book cliffs archery

Elmacho

Well, it looks like I have a decision to make....

Do I go to Book Cliffs archery or wait out the Pauns for an archery tag.

As a Non-res I have 11 points. WHat are your opinions when comparing which hunt is better. I would be super happy with a 170 or better buck, who wouldn't.....

Let's hear it!

Good luck to you all in the draws.

Mark

Better stick with the pauns if you want one over 170.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

If bowhunting was easy rifle hunters would do it...

+1, I hear from friends its hard to get a 170 anymore on the Books w/ a rifle let alone a bow, maybe a 150 archery on the Books, maybe closer to 135.

I actually think you have a better chance of seeing 170 class bucks on the archery hunt in the books than you do during the rifle hunt. The archery hunt out there is the best hunt for seeing big bucks. Good luck on whatever you choose

I agree with catman, the archery hunt is the best BC hunt.
And here's the BIG question, how well do you know the Paunsy?
The Paunsy is much more difficult if you have not been there.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Paunsaugunt. But I don't know the BC.

I know the area really well and a 170 buck is not hard to find. I know of several 180 plus bucks taken with a bow in the past few years. My brother had that tag in 2005 and passed up 170 bucks almost daily because he was after a buck that was well over 200. The nice thing about the Paunsaugunt is that there are a lot less hunters to mess up you hunt and it is a big area. I may be biased because that is near home, but I am going to hunt it someday after I get my LE elk taken care of. In 2002 (I think that was the year) my brothers buddy shot a 31 inch 4x4 we found him on the Paunsaugunt, it was a sweet buck. My dad had a management tag last year and my mom had a rifle tag the year before that. We have hunted and played on the Paunsaugunt a lot and because of that we do know the area and see a lot of great bucks. Hopefully one of my brothers will pull a tag this year and we will go at it again.

Good luck!

I have put in a lot of time in both units..had a tag on the pauns afew years ago. The pauns is a geat hunt but you will be around a lot of people and the bucks you see scouting have a way of disappearing. The pauns is crawling with atvs and tourists. The books on the other hand are much more remote and alot quieter people wise. Agree on archery being the best hunt in both units. Better chance of a top end buck scoring higher in the Pauns. If you like to glass and spot and stalk the books is great. A lot of big bucks are killed in both units right off the roads and atv trails. Boy I wish I was sitting on your point pile..if I was I would probably go with the Pauns.

Dik

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input.

This is a tough one. I consider myself a fairly capable hunter. Never have been to either unit, but I could prolly scout the Pauns a lot easier.....this is a tough one though....

Good luck to you all.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom