BIG Oryx!

D

DeerKing

Here is MM member buku's BIG New Mexico oryx, I'll let him fill in the details. Congrats on a super critter!

oryx204.jpg

200520New20Mexico20Oryx.jpg

I killed her in the red canyon unit. She was 40 1/4 inches long. I don't know what the mass was. I checked mine in a hour after last shooting time of the last day and the game officials said it would be the biggest one killed. I don't know how they figured that though because the day before a guy killed a 39 inch bull. Anyway the hunt was nothing like I had expected. The first day we just rode the rodes and probably seen 15 or so, but all of them were running. The second day I walked into some nasty foothills that was a few miles between two major roads and hunted on foot. After the first day I was a little skeptical of just killing one much less being picky. I did decide that since I was going to hunt in the nasty terrain that I was either going to go home empty handed or shoot a good one because it was going to be a problem getting it out. At around 8:00 I glassed one bedded and made a stalk. It happened to be a broken horn bull that was probably 33 inch long, so I passed. At 9:00 I seen two oryx running through the foothills and ran an cut them off. I got ahead of them and set-up. When they crested the top of a foothill across from me I shot her. That was at 9:00. We had here out at 5:00. It was a tough hunt. A rude awakening from what I had been told, but the ones you work for are the ones you appreciate the most.

great oryx! congrats to you!! that is big one!

my wife killed an 37"cow 5 days before your hunt! at Rhodes Canyon

vinihunt :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom