Big Boy Fishing

eelgrass

Long Time Member
A recently discovered fishery here on the north coast of California. Bluefin Tuna. Several local charter boats have got the hang of it now. A local research vessel first noticed them and put the word out. The charter boat I went out with yesterday for crab caught this one a couple weeks ago.

51Charter 10-30-23 2.jpg

Here's how you do it.

Eel go out and catch a few and stock up your freezer and Bess and I will raid your freezer when you are away from the house. We won't do it while you are home as we know you keep a double barrel close by for freezer thiefs.
RELH

RELH, I think I'm too old to be tag teaming a 200 pound tuna.

The biggest drawback is finding an ocean calm enough to troll at 10-12 knots. It doesn't happen very often. They use 130 lb test trolling 300 yards behind the boat. The lure costs $60.

Well Eel I love your fish pics snd videos. I call those rids Meat Sticks. I had one for Sturgeon fishing back in the day. The Columbia had some monsters. From the Hanford Reach on down to Bonneville Dam is where I fished.

Well Eel I love your fish pics snd videos. I call those rids Meat Sticks. I had one for Sturgeon fishing back in the day. The Columbia had some monsters. From the Hanford Reach on down to Bonneville Dam is where I fished.
Meat Stick is perfect. Klamath River has sturgeon. I used to watch the Indians fish for them. I've eaten sturgeon a lot but White men can't fish for them.

Eel, have they tried freelining live baits. I know that works for yellowfin here in the gulf and they use a similar technique in the northeast for bluefin. Just a thought.

Eel, have they tried freelining live baits. I know that works for yellowfin here in the gulf and they use a similar technique in the northeast for bluefin. Just a thought.
I haven't heard of that here for Bluefin but I know they do that here for Albacore tuna. It's the ultimate fun. They use live anchovies.

Better get your North coast BF while they are around. Here today, gone manyana. Guys I know, troll the big plugs fast while looking for foamers( jumpers). Throw big poppers or kite fish a flyer..Then hold on!

A couple Napa guys that I know that are real avid ocean guys got into the BF's a couple weeks ago. They got two on the boat (one 263# and one 186#) and then shortly thereafter their buddy pitched a large live bait into a bait ball at the surface. A big bastard took it and straight ran him out of line. Took him to the end and broke him off. Couldn't slow it down, awesome fish!!!
Best eating thing in the ocean in my opinion.

Friend of mine caught a hundred pounder and a 200 pounder the week before we left on his early Kiabab hunt. Nothing like fresh BBQ’ed tuna streaks on a deer hunt.

Eel

Hows Sherri doing I want to go Halibut fishing with them again this year

DH53
Sherri is as sweet as ever and her cookies alone are almost worth the trip. I like how she lets Tim pretend to be the Captain. :) The deck hand Lonnie is an old mill worker and we go way back.

Sherri is as sweet as ever and her cookies alone are almost worth the trip. I like how she lets Tim pretend to be the Captain. :) The deck hand Lonnie is an old mill worker and we go way back.
yes her cookies are the bomb it's great you get back to the dock from a long day of fishing and she has warm cookies waiting.
Lonnie is a kick and yes it is funny how Tim thinks he runs the show...LOL

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom