Blacktail rut?

D

desertbull

I have never hunted Blacktail but I want to very badly. Are there any rut hunts in California for either ML'er or rifle that a person has a snowballs chance at drawing?

What is considered the top area in Ca. for Public land hunting, whether in the rut or not?

Thanks
Jeff Rogers
www.desertbull.com

M11 is the only blackpowder hunt in the blacktail zones and I don't think is easy to draw. True Blacktails can only be taken west of interstate 5, and that is the B-zones. For a rut hunt you would probably have to buy a PLM tag from a land owner. CDFG might have the list on the web. Or I could send it to you.

Yes there is alot of public land in B zone and if you can backpack or horseback in you can access some real trophy bucks! The biggest blacktails traditionaly come from the B zones.If you hunt early in the season, get up real high and glass, however after they get pressured they scatter for cover and generally move lower till the pressure is off or weather moves in. as for the rut it usually starts in mid sept where I live in the Yolo/Lake county area but the further north you go it sets in later. Good Luck!

You can get a B zone tag basically over the counter. There's no draw for this zone. A "B" zone tag covers all 6 zones within the area, just some zones have different start dates. I think B-4 is the first to open.

Mel

Oregon has a couple of muzzle loader hunts during the rut. they are not to difficult to draw with a couple of pref points. if you do any bow hunting you can hunt them during the rut on a general season bow tag.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom