Bighorn bulls anyone

HUNTER43

Can anyone give me an idea of the quality of bulls in the Bighorns? Pics would be great. I have 4 NR points and have been looking at unit 41. Coments on the unit is appreciated. Thanks

Here is the bull I shot this year on the archery hunt. I had a great time and saw some good bulls. Not what I expected. My goal how ever was any 6 point since this was my 1st archery bull, and 1st elk at that. We did see some bigger. But not what I had expected.

Robb---That is a beautiful bull and IMHO it would be a great hunt to kill a bull like that with archery tackle even if it was the only animal I saw the entire trip! To the OP, I think you should definitely look at 41 to try to draw it and have a great hunt. The elk herd in the BigHorns is excellent and there are lots of good bulls if you can find them and seal the deal. Here is a bull a friend took this year that I helped pack out in the BigHorns, but not in unit 41.

203bull_2014.jpg

Fine bulls you guys!

Landon, That's a GREAT archery bull! I need to get the story from you one of these days.
Zeke

Great looking bulls, congrats to the lucky hunters. Can anyone give me an idea how the hunting is outside the wilderness area in 41 during the archery season. Still cant understand the wilderness law in Wyoming. Robb when you say it wasnt what you expected do you mean lack of animals, high hunting pressure, or just a tough hunt? Also is there a better unit in that area i should be looking at rather than unit 41? Thanks again guys for the pics.

I have read 41 can be more of a migration hunt and is a little weather dependent. You could look into 35, but every year is different it seems in both those units.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-14 AT 07:41PM (MST)[p]>Great looking bulls, congrats to the
>lucky hunters. Can anyone give
>me an idea how the
>hunting is outside the wilderness
>area in 41 during the
>archery season. Still cant understand
>the wilderness law in Wyoming.
>Robb when you say it
>wasnt what you expected do
>you mean lack of animals,
>high hunting pressure, or just
>a tough hunt? Also is
>there a better unit in
>that area i should be
>looking at rather than unit
>41? Thanks again guys for
>the pics.

How many PPs do you have for the 2015 drawing? What can't you understand about the wilderness law? A NR can't hunt big or trophy game in them unless accompanied by a licensed guide or a licensed resident that has a permit from the G&F that allows them to take up to two people a year for no remuneration.

I understand the law, guess i should say i just dont agree with it. Just dont see how they can restrict a guy from using wilderness areas because he's a NR. Oh well thats just how it is. I have 4 points going in this year.

>I understand the law, guess i
>should say i just dont
>agree with it. Just dont
>see how they can restrict
>a guy from using wilderness
>areas because he's a NR.
>Oh well thats just how
>it is. I have 4
>points going in this year.
>
I doubt that you'll get any disagreement from any NR. However, the courts have ruled that each state has the sole authority to set requirements in their state, other than a few items regarding migratory birds. The WYOGA was the sole reason for that law to be passed and it's obviously a direct subsidy for the outfitters in the state that take NR clients in them. It will never change since NRs have no say in a state they don't reside in.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think im going to wait it out a few more years for a unit with no wilderness. It would kill me to pull a tag and have the elk cross into the wilderness and have to sit helpless and unable to follow them.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-20-14 AT 10:05AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-20-14 AT 10:01?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Dec-20-14 AT 09:51?AM (MST)

>Thanks for the replies guys. I
>think im going to wait
>it out a few more
>years for a unit with
>no wilderness. It would kill
>me to pull a tag
>and have the elk cross
>into the wilderness and have
>to sit helpless and unable
>to follow them.

I also decided to stay away from the wilderness units. They sound like an awesome adventure. I'm just not sure it would be a good choice for me. I don't have horses or the money for a guide. Good luck in finding an area. Perhaps look into the areas in the middle of the state. There are some private land issues, but maybe you could work around those.

The area around Unit 41 in the Shell Reservour area was the pitts this year, short sleeve weather most days and no critters except on private land.
We were hunting at 9100-9200 ft Elev. each day and never could even get a glimse of an ELK during the last full week of Oct. We gave up and called it quits and left for home. I hunted that same area back in 1986 and weather then was the same this year, should have known better....too late now. Since we are NR the Wilderness was off-limits to us.

Brian

http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

>I understand the law, guess i
>should say i just dont
>agree with it. Just dont
>see how they can restrict
>a guy from using wilderness
>areas because he's a NR.
>Oh well thats just how
>it is. I have 4
>points going in this year.
>

But you can go out hiking and riding horses in the wilderness but just not hunting. I can see how some don't agree with the rule but as stated before it helps the outfitters and rules are rules. I still see several non-residents hunting in the wilderness without guides so makes me wonder if they chance it or what??

One thing that I like about the wilderness area that hold grizzly bears is being able to go hunting with out seeing another hunter for days..

>>I understand the law, guess i
>>should say i just dont
>>agree with it. Just dont
>>see how they can restrict
>>a guy from using wilderness
>>areas because he's a NR.
>>Oh well thats just how
>>it is. I have 4
>>points going in this year.
>>
>
>
>But you can go out hiking
>and riding horses in the
>wilderness but just not hunting.
>I can see how some
>don't agree with the rule
>but as stated before it
>helps the outfitters and rules
>are rules. I still see
>several non-residents hunting in
>the wilderness without guides so
>makes me wonder if they
>chance it or what??
>
>One thing that I like about
>the wilderness area that hold
>grizzly bears is being able
>to go hunting with out
>seeing another hunter for days..
>

Is that because the bears got everyone else, LOL! Just kidding, but I would like to ask a serious question Michael. Have you ever had a close encounter with a grizz anywhere up there whether in the wilderness or not?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-23-14 AT 09:04PM (MST)[p]

YES!! I have had bears get on the meat. Bears in camp. Bears jumping out in the trail when your riding in the dark. And the simple bluff charges. When I hunt on the general tag a guy just always needs to pay attention and use common sense. You just can predict them. Them grizzly bears are super smart. They know a gun shot means a free meal. I always watch my horses while gutting and quartering up a elk. Even when the elk is loaded on the horse your just making a bait trail for the bear.

But 90% of the time if you have to let a elk lay over night the bears just lay back in the trees but leave pee on your meat and maybe some dirt thrown over it. The most they have ate is a couple bites off a rear quarter and the tenderloins ate up.

The best way to keep bears out of camp is obvious but to keep them from getting curious at night is I keep the horses very close to the tent cause the horses will alert you as soon as they smell the bear.

Although the last 2 years I haven't had problems. Mainly due to late season hunts. But a guy still needs to pay attention. Bears still come out during the winter to eat a left over carcass. How could you pass a free snack.

So I put full trust into the horses and hot rounds in my .44 mag. I don't do bear spray. Darn things get ruined and being in the mountains the wind never plays in your favor

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom