BH 209 IS legal in Utah

txhunter58

Long Time Member
For those lucky enough to draw a muzzy tag, here is some news hot of the griddle!

Had to ask 3 times, but finally got a for sure answer that BH 209 IS legal in Utah. Here is the response I got:

David,
I was asked by the front desk to check into this and respond to you. I have contacted the company and looked at the literature and this powder meets the legal specifications in Utah. Please feel free to use it for hunting big game. Contact me directly if you have further questions or concerns.

Mike Fowlks
Chief of Law Enforcement
Utah Division of Wildlife Resources
1594 W. North Temple
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I too was curious and e-mailed the maker of BH (Western Powder) and as of yesterday, they also said it was good to go for UT.

Something must have changed because I emailed Western powder in the past with the same question, and they never responded

txhunter58

LAST EDITED ON Apr-17-10 AT 06:14AM (MST)[p]This is the e-mail I got 2 days ago:

Mike,

Thank you for the e-mail. Yes it is legal. The governing authorities that determine powder classifications have determined Blackhorn 209 to be Propellant Solid, UN0499. This is the same classification given to Triple 7, Shockley's Gold and all the other black powder substitutes. Smokeless Powder is classified as Powder, Smokeless UN0161.

I hope this clears things up.

Best regards,
Don Luhr
Western Powders

Thanks for the double confirmation. Guess the "governing bodies" must have come up with that lately.

txhunter58

Now that we got that out of the way, what is your favorite BH209 load? I am fixing to start working on some Thors.

I drew my Henrys tag this year and switched to Barnes MLs and am going to the Blackhorn and start at 90 GR. and work up.The 250 MLS and their factory sabots were really tight so Ive ordered MMPs thinner walled sabots and hope I can get decent groups. I own a Remington Genesis w/ Nikon 1x20.3 Inch groups are the best Ive gotten with Powerbelts 295 gr. And by the way anyone with any Henrys experience or strategys the advice would be greatly appreciated. I will report back on my groupings with the 209 and 250MLs. Thanks IRHUNTR

I have killed an elk the last two years with 90 gr of BH 209 and a 350 Hornady FPB. So far Thors seem to need a little more umph for accuracy out of my gun. About 105 gr is my best load so far with the 300 gr Thors.

txhunter58

I use 120 gr. by volume or 87 grains by weight/mass. I am currently using Barnes 250g TMZ. They leave a 3-shot ragged hole at 100 yards. Around 2100 fps if my memory is any good.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom