Best round for coyotes and varmits

alp75

Very Active Member
So I think I am going to pull the trigger on another rifle here soon. I have always been a one all around rifle for big game kind of guy. But I'd like to get a rifle that is cheaper to shoot, has good ballistics and works well on smaller animals like coyotes. So what are your favorite rounds and why? I am also thinking of getting it in an AR-15 style rifle as well, but I don't want to sacrifice down range accuracy. Will an AR still be good and accurate or should I just look at getting a standard bolt action rifle? Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

I can cover four shots at a hundred yards with a dime outta my AR with the stock barrel. I love it! It's my go to gun for calling now.

Don't have much experience with the AR. I shoot a Ruger hawkeye in 22-250 with hornaday 50 grain v-max bullets, getting 1/1/2 inch groups at 200 yards. But the 223 will be cheaper to shoot and will kill coyotes out to 300 yards. So depending on your shooting limits might look at the 223.

I love my AR and it is as accurate as you will ever need for coyotes. That being said, I also reload and much prefer reloading for my bolt actions. Full length sizing adds a lot of time to the process and is something that has to be done with the AR platform. I have drifted towards using my bolt action in .243 Win. The ballistics are awesome and you can really reach out with it. Very reloader friendly round to. The cool factor definitely belongs to the AR though.

hunting052.jpg

smiley-violent064.gif

Any of the calibers mentioned so far will more than do the job. I'm an old fart that is not into the ARs and shoot a Sako .243 bolt action that shoots dime groups all day if I do my job behind it!

Another vote here for the .243 great caliber for yotes, and it can still handle larger game like antelope and deer.

AR's are to mechanical for me and a pain in the butt to clean. I'm an old school guy that still likes the bolt actions. Lots of good choices and if ya reload almost any of the 22's or smaller will do with plenty of ammo choices available. I went with the 223 simply because of popularity and the ballistics. If I reloaded though I would likely look at the 204 or one the the smaller caliber calhoun's.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

I shoot everything from a 17 to a 243 at coyotes.

The 17 won't kill one consistantly outside 100 yards. The 204 will cut one in half at 250 yards. The 219 Zipper is good for about 300, if you hit them right.

If it's windy, I stick to the 243, but my "go to" rifle is the 220 Swift, only because it is what I have been using since my 10th birthday......not the same one, they only last about 2000 rounds. I love the speed! The damage out to 500 yards is devastating.

Don't want to get in an arguement, but the 223 will kill lots of stuff WELL beyond 300 yards and is by far, the least expensive to shoot, has low recoil and high volume.

Proper optics and a super tuned trigger and the AR is monster capable of shooting "minute of coyote" out to.....?

"Fathom the hypocracy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove that they are insured.....but not everyone must prove that they are a citizen"

.222 and .204 for me, both are tack drivers on Dogs.

"Eating tag soup is better than getting your hands bloody for some 175" dink that you rookies like to post so often."

Horn_Star

I'm a bolt action kinda guy. I shoot a Browning M1000 Eclipse 22-250. I wanna give the 204 and 257 Weatherby a try out on coyotes!

Traditional >>>------->

Anybody have any experience with the Remington R-15 rifles? They seem to be an AR platform with an emphasis on hunting and accuracy.

Horsecreek, I know you are over in Midway (I am in heber), where close by do you go to put down a few yotes?

These questions have many answers none are wrong.
They just bring up many more questions.

Seems when you pick one, you sacrifice the qualities of another.
If you get the bug real bad, you will inevitably end up with several favorites.

You want a long range gun?
Lots of choices, Just a few .243, .22-250, Swift, even a .25-06.

You saving hides?
That changes the right answer.
.223 is great, but on windy days can drift around a bit.

Closer, but deadly? shotgun w/#4 buckshot.

You want something affordable to shoot? (factory ammo)?
The .223 is the only real answer.

I use a Remington 700 in .243 with standard "blue box" factory rounds in 80 gr soft point.
Bucks wind well, no recoil & reaches out there.
Considering the velocity it really doesn't blow up hides too bad either as long as they ain't point blank.

I know nothing of black rifles, so I'll leave that to those to those who do.

Good Luck.

Anybody been looking into that new .17 hornet? I think this may be a sweet new round. Savage is going to offer it in the 25 platform around february I believe. Could be a great little gun for those calmer days.

smiley-violent064.gif

LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-11 AT 10:26AM (MST)[p]Funny you asked that question Darktimber! I just took a look at this thread and was going to ask if anybody is using a 22 Hornet. I have a Savage Model 219 with an unknown 3x9x32 scope on it that was my Dad's. He just passed away on 9/11 and it is one of a number of guns that I have in my safes. I haven't even had a chance to shoot it yet, but I also have a full box of Hornady 35 gr. V-Max ammo for it. The box shows that +2.7" at 100 gives a zero at 200, but it's -16.8" at 300. I would think it would be a great round for woodchucks and yotes out to 200-225 yards. Anyone have any comments on that caliber and round on either species? Now that I'm home for the winter after my long Fall trip I'd like to get it ready for some yotes this winter and chucks in the Spring. Here is a picture of one I found on the web that looks just like it. It appears to be an old timer, but everything, including the bore, appears to be in excellent shape.
6337savage_219_rifle_left_view.jpg

alp 75 I have two R-15 in 204 ruger and love them accuracy is great and with a 22 inch barrel are light enough to carry all day. Both shoot under a half inch at 100 yards at 2 inch groups at 300. I am shooting the 40 gr Bergers out of mine and all coyotes have been Drt. Plus they are already camo. I have heard a couple guys buying them at walmart for $899.

There is an almost cult following of this classic round. If you find the right people, there is a wealth of knowledge on it. Alot of song dogs have met their demise to the 22 hornet. It was a varmint caliber when varmint calibers just weren't cool yet. The .17 is just a necked down version of it that Hornady is coming out with. The .17 attains 3600 fps though! I like the idea because the other .17's are either under powered like the HMR or to fast like the Rem, which causes rapid barrel and throat erosion. This one seems to have met perfect middle ground. I think it is similar to the .17 ackley but being commercialized.

smiley-violent064.gif

I had a Bushy 223 Predator and really liked it. It had a 24" stainless barrel that shot great groups. It killed dogs pretty well too with 50gr ballistic tips. You have to get good shot placement or they will run a bit though.
I love the 257Wby shooting 85gr ballistic tips or V-Max bullets. Dogs are in trouble out to 500 yds, not much drop with those little bullets screaming out the barrel. It is my long shot gun. It isn't the gun you use if you want to save hides.

I have a 222, 22-250 and a 243. They all are great varmint rounds and each has its attributes. If I had to choose just one it would be the 22-250. It will do all you need and more. It's fast, flat and a joy to shoot.

22-250, fast, flat, great for fur, bucks the wind better. There's no better round for coyotes in any weather condition or distance!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

If you have a little mechanical skill and buy the pieces right you can put you're own AR together for under $600

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-19-11 AT 11:35AM (MST)[p]I bought one of the silly AR-15 rifles. It was only silly until I shot it. THE DARN THING SHOOTS MOA right out of the box! I haven't had it long enough to kill with it

I've used a Sako in 22-250 and a .222 for years and I've loved them.

I've got a new wildcat 6mm WSM (barrel burner). We'll see how it works but it's shooting great so far.

Zeke

I love my AR. Its cheap to shoot has no kick and is VERY accurate. I would look at Rock River Arms. They put out a heck of a gun with guaranteed accuracy of sub 3/4 inch at 100 yards. Mine loves everything I put in it so far.

respect my authorita

Only thing i did to my AR was take the flash hider off and put one on that sends everything forward so it wasn't so damm loud to shoot. Once you get the lower the sky is the limit from there. Anything your pocket book will allow!!

I had a NEF Handi rifle in 22 hornet. Loved the round, the rifle, not so much. It was a good yote killer out to 150 yards. Past that the velo drops off. I'd love to see a modern case designed around hornet ballistics. One that was easy to reload without collapsing the case so often.

Someone mentioned the 25-06 and i dusted a lot of yotes with mine. It was intended to be my deer rifle but i always seemed to have plenty of ammo so used it on everything from ground squirrels to jacks and yotes, right up to deer season where it really shined.

Back then, i shot Winchester 100 grainers for everything. I took some yotes way the heck out there in good strong winds that probably would have blown lighter bullets even more than they did mine. Most importantly i believe, was i was more than ready for deer season when it was time. A big ol buck was nothing to drop when i had been consistently hitting varmints all year with the same gun out there at 300 yds and farther.

Is it "the best" for yotes and stuff? Probably not!
Is it a great all around cartridge from critters to bucks? Absolutely without a doubt, one of the very best ever made!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>I had a NEF Handi rifle
>in 22 hornet. Loved
>the round, the rifle, not
>so much. It was
>a good yote killer out
>to 150 yards. Past
>that the velo drops off.
> I'd love to see
>a modern case designed around
>hornet ballistics. One that
>was easy to reload without
>collapsing the case so often.
>

Check out the 221 Fireball... Neat little round

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I love to use the Hornet while calling coyotes. I suppose I have shot 40 or 50 with it and can only recall losing one, and I found it the next morning. I have used 35 vmax and 40gr and 45 gr sp. I kind of lean to the sire points for coyotes as the v-maxs come apart a little too much a little too fast for me sometimes. After all they were designed as a p-dog bullet.

"In the breast of every meat hunter there beats the heart of a secret, frustrated trophy hunter."

its bullet placement imo you can use a 300 or a 22 i have personaly witnessed both take them down!! i however use a
22-250 that i love and does a great job as you can see!!!! good luck on your yote killin!!

7439img_6783.jpg

So if guns kill people, I suppose pencils misspell words, cars drive drunk, and spoons make people fat...

Though I use the Hornet quite a bit, I would say my 220 Swift is by far better. The BEST coyote gun I have had was a 240 Weatherby. Shot the barrel out, and traded it for the Swift.

"In the breast of every meat hunter there beats the heart of a secret, frustrated trophy hunter."

You will have a hard time beating a .243 for ballistics, price, and availability, plus it is good for a variety of sized game and can reach out a ways. Make sure to go with the standard and not the mags or shorts; they will increase the price and be hard to find.

You made a good choice, that's gonna be a sweet setup for yotes and other critters..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom