Black Mag 3 & Blackhorn 209

Cavalier

Way back when I bought up a bunch of Black Mag 3 because it was clean and at the time was the hottest ticket. Then came Blackhorn 209. I am now about to shoot my first round of Blackhorn. It has been years since anyone has compared the two so I need a little refresher on the different. Do I use about the same amount of 209 as I used in Black Mag 3? Refresh my memory please.

I don't know how those two compare but
bH 209 is hotter than black powder or pryodex by about 15%. Where you might use a max load of 150 black powder By VOLUME you would use a max of 120 gr BY VOLUME of BH 209

That said my elk load is 90-95 gr of BH 209 with a 350-460 gr bullet and I have never used above 100 gr. Of powder

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-03-19 AT 02:29PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-03-19 AT 02:29?PM (MST)

BH is hotter than Mag3.

Keep in mind that BH is basically a detuned smokeless powder. You need a hot ignition to fire it. You also clean it with the same solvents you use for CF guns. Water-based cleaners won't work.

So I started using the Blackhorn 209 today. The main difference I see is 1) I have to run a spit patch after each shot. 2) It's not as clean as I'm used to but the infamous Omega crud ring does not exist, so that is a plus.

I'm shooting .45 cal in 200 grain bullet at 110 grains and now with BH I dropped the load to 95 gr. without much impact difference.

Pretty satisfied with the results.

Tomorrow I shot my .50 Cal with BH to make corrections as needed.

Oh, one other thing. I did see on the instructions of the BH to use oil based cleaning solvents. I didn't have any so I used what I had been using and all cleaned up well. Am I going to have something go bad in doing this?

Thanks Guys for your input.

The BH 209 Blackens the Barrel Quick!

But.............!

In Our Guns it doesn't get alot Dirtier after shot 2 or 3 through about shot 15-17!

No we don't normally shoot that many Rounds without cleaning the Gun!

But We have Tested several times to see what happens & How many times you could shoot without cleaning if you had to!

Load em up with the TRASH/Pyrodex 200 Grains recommended by Remington & You'll have a Crud Ring within 2-3 shots!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

I've taken as many as 50 shots with no swabbing with BH 209. I found that swabbing hurt accuracy.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-19 AT 09:27AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-19 AT 09:01?AM (MST)

When I started shooting 209, my second shot went 10" high. Then I swabbed and the next shot went back to close to the first shot. Was this a fluke? ? ?

Now if your 2nd shot goes high each time something is wrong, but if it does it now and then IT could be shooter error. Have a friend shoot the gun and see if it happens to him.

I can shoot several times before cleaning with BH209 in my Omega
100 gr 295 sabot CCI caps

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Today while shoot my .50 Cal I encountered the obvious. My primers were not hot enough So I picked up the CCI's. I be back out tomorrow.

Gator, Good to know several shots can be taken without swabbing, thanks for that input.

The Federal 209a primers are the hottest primers. The CCI mag is 2nd. Hopefully, you got the mag CCI?

Nope, didn't get Mag CCI and now I see why I should have. There was a split second between the primer and the shot on 8 out of ten. My Rem Kleanbore primers were fine on my .45 cal. but not on the .50 cal.

The Kleanbore primers are specifically reduced in power for use with 777. Not for use with BH

CCI mags are good. I have also had good luck with Remington STS

I too have shot as many as 30-35 shots without swabbing once. That is one of the things you like the best about this powder.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

So now that I'm having good success with BH and have cleaned both calibers several times it occurred to me about how to leave the barrel when finished cleaning. Before BH I use Bore Butter. Now how is the barrel to be left after cleaning using Blackhorn 209?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom