Bipod for antelope hunting

Phantom Hunter

Very Active Member
What is a good height for a bipod for antelope hunting? I was thinking a 9-13” but have never used a bipod just always used my day pack or rested forearms on my knees in a sitting position.

Depends on the terrain. Grassy, low sage, high sage, flat, hilly? I like at least two options - a low bipod (10-12”) and a tripod (22-30”). A backpack may not really cut it.

Harris S25 is what I run on all my guns. Have had a few of the high end ones and they all have compromises. Might be steadier prone but definitely lacking when it comes to shooting off your but. If you look at the specs closely the Harris is as light or real close to any of the $300-500 ones as well. Definitely get one you can shoot off your butt with. I bet 80-90% of the antelope I’ve shot it’s been off my butt. In rolling hills you have to crawl another 10-20 yards and actually get on the face of them to shoot off a small bipod if there’s any grass at all (antelope country). I crawl till they can almost see me, extend the bipod on my side and then roll up onto my butt and let em have it.

A 9-13 on the gun but more importantly a tripod that you carry. The bog pod tall one is what i use. More often then not the sagebrush is to tall or whatever gets in the way of a short bi pod. Seated/kneeling behind a tripod will get you over the brush and still very steady unless your trying to shoot over 400/500 yards in that case get on the ground.

I agree with yotebuster17. You want something you can shoot from a sitting position. Sage and grass are often too tall to shoot prone. I've been using Harris for years. There are other good options out there as well.

I've been able to get prone to shoot several pronghorn but sometimes, sitting is the only viable option. I also have a tripod for my spotting scope that I could shoot off from a standing position if necessary. I've never used that tripod for a pronghorn but it has worked great for a couple hundred coyotes.

The Bog Pod tripod I use is not really heavy. I think it is called the RLD red leg devil or something. Been using same one for 11/12 years. Other than a backpack hunt, it goes with me unless it is nasty terrain then I use the quick stix things on my trekking poles for a solid quick rest.

The Harris 12-25 inch works great for me, 12" is perfect for my prone shooting and the 25 inch height works for sitting shots.
The Harris 13.5-23 inch works best for the spouse.
I do not prefer the pivoting model.
The bipods stays on my rifle year round except for transport in a hard case.

I have had great success with the Magpul bipod, although it is not the best bipod out there it has worked great for me. I shot the pronghorn in my profile pic last year with it, I rested the bipod legs on my pack to gain additional height and it was a very stable shooting platform.

Craig Steele from AZ & Exclusive Pursuit Outfitters, makes some really nice hunting bipods that go up over 40" for higher seated & kneeling type shots. Worth a look. Great guy... his pods can be found at: https://rokstedihuntinggear.com

That's what I picked up after getting frustrated at weeble wobbling trying to get steady over waist high sagebrush and ultimately passing on a couple decent mulie bucks last couple years. So far practicing its much more stable from what I would call a high kneeling position required where the brush too tall to sit or use traditional one-knee position but can't stand because would be exposed.
PXL_20240529_200624392~2.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom