Links!!! Good Luck
http://www.rei.com/camphike
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/index.html
http://www.backpacker.com/

Slider. The reason a guy would go with something besides the Jetboil is to save some weight.

The Tarptent CreepingDeath and I are talking about has a floor and netting. No bugs. The 1 man Tarptent is like 1.5 pounds. The 3 man is 2.5 pounds. A lot more room then the 1 man Seadhouse which weighs almost 3 pounds. About the same price also.

DD, I don't really take a stove anymore. Just bagels, Pop tarts, Cliff bars, that sort of stuff. But if you want hot food Mountain House is the way to go for dinner. For breakfast I like the Quaker oatmeal packets. The ones that have the fruit and cream are great. Any kind of food that you really like works. The rule of thumb for backpacking food is that it should have at least 100 calories per ounce. It is pretty easy to do better then that though.

I have never worried about water treatment hunting. I just make sure the water is moving a little bit. If there is cattle in the area you are hunting then I would probably treat it. We had some clients in Alaska bring water filters and after the second night they quit using them. It is just such a pain to sit there and pump water. Or put tablets in and wait half an hour to drink it.

later dt

RE: best of list for backc ountry

slider, i have been looking at the jetboil. Looks like a slick unit, how long does one canister of fuel last. I also was looking at the big agnes website today, looks like good stuff. Thanks guys keep it coming.

RE: best of list for backc ountry

The Jet-Boil boils water in 1 minute the other stoves about 3 minutes.I have used the same canister for a week and haven't ran out(MT House for breakfast and a cup of coffee also Mt House for Dinner for one person). I always carry an extra canister.Big Agnus is the TOP of the line and you will love it!!! Good Luck

I take top ramen, instant oatmeal(as stated above) and clif bars or equal and some jerky and vitamin C drink powder--also I filter all my water with the Katadyn bottles and with a Katadyn bag(for camp)--the rapid running stream or creek isn't a failsafe method of determining whether or not the water is safe to drink--I found this out from experience and it's not fun----chris

DD,

My brother and I did an early October wilderness elk hunt (went 2 for 2 on mature bulls!) and we were out for 8-days. Here is a list of our equipment and some answers to your follow up questions.

1. Tents - I used a Eureka solataire 1-man bivy and my brohter used a lightweight Eureka 2-man tent. They both worked great, but were not tested hard as we had no rain or snow.

2. Packs - I used a $49 (on sale campmor) High Sierra internal frame pack and my brother used the $349 Badlands 4500 pack, both worked great. I had a bit more room in the high sierra and the it was easier to use, the badlands is a tough pack, very technical, plan on spending alot of time adjusting-messing with this pack. One thing the Badlands had that my pack did not was a place to latch on your gun, I was wishing I had this capability on the long hike out.

3. Bags and Pads - I used my old North Face 15F down bag with a Insul Mat Max Thermo air mattress. This pad/matress was comfortable, but I got a bit cool one morning when it hit 29F. I will not use this mattress again when the temps are 40F and below. My brother used the prolite mattress with his new Big Agnes bag and he was warm. The Thermarest prolite as recommended by others may be the best sleeping pad for size, weight and thermal value. I will have one of these on my next wilderness elk hunt in 2008. Also, recommend a 0 degree bag in perhaps synthetic material.

4. Stoves, Pans, Utensils - I used my MSR Pocket Rocket nad it was flawless as usual (we were at 10,000 feet elevation. I got 16 boils over the 8-day period off one 8 oz can, had a small amount of fuel left. My brother used his new jet boil and it worked flawlessly, he used about 1 and 1/4, maybe 1 and 1/2 of the small butane canisters. He did not take any pans/cups as the jet boil serves this need. I took a titanium cup (with measurements on it in oz) and a titanium pot and a titanium spork. My cooking package was a bit lighter and less bulky the way I packed it than the jet boil. My recommendation, if you have not invested in a stove yet, give teh jet boil serious consideration. However, I still love my MSR pocket rocket!

5. Boots- Both had Vasque GTX boots. Great boots, but would give the Cabelas perkect hiker by Meindel a closer look. One rookie mistake my brother made, was he put in these new super duper, thick insoles that elevated his foot in his boot and did not test them enough before the hike in and his heels rubbed the inseam and he got blisters, big time rookie mistake!

6. Water Treatment - We treated all of our water and ee used a MSR water purfication pump 85% of the time and iodine the other 15% when we ran out of water on a couple very long day hikes. We just treated all water, did not want to take any chances, jus too much time and money invested. Recommend always carrying iodine tablets with you at all times just in case you end of further out than you expected. We went out one morning scouting with the intent of a 4-5 mile trip and ended up doing 13-miles that day, glad we had the iodine as we refilled from streams on several occassions.

7. Radio - We had a radio to call our previously arranged packer and this worked but not without radio contact problems. Next time we will take a satellite phone for sure regardless of the extra weight and cost.

8. Headlamp - We both had small petzel lights, I believe same model as recommended in one of the other post, very samll and lightweight with long burn time. Check burn times closely on whatever you purchase. I took two extra batteries.

9. Knives, Saw, Game bags - Browning big game knife with blade+guthook+saw. Recommend the Redi-Edge knife sharpener and not any of the cheap ones. We took a couple of the small cheap Gerber ceramic sharpeners and they did not get it done with respect to two bulls down. We used the Gerber saw with the retractable blade into a slim balc handle andit worked great, it is light and very sharp. Game bags, definitely the light weight but tough Cabelas Alaskan game bags. I was using the heavy canvas bags until one of the boys on this site, early this year, turned me onto these new lightweight, tough as nails bags and they worked great.

10. Optics - I used some low end Zeis 10x30 and got the job done. I used a cheap Burris 20x50 compact spotting scope and it helped but was only marginally better than my brothers binoculars. He used the Bushnell Elite 10x42 and these nocs are unbelievable, the light gathering was amazing, he could use this at night and see like you would not believe. Felt like cheating with these awesome binoculars, on the few times he let me use them.

11. Clothes - Essentially took 3 sets, one set for the hike in and scouting prior to the five day hunt and two pants, two base layer, one middle fleece layer, one poly type button down outer layer, one jacket - rivers west, but did not use this much, was overkill but had it for unexpected weather. Took extra socks, like 5 pairs just to be safe with the feet. Two sets of poly long johns and underwear, washed these in the stream and the poly drys quick.

Hope this information helps based on our experience in the wilderness this past year.

Regards,

JL

I forgot to mention food:

We took MH and Backcuntry Pantry for our dinners each night and they are nice to have when the temps are cooling and a hot meal is available, amazing how good they taste when out in the wilderness. One recommendation, check the SODIUM closely as some of these meals have huge amounts and you will have a very thirsty night. I spent alot of time finding the ones with the high calorie and the lowest sodium levels. Look at this closely.

For lunch I took a peanut butter sandwhich for each day and power bars, candy bars to keep carbs up.

For breakfast had a high carb honey bun each morning.

Good luck and have fun!

JL

JL,

How strong are the cabelas game bags? Are you able to hang a quarter (elk front leg or back) in them without tearing? I thought about using old laundry bags, but if these are tough enough, I will use them.

FOB

The new lightweight alaskan game bags are tough as nails based on what we did with them. Since we killed our bulls on the next to last and last days of our hunt, we never actually hung the meat, just laid it our across logs. However, when loading the horses, we had the bags absolutely stoked with meat and they held up great lifting them onto the pack horses, also moving the meat around getting back to our base camp, etc. Hanging meat in this bags would not be a problem. Again, I got to give credit to one of the boys on this site for turning me on to these bags myself last August. You will be impressed with how light and how tough they are.

JL

Cabela's Outfitter Frame
Cabela's Bow/Rifle Day Pack w/Rigid Back
Tarptent Contrail Tent
REI Travel Down +45 (Early Fall)
Big Agnes Air Core Mummy
MSR Superfly Stove
Snow Peak Ti Cup & Spork
Mountain House Food 3-5 days
MSR Mini Works Filter
Petzl MyoLite 3 Hybrid Headlamp
100 OZ Wtr Bladder
1st Aid Kit
Knives of Alaska Skinner & Caper
Sm AX
Meat Bags
Swarovski 65mm Spotting Scope
Carbon Tripod (need to buy list)
Steiner Predetor 10x42 Binos
Leica 900 Rangefinder
Garmin GPS
Compass (backup)
Canon 630 Camera
Mathews Switchback w/Carbon Express Arrows & Muzzy 100
Clothing

This gets me fairly lightweight. If I'm with a buddy we split the spotting scope & tripod up.

What I'm using right now:
Backpack: J104
Bag: Big Agnes Whiskey Park
Pad: Thermarest Z-lite or Big Agnes
Tent: MSR zoid 1
Stove: Brunton
Binos: Leuopold Wind River Cascades w/harness
Food: instant oatmeal, energy bars, bagels, Mountain House Meals
H2O filter: MSR, iodine tablets
Boots: Meindl Perfect Hunters - awesome
Hydration: 2L Camelback bladder, Nalgene bottle

Wish List:
Western Mountaineering down sleeping bag (much lighter)
Cloudburst2 tarptent: lighter than the MSR zoid and 3x the space
Jetboil stove- more efficient
And of course Swarovksi binocs

LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-07 AT 08:29AM (MST)[p]Wow great info guys,this is why this site is so awesome.

Hey Johnny...do you have any pics of your trip and you and your Bro's backcountry bulls? I would love to see them if you do.

Muzz-

Thanks for asking about our bulls. We had a great hunt and I was very lucky to have taken a really nice 320ish bull on a DIY wilderness hunt. I did write a story for one of the mags, but not sure if going to make it in yet. Will post a pic shortly.

Again, thanks for asking about our elk. My brothers was a mature bull, but he had a old wound on one side and the antler was deformed as a result, but still a good bull with character.

Regards,

Johnny

Congrats again Johnny and i look forward to seeing the pics.

Nothing gets the heart pumping like backcountry bulls. :)

1) Paint Quarter Horse

2) 1/2 QH 1/2 Draft horse gelding

3) 16+ hand mule

At 47 I hope to leave the backpacking to you younger guys. But I use some of the above mentioned equipment when I'm packing with the horses. Headlamps were mentioned early on and they are invaluable. Didn't see GPS mentioned, again its a must but thats in everybodies hunting pack, right? Mountain House is good. i use water tablets for drinking water with either powdered Gatorade or Tang to cover the taste.

Use a 16 pound, Cabela's Outfitter tent or an Alaknac (26lbs) if its really cold and i'm gonna need a woodstove. Standard 2 burner propane stove. Fullsized alunimum cookset. Spoiled huh?

Don't forget your hobbles and picket lines.

put about 5 wraps of duct tape around the ole water bottle. comes in mighty handy if you have to patch yourself or your gear up. Zip ties are very useful as well and weigh nothing

mike

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom