Bighorns for tourists

mainer

My wife and I will be traveling in SW Colorado and NW New Mexico in early April. I no longer apply and will never be hunting Bighorn Sheep, but would love to see one. Is there any place this time of year where we might see a ram? Near road, or by hiking. Thanks very much

I can't help you where your headed but if it's a bucket list item and you're ever in Jackson Wyoming in the winter there are several places to see them...if you're lucky they'll even lick the salt of your car.

It's been a few years since I have drive that way. But I remember when I took I 70 to Denver before or after the tunnel ? There where some look out points where you could view the sheep from the road with spotting scopes. Not licking the salt off your car ... But . If you in Utah almost every time you drive threw Zion National park the sheep are on the road. Hope that helps a little.

yes, stop in Georgetown, locals there can help you out if you are taking I70 out of Denver.
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

It maybe too far out of your way but if you're interested, Utah Highway 24 winds it's way into South West Colorado, through Capital Reef National Park. There are often Desert bighorns alone the river, next to the highway, east of the park Visitors Center. Start watching alone the river, after you pass the last of the park's orchards. It is hit and miss, some days you'll see them, some days you won't. A Park Ranger at the Visitors Center might be willing to tell you where the most recent sightings have been.

DC

>I can't help you where your
>headed but if it's a
>bucket list item and you're
>ever in Jackson Wyoming in
>the winter there are several
>places to see them...if you're
>lucky they'll even lick the
>salt of your car.

Also outside of cody going up the south fork and north fork.

usaully late November to spring. Also depending on snow conditions. When they come down to the highway in November they are rutting and you can see some awesome battles.. also some really good size rams you can see 2 feet from your vehicle,

I know this isnt the area ya want but if ya decide to in the future to come this way I will give give all the info I can

Glenwood Canyon on I 70 just east of Glenwood Springs has Rockys you can see most of the time on the north side of the road or on the bike path just before or after the tunnel just east of town.

Thanks very much. We will be going through Georgetown, and possibly some of the other spots. I will tell my wife to make sure she brings the salt shaker. Thx again, Guy

We have seen the sheep in Georgetown, CO many times just along the side of the highway (I-70). If you're going through there, that is probably your best bet.

There are a bunch of sheep around Gunnison. Usually a group right off Hwy 50 north of the lake. There are sheep in Taylor Canyon and also in the canyon on 114 between Gunnison and Saguache.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-16 AT 07:34AM (MST)[p]My daughter lives in Grand Junction. There are often desert bighorn sheep in and around the Colorado Monument and right off the road. The problem is, sheep move around and lay down, so if you don't know where and what to look for, you will often miss seeing them.
Best of luck. They are cool creatures.

RMBS helps maintain a really nice Sheep Viewing rest area type site right on the south side of I-70 in Georgetown, Colo.

Take an easy access frontage road to it.

Travel safe,

Robb

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom