Big Brownie

chipc

Very Active Member
8149220160515222838.jpg

Just sittin' around waiting for the 4 feet of snow we have to melt and thought I'd share. I killed him 2 years ago on Chichagof Island. An honest 9'5" Squared. Skull 25- 0.

that's so AWESOME!!! Congrats, they are top on my bucket list...

Give us a little play by play on it if you wouldn't mind?

Tikka, I was on a "boat hunt" (which was awesome) with Alaska Raven guides in Mid - May. Flew into Sitka and then took a nicely converted 55 foot tug boat about 60 miles north into a long interior bay on Chichagof. We anchored the big boat and stayed on itat night. To hunt we combed the shorelines and tidal flats by cruising in a 16 foot alumacraft. When we saw one worth a closer look we'd beach the boat a mile or so away and attempt a stalk. We stalked 7. 4 we passed because they were too small or sows. 2 wandered off by the time we got there and we killed this one on the 5th day. He was following a sow along the shoreline and we cut him off. The sow walked by us at 25 yards and he would have done the same but the guide told me to shoot him "before he's in our lap" which I thought was a good idea. I shot him 3 times with my .375 at about 50 yards. He wasn't going anywhere after the first one but I was instructed to "keep shooting until they stop wiggling" which I also thought was a good idea. We saw some bears twice but we tried to keep track of how many we saw. I believe we saw 35 different Brown Bears in 5 days. It was insane. Anyway, it was a dream come true for me and I HIGHLY encourage you to do it if you can.

Congrats on a great bear. I know a family here in St George that runs one of those boat base camps in Alaska. Seems like a nice way to go. A bed to sleep in every night. A nice warm meal and sometimes a seafood feast when they pull the pots.

Thanks chip, That's good stuff...

One day I'll do just that, this November I'm hunting Kodiak for blacktails...

I'm sure that will sink the bug even more...

Beautiful bear! Sounds like the kind of hunt I would like to experience. About how much did it cost, all in?

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

>Congrats on a great bear. I
>know a family here in
>St George that runs one
>of those boat base camps
>in Alaska. Seems like a
>nice way to go. A
>bed to sleep in every
>night. A nice warm meal
>and sometimes a seafood feast
> when they pull the
>pots.

John, I filmed and produced their video "Hunting Alaskas' Coastal Giants" if you are referring to Glacier Guides/Rosenbruchs.

He has snowshoes for feet, Those are some huge PAWS.
"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>>Congrats on a great bear. I
>>know a family here in
>>St George that runs one
>>of those boat base camps
>>in Alaska. Seems like a
>>nice way to go. A
>>bed to sleep in every
>>night. A nice warm meal
>>and sometimes a seafood feast
>> when they pull the
>>pots.
>
>
>John, I filmed and produced their
>video "Hunting Alaskas' Coastal Giants"
>if you are referring to
>Glacier Guides/Rosenbruchs.

Yes I have the video. Good job looks top notch. But I think they have gotten a newer nicer boat seen you did that !

>>>Congrats on a great bear. I
>>>know a family here in
>>>St George that runs one
>>>of those boat base camps
>>>in Alaska. Seems like a
>>>nice way to go. A
>>>bed to sleep in every
>>>night. A nice warm meal
>>>and sometimes a seafood feast
>>> when they pull the
>>>pots.
>>
>>
>>John, I filmed and produced their
>>video "Hunting Alaskas' Coastal Giants"
>>if you are referring to
>>Glacier Guides/Rosenbruchs.
>
>Yes I have the video. Good
>job looks top notch. But
>I think they have gotten
>a newer nicer boat seen
>you did that !

Yes they have another boat. I was on the Alaskan Grandeur. It's been nearly 15 years since I did that video. Jim Sr. has since retired. I believe Mutts ended up with running the guide service.

Beautiful bear. I was on the peninsula hunting last May. Memories for a lifetime.
Congratulations on a great bear!

Great looking bear. I fished on Chichagof Island and saw a few like that but probably not that big. Did you have a mount done?

Congrats on a beautiful bear.
I seen a show that they were hunting for black bear on a boat. It looked very cool.
The one I saw had a chef that prepared fresh seafood, had a proper wine selection.
I can't remember the cost of the hunt but I believe it was pretty pricey.

BIGJOHNT, who are the people you mentioned that do the brown bear hunt?

Thanks Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

Yeah, some of those boats are pretty fancy. Glacier Guides (Rosenbruchs) and Keenan McCarty run yachts with white linens and Chefs. They are significantly more expensive as you'd guess. The one I was on was an old tug boat. Clean, warm, dry and comfortable but not fancy. A floating hunting camp.

Eel, So far I have the hide tanned and I'm trying to decide what to do with it :) I don't really feel like spending $6,000 on a lifesize mount that I can't fit in my house ! So, I'm thinking about a rug. We'll see.

Hey chipc thanks for the info. That looks so cool.
Big money but cool as hell

Thanks again
Joe

-Joe E Sikora

OMG! What a hoss! Congratulations!

I'm guessing you were looking for a Sasquatch when you saw his tracks!

I would have to say thats a pretty impressive mount ! I guess you would have to say to the poster Chip. You only live once. Full body mount!

HH, that's a beauty

Joe

-Joe E Sikora

Is there a difference between a Kodiak bear and the other brown bears?

Thanks Joe

-Joe E Sikora

I don't believe there are any genetic differences with the Kodiak Brown bear but I could be wrong. I was told however, by a master guide that there are some genetic differences with the Brown bear on the ABC islands that they share with polar bears. Whether that is factually true or not, I've no idea because I never researched it.

Did anyone else see the SCI raffle for a
7-DAY COASTAL ALASKA BLACK BEAR HUNT FOR TWO HUNTERS
$20 a chance?

Joe

-Joe E Sikora

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom