Book Cliffs Roadless Early Rifle Elk Tag

talus

Hello,
I was reaching out for any information related to this unit. I will be heading down in late June for a week of scouting to get familiar with the country. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

No info to share, have read there is a good bear population. Would be a fun trip for sure. I'll bet your upcoming weeklong scouting trip will educate you far more than this forum. Have fun and be sure to report back what you learn.

Just spent 6 weeks in there for Bear. Im jealous is all I have to say. I saw so many Elk i wish i had the tag. I am sure things change as the year goes on but really thought the herd looked good where I was at. Lot of bulls that were growing and looking good. Hope you have horses, cause I did the bear hunt on foot and it was brutal, cant imagine packing out an elk on top of it :) Good luck. Should be a blast.

Just spent 6 weeks in there for Bear. Im jealous is all I have to say. I saw so many Elk i wish i had the tag. I am sure things change as the year goes on but really thought the herd looked good where I was at. Lot of bulls that were growing and looking good. Hope you have horses, cause I did the bear hunt on foot and it was brutal, cant imagine packing out an elk on top of it :) Good luck. Should be a blast.
How was your bear hunt in there? Should have a tag next year for the spring hunt

How was your bear hunt in there? Should have a tag next year for the spring hunt

Do you have Horses, People to spot, and a lot of time? If so it is Awesome!!! I didnt fill my tag but had my chances. Saw 12 bears. We were on foot. But had a blast. Save all your time for the last 3 weeks. No need to go in before early may. Keep me posted next year and I can give you some spots unless you know where you are going.

Do you have Horses, People to spot, and a lot of time? If so it is Awesome!!! I didnt fill my tag but had my chances. Saw 12 bears. We were on foot. But had a blast. Save all your time for the last 3 weeks. No need to go in before early may. Keep me posted next year and I can give you some spots unless you know where you are going.
Yes, we have horses. I've gone in from the south end before. We went in about 7 miles, saw a couple bears but not the numbers or sign I thought I'd see.

The Road less is an amazing place. Loaded with Bears. Make sure you are cautious and smart with food in camp. You may even consider electric fencing. From my experience, elk can be tough to find during the summer in there, but by about Mid August, they seem to move in. Its been a few years since we have hunted in there, but if you would like to send me a PM, I can give a few pointers. Not sure if you can go back that far, but if you search my MM handle, you may be able to dig up some pics of our success from the past.

Yes, we have horses. I've gone in from the south end before. We went in about 7 miles, saw a couple bears but not the numbers or sign I thought I'd see.

What dates were you in there? If you look at harvest statistics for the Spring spot and stalk, the numbers are abysmal. Like in the teens the last 4 or 5 years. I hiked 135 miles between 9 days and saw VERY little sign. Honestly I am not sure I would dump points on it again, other than I am pissed I wasnt successful.

Talus, I will be heading in there on the 3rd of September after bear. I will keep my eyes out for some potential shooters for you. We had a muzzleloader tag in there 2 years ago, and I found a few decent bulls where we are headed for bear. I have to be back in town on the 10th for training, so I will give you updates before you head out. If I strikeout that opening week, I am going to head back in sometime between your hunt and the muzzleloader to try again. PM me if you would like and I will try to give you some more information. We come in from Thompson and up Sego

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom