Board approves hunting on Antelope Island

Will look real good on TV. KSL, KUTV, KTVX, and FOX can all drive out on the east side of the island and shoot footage of some deep pocket shooting some tame deer on the lake shore. It will make great footage for World wildlife or PETA.

A canned mule deer hunt. What could be better? I wounder what kind of atv access you get if you are the high bidder. I don't want to walk 100 yards.

Yup!
8 Million Tards will put in for that tag!
Wheres that $$$ going?

I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

Utahs Wildlife board still has to approve things if I understand it right. I have no problem with this idea for the hunt if ALL the money goes to the Island to help it run and the legislators don't cut the islands budget by the amount the tags raised.

Tony Abbott
www.myfreehunts.com

I will bet anyone $100 D.P. draws the sheep tag and bass draws the deer tag from the pulic draws any takers

>I will bet anyone $100 D.P.
>draws the sheep tag and
>bass draws the deer tag
>from the pulic draws any
>takers

Would be funny if tags had not gone to key SFWers. But do not worry, drawing is 100% independent. Some folks are just real, real lucky.

Glad to see public tags.
I HATE to see more auction tags.
All 4 should be available to everyone to draw.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

>Utahs Wildlife board still has to
>approve things if I understand
>it right. I have no
>problem with this idea for
>the hunt if ALL the
>money goes to the Island
>to help it run and
>the legislators don't cut the
>islands budget by the amount
>the tags raised.
>
>Tony Abbott
>www.myfreehunts.com

Listened to segment of the meeting on Chris Drapers show this morning, sounds like the net gain for the island would be zero. Not sure of the ammount of visitors but you could raise the entry fee $2 and benefit the island more without damaging hunting. Tony, what is the difference between this and a high fence hunt? I know its bigger than most game preserve high fence hunts, but where are the deer gonna go? An island is surrounded by water, they can't just vacate the area, AND there isn't a ton of fresh water out there so they are relegated to small areas. Again, if the state parks would of come out with this idea I would be more for it, BUT WE ALL KNOW WHO CAME UP WITH THIS IDEA. SFW!!!! Why? I have read SFW's mission statement and I didn't see in it that they are out to build up state parks, thats not there area. They want it solely because they have some guys with a quarter million dollars that want to shoot a 40" deer. Tony, I live in Syracuse, we watch these deer most of the year, THEY ARE TAME!!!! They aren't on the mtn. on the island, they are on the lake shore. They aren't afraid or skiddish, they are used to groups watching them. This is simply selling a deer for money!!! There is no biological reason for it. These are big old deer so we know its not for meat. It is simply MONEY. And as usual, a number is thrown around. Where and for what does it go. You can't just say for the island. Specifically what does the island get for giving up a deer? Are they getting new signs? New shirts for the employees? Bonuses for employees? No one knows, SFW just sells the "its for the good of the island" line, and then to sugar coat it they get public tags. Think SFW would lobby for public tags only?? NOPE, the public tags were thrown in to buy some public favor so SFW could get its deep pocket the tags they wanted. There is a big bull on the train at lagoon, how much can SFW get for a tag for it? The money could be used to benefit Lagoon and Farmington City. What is the difference???

Heck, there are deer on the Henry Mtns. that aren't that wild either. Most areas have deer that just stand by the road. Antelope Island does too.....no doubt.

I have no problem with a hunt out there. That is a big, rugged island. Although there aren't a lot trees, there are lots of canyons and ravines for deer to disappear into.

I would not compare a hunt out there with a high fenced, canned hunt, UNLESS there is a team of a dozen guides and buddies running all over.
Hopefully there are some restricts put in place for the hunt, but I worry that in order to fetch the maximum dollar amount for the tags, that restrictions will be minimal. It could end up putting sportsmen in a bad light. Could end being a real embarrassment for us all.

I personally would have rather seen Don and the others push for ALL public tags, but big dollars seem to always rule.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

I also hope in the rule the DWR does not allow the Statewide permit holder who bought it or the guy who drew it in the Sprtsmans draw hunt the island. That would put 6 hunters potentially on the island.

Hos I told you I am only for it if the Island is the one to benefit, guess we will have to wait and see what the Wildlife board does with it.

Tony Abbott
www.myfreehunts.com

Me and the boy rode out tonight, just after sunset. Half way around to the ranch saw 6 bucks, all perfect genetic 4 points. One was the biggest deer I have ever seen in my life, at least 40", tall as an elk, massive body, oh yeah did I mention 20 feet off the paved road. Cell phone pics turned out bad, not enough light, so we are going out tommorow night. 20 feet off the road, I got out and walked around the truck to snap pics. 6 trophy bucks didn't spook, run, hell for that matter I had to coyote call just to get them to look up. This hunt is easier than shooting fish in a barrel. Just really sad that anyone considers this sporting!!!

Thanks for the air time today Tony, see I can be a big mouth on the radio just as easy as I can on the internet!!!

>Heck, there are deer on the
>Henry Mtns. that aren't that
>wild either. Most areas have
>deer that just stand by
>the road. Antelope Island does
>too.....no doubt.
>
>I have no problem with a
>hunt out there. That is
>a big, rugged island. Although
>there aren't a lot trees,
>there are lots of canyons
>and ravines for deer to
>disappear into.
>
>I would not compare a hunt
>out there with a high
>fenced, canned hunt, UNLESS there
>is a team of a
>dozen guides and buddies running
>all over.
>Hopefully there are some restricts put
>in place for the hunt,
>but I worry that in
>order to fetch the maximum
>dollar amount for the tags,
>that restrictions will be minimal.
>It could end up putting
>sportsmen in a bad light.
>Could end being a real
>embarrassment for us all.
>
>I personally would have rather seen
>Don and the others push
>for ALL public tags, but
>big dollars seem to always
>rule.
>
>Brian Latturner
>MonsterMuleys.com

Anyone who pays 200k+ to hunt this deer will most likely pay a guide. If mossback can cover the monroe with eyes and guides, the island can easily be covered.

Tony had a good idea about making SFW or MDF guarantee the 200k. Anything short and they should have to scratch a check for the difference. In fact, why not put the tag up for auction to the groups, let MDF, RMEF, SFW, trout unlimited, DU, Pheasants forever, or whoever else secret bid for the tag with a 200k reserve. Then the winner can sell(I mean auction) the tag off for whatever they can get. That way the state gets a guaranteed 200k regardless of what the tag auctions for. Also, inflation is a biatch, the next year the price goes up 5k, and then another 5k every year. If SFW or whoever is doing the state a favor in funding for the island, I am sure they won't mind putting up THEIR money up front and letting them take the chance on the tags value, I mean they are only doing this to help the island, right??

Doesn't there need to be 20 public tags before there is 1 auction tag?
To keep with the no more than 5% of tags can be auction tags rule.

How about let the state parks raffle off all the tags? Maybe $5 a chance,and buy as many as you want.All proceeds go to the park service to operate the island.Only people who draw tags from raffle allowed to hunt.

While I don't compare this hunt to a high fenced hunt, I still don't see the need for it. The deer herd has been stagnet for over 20 years, and the money raised from the hunts will not make a dent in the budget deficit. That being said, its rediculous to have anyone but the DWR/parks auction these tags and keep 100% going to the island. No need to let, SFW/MDF, or any other group benefit from this hunt.

If they plan on these hunts being long term, they need to do some serious predetor control, to help the deer herd grow, instead of deminish.

Yelum

Look forward to the Opportunity...............

As a Disabled Hunter, I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to even apply for a Sheep Hunt even though the Odds will be around 2,000 to One... its better than waisting the tag on other opportunities in the State... At least on Antelope Island I can get strapped to a Horse and might have a chance at a shot.

Destiny

RE: Look forward to the Opportunity...............

I am still having a hard time figuring out why the DWR wouldn't manage the auction??

Yelum is right; let the DWR or Park Service do it.

I really don't care if the deer are tame or wild. Not one deer on that island is worth 200k. As long as the $$$ go back to the island and/or back to habitat, I am all for it.

They should raffle the tags like the Valles Caldera in NM. 20 bucks a pop, anyone can apply.

Does this open the door at all for SITLA (Utah state trustlands) to start asking for tags in the future? Makes sense that it's eventually going to happen...

That'd be an awesome tag I wouldn't turn down, but I'm on the fence on the whole deal.

Paul

It absolutely opens that door. Sitla has been trying for years to get permits and they have been shut down. I know this because I was in meeting where they asked for them. So yep, this is a slippery slope that gets more slippery everytime some moron has one of these brilliant ideas.

Soon there will be more private permits for Conservations groups, Landowners, Cattlemen, and special interests groups then there will be for the public. It is headed that way all too fast.....

Tony Abbott
www.myfreehunts.com

>Paul
>
>It absolutely opens that door. Sitla
>has been trying for years
>to get permits and they
>have been shut down. I
>know this because I was
>in meeting where they asked
>for them. So yep, this
>is a slippery slope that
>gets more slippery everytime some
>moron has one of these
>brilliant ideas.
>
>Soon there will be more private
>permits for Conservations groups, Landowners,
>Cattlemen, and special interests groups
>then there will be for
>the public. It is headed
>that way all too fast.....
>
>
>Tony Abbott
>www.myfreehunts.com

Tony:

I don't always agree with you, but you are absolutely right on this. Everyone is trying to get in on this...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom