Best universal tree cam lock box

mountainmac1

I want some suggestions on the best universal lock box and best way to secure them down. I have had my cables cut a few years ago by an outstanding citizen of the hunting community. Let me know on any suggestions.

There are none . 3 years ago when I started to utilize TrailCam's , I bought a few lock box's . They don't work . It makes it a lot more complicating to get to your cam, but if someone wants your Cam, they will take it , regardless . So rather paying 30.00 to 50.00 a lock box, I just buying predrilled steel , cut it to size and use Locktite Construction adhesive to mold to the camera's , then use a 1/4" Lock through the steel brackets . It's impossible to dismantle w/o destroying the whole camera, which they'd do anyways if it were in a lock box.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-12 AT 10:28PM (MST)[p]Check out Stand Guardian. They make boxes for a lot of cameras that are higher gauge steel boxes than what are normally available from the main manufacturers. They also sell cable locks that are an inch thick and are supposed to be extremely heavy duty. They claim that you can't cut it, saw through it, etc. The downside is the weight that this stuff creates, so if your not packing 3 of them you'd probably be ok. These come highly recommended from what I can find but I am sure it's still possible to take it even with this setup.I had to put my purchase on the back burner for two boxes and locks so I can't comment on the quality other than what I've read online.

My faith in cable locks dropped dramatically last year at Elk camp. I had my gas cans secured to a tree with a cable lock and broke the key off. I got out my dremel tool and cut through the cable in about 3 seconds. It was literally like cutting butter with a hot knife. My cable wasn't 1" thick, but I couldn't imagine it being much harder to cut....... Terry

LAST EDITED ON Aug-09-12 AT 11:59AM (MST)[p]No matter how secure your camera is, the tree its on is always vulnerable. If someone want's it, all they need to do is cut the tree down.

I buy cameras with cable holes running through the back, then I go buy lengths of cable and make the loops myself. I'm sure with a few tools, someone could get them down pretty easy.

You just have to realize that you are taking a HUGE risk everytime you put a camera out. Never assume it will be safe, or you will be very disappointed.

Some pics:

436spy_point_trail_cam.jpg

5979spy_point_trail_cam_2.jpg

If someone wants mine bad enough they will need to go back home and get a tree climber. Then bring a cable cutter or why not just cut the whole tree down? My cameras are 10 to 12 feet off the ground on a limb less tree. It takes great pictures from there and it is always there when I come back for it. Someone wants it that bad then go for it.

435game_cam_tree.jpg

GBA

Best idea so far, put them high enough no one can even check the card.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-12 AT 05:51PM (MST)[p]Best way to not get a camera stolen is to place it where human traffic is very unlikely. I know its tough to find such places, but it's worth it. I also use the lock box for my bushnell trophy cams. I use it with the idea that the average guy walking around in the woods is not packing a hammer, pry bar or bolt cutters. I also like the lock boxes because I don't have to re-adjust the camera each time I check it.

I will also add that high up in a tree is great as most people walking through the woods don't tend to look up.....hence never realizing there is a $250 camera taking pics of their lid.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom