Best pack

H

highcountry06

Just wanted to see what you guys thought the best pack was. I plan on using it for a day pack, maybe and over nighter once in awhile and to haul meat(I hope). Thanks for your input

MainBeam XL pack by Sportsman?s Outdoor Products is perfect for day pack hunting and is also big enough for an overnighter. I packed into the high country in CO last year and stayed for 3 days with the stuff I was able to haul with this pack. I've owned Badlands and a dozen others and this one beats them all, hands down! It's comfortable, has tons of pockets, gun/bow holder, large hip compartments that are accessible without taking off the pack, a perfect place for both your spotting scope and tri-pod, you name it they thought of it. I really can't think of anything I'd change with the pack. To top it all off they have a no BS warranty and will repair or replace your pack no matter what happened to it.

http://www.sophuntinggear.com/hornhunter/site.pl?page=hh01

Good luck,

NvrEnuf

All are good choices, just comes down to personal preference in the end. For me, my choice was either the Eberlestock J105, or the Black Creek Alaskan. In the end I settled on the Blacks Creek. If you can, check them out in person. I spent about three months going to Sportsman's Warehouse (they carry both), trying them on and reading info on the internet (here mostly), before I made my decision. You can't go wrong with any of the packs listed. Scott

http://www.blacks-creek.com/

http://www.eberlestock.com/

I bought the Eberlestock J104 prior to last years season and loved it. It did everything I wanted it do and did it well. Very comfortable pack.

The rifle scabbard was the greatest. To me the only downfall I see is my self imposed overpacking for day trips. It has plenty of useable room and I quickly took advantage of it.

I'm with NeverEnuf on this one. I happen to work with the guys that make this pack. We have put this pack to test over and over again. Last year we hauled out several elk with the pack and never had a problem. Its comfortable, has lots of options and overall is a great pack. The other packs on the website are also great. If you don't want the big pack, you can always go with the fanny packs.
Great packs, as he stated , no questions warranty policy. If it breaks, which it won't, they will replace it for free. If you live here in UT, you can visit their shop at 9352 S. 670 W. in Sandy. They now have a showroom and the packs out on display so you can get a good look at them.

>>>--------------Sixgunn

Nobody has mentioned a Kifaru with cargo chair, or Mystery Ranch NICE frame with cargo carrier and bag.

RR

sixgunn, have you had a chance to look at the new bounty hunter pack? If so what are your thoughts and what is the weight?

I've had 4-5 different day packs but the best so far is the badlands 2200. I wont go back.

TXTrapper,
I don't know much about the Bounty Hunter Pack. From what I have been told, the pack is actually two packs in one and is a fairly heavy pack empty.

>>>--------------Sixgunn

I am definetly all about the horn hunter packs from Sportman's Outdoor Products as well. I have loved every pack that I have put on my back or fanny that I have worn too.... Man I can't tell ya'll how nice it was hauling those elk quarters out last year with the Main Beam XL. Anyhow, just my O2!!!
redelkarcher>>>------------->

What up Spitz? I tried one on last week when I was in Bozetown. Man did it feel good on the back with 70#'s (much better than my EberleStock). If I had $625 in my pocket, I would have taken it home. There are a few guys on that other site using them and I have heard nothing but praise.

The JustOne has it's place, but it is in a different class than the MR (just my opinion).

Hey Man!

I'm glad you tried one on. I have tried on the Eberlestock at Sportsman's but didn't feel like it was a big jump from my current setup. Went and checked out the Mystery Ranch and like you said, different class altogether. I looked at the frame and the daypack portion and came up with a $430 price tag. Were you looking at the complete outfit for $600+? I may just have to piecemeal it, but I think I know what I'll be gettin for my b-day as summer scouting begins.

BTW, I hope you can repair the busted nut you got from man handling those elk last week.

Thought you guys might like this pic of my buddy packing out a lion with his mystery ranch.

Corylion007.jpg

I like this, throw your camp gear in a few compression bags in the fold out area, leave them at camp, and you've got a great daypack or meat hauler.
PLus, their hipbelts are sweet.

45d244101beb0cc0.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Feb-14-07 AT 08:34PM (MST)[p]I looked them over too, in the field under hunting conditions. If you need that type of gear, there's likely few other's you can choose from - it's top notch. It's heavey too, but if you really need mountaineering quality gear, it's about as good as it gets. If you dont, it's WAY overkill, and you will dump major bucks on it!!!!

I think the stuf is great and I'd likely own it if I had the extra grand needed to get fully equiped. . . but if youre not into real hard core mountain hunting or hauling big loads, I's day you can get a better deal on other brands. Not knocking at all, just pointing out that if youre not hauling big loads or doing some serious packing, the weight of the pack alone will scare you off. . .

I use the eberlestock but like MTMILLER said, it has its place, and so too does the ranch!

has anybody tried or had experience with Janssens Hard Core Hunt Pack? how about Mossback's new pack?

I've been trying to find out more info on the Janssens Hard Core Hunt Pack, but there isn't much available on the web. I guess you've gotta call 'em for a catalog. The Mossback looks pretty interesting though. The only drawback I've heard about it is it is a little on the heavy side (although I don't know it's actual weight). Here is a link to a video for the Mossback.

http://www.blacks-creek.com/videos.php

Let me get this straight. The Just One j104 is better than the Badlands 4500???

I'm just about ready to buy the Badlands and now I read all this stuff about the J104. If you had to chose and money was not an issue which one would you take??

I pack in about 6-7 miles and bowhunt a few very rugged canyons. The pack in and out is very important. Is the J104 comfortable?

Give me some feed back guys.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-02-07 AT 08:57AM (MST)[p]Bandit-

I think the J104 is very comfortable. My father in law has back problems and switched to it for the comfort. We went deep into the hills on several trips this past fall and they really were a dream. If you can find one at the store, try it on. See if the store will let you put some dead weight on/in and feel for yourself.

Plus, the functionality of it is priceless IMO.

ODDNUT1
Kirt C.
Hunt Odds.com

Outstanding info guys. Thanks for the help.

Does anyone know if the J104 breaks down at all? Into a day pack or smaller things. Or does it stay one size?

It does not break down, however you can compress it. The problem is you're still carrying the extra weight when you don't need it.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-07 AT 09:30AM (MST)[p]Camelback will be producing NICE bags and frames in conjuction with MysteryRanch. I used my NICE frame and bag on Kodiak last fall and liked its comfort over the Blacks Creek Alaskan I also have, although theMR setup is heavier.
The CamelBak version are not as expensive as MR directly. They're discounted at LAPgear.

http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm
http://www.mysteryranch.com
http://www.lapolicegear.com/camyralatapa.html

I hear that the Eberlestock 105 is being upgraded to a 107 model.

Doug~RR

Does anyone own a mossback? It looks pretty nice and lots of functions just don't know how much the thing weighs. Looks like they put alot of thought in this product just wonder how it holds up and if it is as usable in the field as they say. Not a bad price either. Would love to se one first hand.

Brushstomper

Bandit,

The J104 does not break down, however it is a 2100ci daypack until you unzip the main compartment, then it doubles in size to 4200ci, and up to 7000ci if you add the Spike Camp Duffel.

j105-21.jpg

If you are looking for a detachable daypack, the new Eberlestock J107 Dragonfly may be the ticket. Same basic design as the J104, but with some additional features.

J10720descr20red1.jpg

Ed

www.trophyhuntoutfitters.com

Bigbull,

Thanks a ton. That J107 looks enticing. 8.5 pounds is pushing it but I believe the Badland 4500 is 8.6 pounds.

I'm with you brushstomper. This pack really looks good. I would just like to see one first hand before I shoveled out the money for one.

I use a Mysteryranch Nice frame pack with their crew-cab pack bag. Like the one in the picture. It's expensive but well worth the money. It works well and is comfortable. When I saw this pack in person for the first time I was surprised at how compact it is. I have packed out three elk and one mule deer with it and it did its job without any problems. I have two buddies that purchased Nice frames after the saw how well my frame worked. Another buddy just purchased a Kifaru pack; I am interested in checking it out when it's delivered. I doubt that this system is better than the Mystreyranch. I was impressed when my buddy told me that the Rep. from Kifaru made a house call on his way to a military presentation. The Rep. showed him all the packs and demonstrated the features of each one. My buddy ended up buying Kifaru packs for his entire family. That's pretty good service.

I am also searching for my next day pack. If anyone is interested I have a J104 for sale over in the classified. Torso doesnt adjust and i just could not get mine dialed in on heavy loads. I have ordered a Kelty cache hauler to haul in camp/haul out meat and am looking for a day pack to strap to the frame for the day to day. I was at Sportsmans Wharehouse today looking at the blacks creek alaskan and would like to hear more feedback from a current user.
THanks in advance.

JimmyA
I think I am going to pass on the grizzly but thanks for the heads up. I received the Kelty cache hauler from REI and returned it the same day. Very well made external frame and would have fit the bill for what I wanted but I coudnt get the waisbelt to work for me. Back to the drawing board. I do still have that J104 in the classifieds if anyone has a interest.
MIke

When you guys use these pack do you pack in overnight gear such as tents, sleeping bags, compact cook stoves etc. Also are they big enough to pack in compact gear and pack out a deboned mule deer plus gear. Thanks for any input.

I have a nimrod and have used them for work all summer long and I would highly recomend to anyone, like wamuleyhunter said lots of options and very versatile.
WACAT

I had the copy of the Hardcore based on a Molle fram from Wilderness packs and it was well made, but sqeeked and was not comfortable in my opinion. Sold after 1-elk hunt. I did not care for my J104, but love my 105. It is heavy for a day pack, but will come in if you need to haul elk or pack in. One day when I have the cash I am going NICE.

I love Hornhunter packs. I have the G2 for daypack and the Mainbeam for packing in.When you are wearing a pack all day, the #1 most important thing is comfort. Hornhunter is the most comfortable, well thought out pack I have ever used. Go check them out in Sandy. You will see for yourself.

Just an FYI, Sierra Trading Post has Eberlestock X1 packs for $80. That is a GREAT price. I ordered one for that price to go with my J105.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom