Big Game Draw Questions - New here.......

R

rockclimber

Yes, I know it is very close to the deadline. My wife was recently admitted to the hospital for a long stay, and as such the draw has been the FARTHEST thing from my mind.......

First year applying in CA. Due to the hospital stay i'm doubting i'll even get to hunt this year. I'd dig at least getting a preference point. Reading the CA hunting digest book it sounds like i need to purchase a license and mail in my 1st deer tag application. It sounds like the majority of my applicaiton fee is refundable if I don't draw? (state keeps $4)?

Question is: My dad (nonresident) would also like to apply for a preference point. I know we can apply as a group but is there a way that he can apply without spending $145 on a non-resident hunting license? Is any of the non-residnet deer tag application ($245)refunded if we don't draw, what about if we only get a preference point?

Is there a better way to go about this?
Reading the CA hunting digest didn't seem to provide any info regarding the non-res questions.....

thanks
RC

First year applying in CA. Due to the hospital stay i'm doubting i'll even get to hunt this year. I'd dig at least getting a preference point. Reading the CA hunting digest book it sounds like i need to purchase a license and mail in my 1st deer tag application. It sounds like the majority of my applicaiton fee is refundable if I don't draw? (state keeps $4)?

THAT IS CORRECT.

Question is: My dad (nonresident) would also like to apply for a preference point. I know we can apply as a group but is there a way that he can apply without spending $145 on a non-resident hunting license? Is any of the non-residnet deer tag application ($245)refunded if we don't draw, what about if we only get a preference point?

SAME FOR A NON-RESIDENT, HE HAS TO BUY THE LICENSE AND TAG BUT THE CHOICE OF HUNT IS THE CODE FOR PREFERENCE POINT: PD SINCE IT IS FOR PP ONLY, I WOULD THINK HE WOULD GET HIS REFUND TOO JUST LIKE YOU MINUS THE SAME FEE LIKE YOURSELF.

Is there a better way to go about this?
Reading the CA hunting digest didn't seem to provide any info regarding the non-res questions.....

KIND OF LATE NOW TO CALL F&G AND GET SOME ANSWERS, YOU MIGHT WANT TO HOLD OFF TILL NEXT SEASON AND TODAY IS THE LAST DAY FOR MAILING TO REACH THEM BY 5PM ON TUESDAY JUNE 2ND.

GOOD LUCK

Brian

xvvgp.jpg

Kilowatt,
Thanks for the answers. Kinda confirms what I gathered from the (somewhat difficult to understand) CA hunt book.

Is it typical to have to purchase a license (especially a non-resident) if you only want to apply for a preference point, or is that just a CA gig?

I'm relatively new to how things work out west and have some catching up to do. I grew up in PA, purchased your license with included deer tag at the hardware store and tried not to hit one with the truck on your drive home.

I think i'm screwed this year. We have been in the hospital for nearly a month now.....if all goes well we will be here for 7 more weeks and then have a (somewhat) premature newborn to look after. The deadline completely slipped my mind......

anyhow
good luck to everyone in the draw
RC

Your tag fee is not refundable. This is new this year. Non-residents will get the tag fee refunded minus the cost of a resident tag. This is all new and worded poorly in the booklet.

Joe

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom