Big 5x5 down

lionking

Story to come.....

47d81ada2754674f.jpg

Sorry guys the picture showing is a signature picture of a bull I got yrs ago. I think that might have killed his older brother though. I can't seem to upload from my phone so I will post a pic of the bull 2marrow.

47d81ada2754674f.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-11 AT 02:34PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-11 AT 12:22?PM (MST)

Worked hard for this bull! I got this bull on the reservation. I busted up a herd of elk with several bulls in it, but the ones I saw were smaller. I never did see this guy until I shot him. I followed the herd up and down some canyons and eventually got close enough to see some of the cows. The herd stopped short of an opening and must have not wanted to cross, I knew of this opening and thought that it would be my chance to get a shot at one of the bulls in the herd.
What happen next was a surprise. Like i said I was rushing to get to the opening the elk were heading to and I came over a little rise,this is pretty thick timber, and there was about 30 to 40 cows about 80 to 100 yards just before the opening. This bull was not 50 yards from me looking at his girls, and never knew I was there. I got a good shot on him and another as he was running away and droped him. When I was able to see him on the ground it was a great feeling because I was not being picky on the size of the bull I wanted. Yet I harvested one of the most unique racks to date.
I left my son at home becuz I knew that when I found the elk I was going to track them down and put some meat in the freezer. I wish he was there but the country I was in is rough and unforgiving. Next time. These pictures are from my phone and will post more from the camera when I download them. Thanks for looking.

7936resizedimage_1322498940199.jpg

My boy did get to help pack the bull out the next day! Thanks son!
1299resizedimage_1322500444699.jpg

8378resizedimage_1322500140870.jpg

47d81ada2754674f.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-11 AT 02:35PM (MST)[p]Here are some more pics...enjoy!
Self timer of me and the bull....
1616dsc05162.jpg

The pack out crew...Thanks for the good times and strong backs!
7378dsc05196.jpg

Just another view...
7599dsc05172.jpg

A view of his spread....
5902dsc05168.jpg

Technically he is considered a 5x6 but I will call him a 5x5 with a little extra....who cares he is going on the wall! I have yet to the wife that.....SShhhhh

Lionking
47d81ada2754674f.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-11 AT 04:55PM (MST)[p]Great thirds and gnarly G-1's.

Definitely a cool looking bull.

Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Hey Medicinebow,

Your boy walt got one also. He went to help me pack out my bull and ended up finding another bull 5x6 and was able to harvest it, so we packed out 2 bulls that day. We will see if he gives me permission to post up. Thanks for looking.

Lionking

47d81ada2754674f.jpg

That is one of the best bulls I have seen out of NM this year. I would take that monster over most 6x6s I have seen.
Looks like a really old bull the way his antlers web and sword and how the brow tines are pointing down.
Were his teeth worn down?

Thanks for the comments guys! I am stoked with this bull.

NMPaul, this bull's teeth were actually still big and healthy. I thought that this bull was going to have worn down teeth and just be regressing. This bull was still pretty young 6 yrs old, is what my buddy guessed him at. His G4's really are like machetes. AKA "THE MACHETE BULL!"

Just for fun what do you guys think he might score? It doesn't matter...but I am curious???

47d81ada2754674f.jpg

I will guess 340-350 and I would take that bull over a 6x6 that scores the same any day of the week.

315" - which is big for a 5x5 IMHO.

I can't see 340"+ due to lack of beam length and no fifths, but pictures can be really hard to judge.

Score doesn't really matter on a cool bull like that.

Jeff, great bull man, I love big gnarly 5x5s and that bull is a stud. Score doesn't do a unique 5x5 like that any justice but I bet he nets higher than most guys would guess. Looks pretty wide and those brows are killer. Regardless, congrats on a hell of a bull.

-Cody

www.streamflies.com

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom