Best Rifle for Daughter

buckbagr

I never had a problem with my sons, but I've got two girls bringing up the tail end of my family. I started my older daughter with a .243. She is 17 now and my younger daughter will start hunting this fall it is likely that they may both have tags. I need to by another gun and I thought about another 243, but my 17 year old could probably handle a little more recoil now. Though we mainly hunt deer I wouldn't mind a caliber that could kill an elk also. Any ideas of the perfect young woman caliber. Also any makes I should look into. Best bang for my buck I guess. It's been a while since I went rifle shopping. Thanks in advance.

Weatherby recently came out with a reasonably priced rifle designed for women - the Camilla in the Vanguard series. Stocked in short action calibers, but 6.5 Creedmor, 7mm-08 or .308 with a stout bullet are sufficient for elk at reasonable distances.

That is a good choice, but if you want to stick to calibers that you can get ammo readily and cheaper, I would go with either a 270 or a 30-06. 'O6 can be loaded from 150 gr to 180 for anything that she will hunt.

Also, for both calibers you can get reduced recoil ammo from Remington and Hornady until they work up to bigger. Reduced ammo should be sufficient for deer up to 200 yards

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I had the same problem. Girls bring up the rear. ? I tried a 6 mm. But it was a little light for elk. One of the girls lost a cow hit in the shoulder. So it had to be a rifle that could handle both deer and elk. I went with the good old 270. It's worked out great for us. Not a lot of recoil but not a 243 that's a little light for elk. Unless it's just the perfect shot on a elk. With girls it's not always going to be that perfect shot.

We picked up a Tikka T3 in 270win. for our Grandson....moderate price, light weight but the rifles recoil was brutal....to keep the price down Tikka used a butt pad hard as a rock....no fun to shoot out of the box. So took it to a gunsmith added a top quality recoil pad no easy task on the composite stock needing to cut a bit to allow for recoil pad and proper fit...added a KDF muzzel brake now recoil is like a 20ga. Shotgun......then there is a limited amount of scope mounts that will fit this rifle...We got lucky when calling Cabelas asking about a scope mount the guy on the phone had a Tikka T3 so he told me the only mount that Cabelas carried that fit on the rifle.....real lucky and a real pain.....moral to the story....buy something else IMO...wood stock unless your girl is good sized and you dont need to modify the stock....throw a quality recoil pad on it and will last her forever....any of these calibers will do the job with a well placed shot....270win, 308win. 30/06 honestly there is little difference in recoil from most of these calibers shooting from a bench....shooting at game the rush of the moment takes your mind off the recoil....IMO....good luck have fun....did'nt tell you what to buy just our experiences...

))))------->

All good info!
I'd vote for the 270 since it can be loaded up and down the spectrum in regard to bullets weight and speed (recoil), factory ammo is readily availabe in quite a variety too.
Zeke

My daughter has been shooting a Browning a-bolt 270wsm (now X bolt) since she was 12. 270 short mag w/composite stalk weighs 6.5 lbs. and recoil is not bad at all. She has taken many deer since....and I carry it as well.

I like the 7mm-08 cartridge for smaller shooters. The beauty is that you can shoot 120 grain bullets with very modest recoil or step up to 140 or 150 grain bullets if you're shooting larger game or longer distances. Also, the 7mm caliber is more efficient in short barrels than smaller calibers such as .264 or .257.

You might look at Remington's model seven or model 700 mountain SS. Kimber has started making a rifle with a cheaper stock that might be worth a gander as well. Its called the Hunter I believe.

My daughter is super tiny. She turned 12 last year and I ended up buying her the Savage Axis II in a 7mm-08. I think the caliber works great for her! The gun itself is what it is. I like Savage but the Axis is a pretty low-end gun.

>Weatherby recently came out with a
>reasonably priced rifle designed for
>women - the Camilla in
>the Vanguard series. Stocked in
>short action calibers, but 6.5
>Creedmor, 7mm-08 or .308 with
>a stout bullet are sufficient
>for elk at reasonable distances.
>

The review in American Hunter was pretty good. I might have to buy one for my better third ?.
Like TX hunter, stick with the easy to find calibers like 270 or 308

"With girls it's not always going to be that perfect shot."

In the words of Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday in Wyatt Earp:

"I beg to differ, sir."

My wife, at all of 120lbs, can shoot my 7mm Weatherby mag at 300yds better than I can. I'd put my oldest daughter's rifle accuracy against any of your sons.

Jus sayin

> "With girls it's not always
>going to be that perfect
>shot."
>
>In the words of Val Kilmer
>as Doc Holliday in Wyatt
>Earp:
>
>"I beg to differ, sir."
>
>My wife, at all of 120lbs,
>can shoot my 7mm Weatherby
>mag at 300yds better than
>I can. I'd put
>my oldest daughter's rifle accuracy
>against any of your sons.
>
>
>Jus sayin

Well when they were younger. My 23 year old daughter is a crack shot. She shoots long range with me. Has shot big guns for most of her young life with out a flinch or twerk. She has been shooting my 300 Tejas since she was 15 , 50 cal, 408 shooting a 425 grain copper bullet . She actually has the longest kill on a animal in our family at 800 yards. It's just came together that way. Those shots just come to you. When it's right it's rights one shot kill.

>I went with the savage 7mm-08,
>and do not like it.
> My 17 year old
>daughter used my 270 last
>year on elk and it
>went well.

Why don't you like the Savage? Any particular reason, or just personal preference?

When my daughter was 12 I got her a 257 weatherby. I had my gun smith put a muzzle brake on it and it has very little kick. She has taken mule deer and large black bears with great success. She shoots a 120 grain bullet and it works great ! She is now 16 and she will be able to use this gun on many animals for a long time to come.

.308 my daughter took a bull with it when she was 13, and my son took a cow with it at age 12. one shot each and both dropped the elk in their tracks. I had loaded up some handloads on the lighter side for them but they also shot standard loads with no issues.

If you are looking for a great shooting cheap gun, the Remington 783 is a fantastic choice.

Look at the ballistics comparing the .308 to anything else that uses the same amount of powder and uses the same weight projectile. You will be hard pressed to find anything comparable for a standard cheap cartridge. It is a very efficient cartridge.

I have a .257 weatherby, a .270, a 7mm-08 and 6.5 creedmore.

I think the 6.5 creedmore wins hands down. Look at the ballistic charts and recoil. The gun matters, but given those calibers in the same gun with similar bullet weight, the 6.5 creedmore has the least recoil and most retained energy the further you go with the least drop.

+1 on the 6.5 Creedmoor. Factory rounds are much more available now. 140 grain Partition or Acubond is plenty of bullet for deer and elk. I prefer the Partitions. My daughter age 16 and son age 12 have used it for deer, antelope, elk, and a desert BH ram.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-02-17 AT 10:34AM (MST)[p]I also recommend the creedmoor. I have a browning x-bolt hell's canyon and I love it! Extremely accurate and next to no recoil. I grew up on a .257 roberts in a browning a-bolt with a stock that had been ran through the table saw and it was/is a great gun as well. Both guns will be great to hand down to my son.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom