Best puffy jacket?

Killcarp2

Hey all,

I am trying to figure out which puffy jacket I want to invest in. I have gone through a few cheapy ones and I am going to just break down and spend some money on a good one. I wear Sitka mostly but their kelvin lite jacket seems chincy to me. I have watched kuiu puffys melt next to a camp fire so that is out. I am looking at the mtn ops puffy and I have also looked at pnuma gear’s palisade puffy. I am not opposed to buying the Sitka kelvin jacket but wanted to seek out some feedback. I don’t wear my puffy as an outer layer generally but I don’t want one that is just gonna tear. Any input or other brand ideas are welcome.

Check out WONRATE GEAR .COM they have a nice puffy jacket. Joel Williams is the owner give him a call super nice guy and see if it fits your bill.

I am not opposed to buying the Sitka kelvin jacket but wanted to seek out some feedback.
The upgrade that replaced the Kelvin series is great, the Aerolite model. The Primaloft material that they use for insulation shaved off a bit of weight and is just as effective at maintaining warmth.

I mainly use it as a mid-layer when glassing or as an outer layer at camp. They pack down to nothing so I take it with me even on the early archery hunts.

The upgrade that replaced the Kelvin series is great, the Aerolite model. The Primaloft material that they use for insulation shaved off a bit of weight and is just as effective at maintaining warmth.

I mainly use it as a mid-layer when glassing or as an outer layer at camp. They pack down to nothing so I take it with me even on the early archery hunts.
It seems the aerolite outer fabric isn’t quite as tough as the kelvin lite. I don’t typically wear puffys as an outer layer but every one I have has ripped

Stone glacier works well and keeps me warmer and is lighter than the Kuiu jacket.

I have a Montbell altiplano that might be the best puffy on the market in terms of min weight and max warmth. It's honestly too warm for anything I do so I rarely use it and default to my Kuiu super down. Not sure it would be fire resistant though but at least another quality brand worth checking out.

I have a Kelvin lite vest. its warm, I have worn it A LOT! It's discolored at this point, but I don't have any tears. To warm to wear when I'm hiking, i peel it off if I'm gonna go busting through brush. Had a Kuiu kenai really liked it (wore it everywhere), it's demise was too many beers at a concert, poof into thin air it disappeared. Someone got a really nice coat. Now I'm using my older uncompahgre, which I also really like, other than the sizing, they run big.. Rifle hunting I wear them under a rain coat.

Thanks for the feedback. Ended up finding a screaming deal on Sitka kelvin lite and ordered one.
I was about to mention that they are having a massive discount on some of their gear. Started off with their main site but now their resellers are catching on. 25-50% off right now

I wore a Kuiu puffy in Wyoming this last week and walked through some pretty stout brush. I was worried about it ripping or getting holes in it but it didnt. They are light and pack down to nothing. I was never cold wearing it even in the 20's.

Check out WONRATE GEAR .COM they have a nice puffy jacket. Joel Williams is the owner give him a call super nice guy and see if it fits your bill.
Sorry, but that camo pattern is hard to even look at. Bash Kuiu and Sitka all you want, but at least most of their stuff also comes in solids so I can wear it outside of hunting trips and not look like a complete redneck.

Sorry, but that camo pattern is hard to even look at. Bash Kuiu and Sitka all you want, but at least most of their stuff also comes in solids so I can wear it outside of hunting trips and not look like a complete redneck.
I never bashed Kuiu or Sitka. I don’t even know what the hell you’re talking about. The guy asked for help on a puffy jacket so I told him to check out wonrate camo if he wanted to. I don’t give a rats ass if you think it’s hard to look at either. Bash wonrate camo all you want I really don’t care and will continue to support Joel and wonrate camo cuz it’s great stuff.

Kuiu super down pro is hands down the warmest jacket I e ever put on and I’ve tried a bunch. No you can’t hike through brush in it. No you can’t roll around in the fire in it. They are light down jackets meant to be packed and put on when you get there. It packs small, wind doesn’t cut through it and I’ve been in spots where if I didn’t have it I legitimately could have been in some trouble from cold.

It’s funny when guys don’t understand gear. You want something that’s not going to get ripped up in head high brush buy a coat that’s made for that. Want to be warm when your sitting glassing for hours in November buy the super down

Kuiu super down pro is hands down the warmest jacket I e ever put on and I’ve tried a bunch. No you can’t hike through brush in it. No you can’t roll around in the fire in it. They are light down jackets meant to be packed and put on when you get there. It packs small, wind doesn’t cut through it and I’ve been in spots where if I didn’t have it I legitimately could have been in some trouble from cold.

It’s funny when guys don’t understand gear. You want something that’s not going to get ripped up in head high brush buy a coat that’s made for that. Want to be warm when your sitting glassing for hours in November buy the super down
Great post Pickett. I had the lighter Kuiu down jacket and although good for some situations, it was not quite warm enough. I just bought the Super Down a few weeks back. I have used it a few times and it is better than I expected; very warm and light!

My Texan friend told that the brush in Texas would ruin it in one day. I agree with him but I do not plan to use it that way.

My hunting buddy thinks that's the best product he's ever had but you're right you can't hike through any bush with any of these coats

So one thing I do, since it is a more form fitting jacket. I like wearing mine coyote hunting but sage will tear the chit out of it. So I throw one of my camo hoodies on over it. You wanna talk about staying warm then. It is so nice and I haven’t torn it once.

I fully understand gear, I have never hiked with a down jacket as an outer layer, nor I have I rolled round on the ground or fire. The Kuiu I was referring to that melted was a guy sitting not really close, and when changing in and out of gear and/or stuffing my jacket into my pack it has ripped. I’ve also ripped one standing up from sitting down glassing for hours and ripped it on a piece of sage I was sitting next to. Was just looking for one a little more durable. No need to be a d**k.

So one thing I do, since it is a more form fitting jacket. I like wearing mine coyote hunting but sage will tear the chit out of it. So I throw one of my camo hoodies on over it. You wanna talk about staying warm then. It is so nice and I haven’t torn it once.
Killcarop, this is what I was gonna recommend. Even a baggy camo sunhoody( thin material) helps protect the puffy fabric. I also size my gortrx type layer larger to fit over it and protect it.

Killcarop, this is what I was gonna recommend. Even a baggy camo sunhoody( thin material) helps protect the puffy fabric. I also size my gortrx type layer larger to fit over it and protect it.
I think that putting a thin hoodie over the puffy is a great idea. I will try that next year....

Consider Kramerica Industries...

1709175313918.png

Kuiu super down is the best by far! I’ve tried most of them.

I just received a box of new gear this morning. One item being the Sitka Kelvin Aerolite puffy. It’s synthetic but light and very packable. Quality and fit is great. Plus I was able to try it on to find the right size before ordering.

I just received a box of new gear this morning. One item being the Sitka Kelvin Aerolite puffy. It’s synthetic but light and very packable. Quality and fit is great. Plus I was able to try it on to find the right size before ordering.
They sent you a box of gear? You MUST be a white male.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom