Beware of cable slides!

King_B

The other day I was shooting my bow and the cable slide broke. When I took my bow in, they said that there have been a lot of cable slides breaking lately. Check your before you go out to the field! If it breaks out there, you're screwed!!

My cable slide broke on me while I was on an Elk hunt. I didnt have the time to go clear back into town to fix it and I wasnt sure if I had to order a new one or if the archery shop had them on hand. I had some serving in my archery tackle and because the slide just split on the backside and came off I was able to disconect the cables and wrap serving string around the whole slide and keep it together. It worked great and shot just fine. I even forgot about it until after the season was over.

Bring an extra cable slide along...because you're right, it's one small piece of equipment that can ruin a hunt quickly if it fails!

Especially carry extras if you own a bowtech or diamond. When I bought my diamond they gave me two extras and told me the one that comes on the bow is a POS and will break. It broke within the first 100 shots. I replaced it with a limbsaver slide and so far so good but will definitely carry extras when in the field.

Has anyone tried the Windstalker Cable Guard? I picked one up at Cabela's for $8 bucks and was thinking of trying it. I think it was mis-marked because their site and another area of Cabela's had it listed on Sale for $39.

Just curious!

~Erick

>Especially carry extras if you own
>a bowtech or diamond.
>When I bought my diamond
>they gave me two extras
>and told me the one
>that comes on the bow
>is a POS and will
>break. It broke within
>the first 100 shots.
>I replaced it with a
>limbsaver slide and so far
>so good but will definitely
>carry extras when in the
>field.

I actually have a Diamond. They say that the cable slides on the Diamonds do tend to break a lot. When I took mine in that's what they said. I replaced the old one with a new limbsaver slide. They say those won't break. We'll see.

I would definetly have some backups in your hunting pack. I buddy and I were shooting the other night and his cable slide broke also. He shoot the bowtech alliegence. Would hate to be stuck in the mountains and not have a backup.

good post,
i never give a second thought to slides,
i have backup everything, release, peep. peep rubber, sight pins. serving. quiver, arrows.
i will go get a couple slides this week.

thanks.

Your right on with the Diamond bows. I had mine crack after about 300 shots. I didn't notice it until I took my bow in to have it paper tuned and set it on the counter. Great post!!

>Should have bought a Mathews! Roller
>guards are the way to
>go.

not necessarily, i've personally seen a cable jump off a roller and he ended up with both cables over one roller! bad situation but luckily we were not in the field at the time.

My 06 Bowtech Alli had clearance probs with Blazers so I put a Saunders Hyper glide on it. Seams to be a great slide. I just picked up a new 07 commander that is really close on the clearance so I will be getting another hyper slide. I have a 05 old glory that still has the original Bowtech slide on it with no signs of trouble.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-09 AT 10:54PM (MST)[p]I've never had one break in 25 years of shooting and bowhunting, but with that said, GotBowAZ, that is a great tip on how to fix one. I'll have to remember that :)

Cheers,
Pete

<edit> LOL, just saw this was an old thread. Hehehe, Still a good tip though. Thanks for bringing this one back up Sliver.

looks cool,
but i might be tired or dumb, or a little drunk.
but how do you restring the bow? my ends look like they would have a tuff time going through those small eyelets

live life one mule deer at a time.

I don't know? That is a good question. The bow they come on has the G5 452x matraeo strings which are rumored to be more durable than any other string made. So maybe I'll never have to re-string??

G5 for Life.

}}-SLIVER-->

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom