Bookcliffs Deer Rifle

bbright2

I drew the tag this year with 6 (or 7) points. The posts I read indicate that I should expect to see lots of small bucks with an outside chance at a 160-170 buck with hard work and patience. I'm considering bringing my two boys (9yo and 11yo)to experience seeing the quantity of deer. I'll order maps this month and start studying. Will the deer still be in the roadless area where one can get away from the crowds? Or are the deer concentrated in the low areas? Thanks for your input. After a tough hunt in rough country (NM GMU17) for deer last Thanksgiving with my oldest son, I want he and his brother to experience seeing some game on a hunting trip.

BB

The hunt will TOTALLY depend on the weather as to where the deer are. Won't know until the week of the hunt.

I had a tag in 2011. All the deer were low. There is definitely not a shortage of deer around there. The hardest part is keeping your finger off the trigger. It was a really fun hunt and ended up dropping the hammer on a typical 24 inch 4 point.i could help ya out with areas we seen deer but typicaaly it seemed we seen the bigger deer way from the crowds of deer. Literally crowds of deer.should be a fun hunt for you and your kids.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-13 AT 02:14PM (MST)[p]Should have drawn with 10. Did everyone in the group have 10?
Res or non-Res?

Great hunt to take the kids on they'll see a lot of deer and the hiking is easier after they've started migrating.

I drew this tag also. I'm thinking about going camping up there in a couple weeks to do a little early scouting, get the lay of the land and figure out some of the roads. Anybody want to share some places that will be good to set up a camp come Oct.? Ive got some good information on the hunt already but I've never stepped foot in the unit before and always appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks,

Adam

>Adam-- Email or call me.
>I'll give you some ideas.
>
>Mike
>-------------------------
>www.sagebasin.com
>-------------------------

Mike-

I will get in touch with you. Hopefully I'll have another animal for you to mount for me this fall!

Thanks again.

Trix4me, my group of four all had 10 points going into the draw (11 now). Two of our group are resident and two are non-resident.

WOW. By combining Res and NR (the way I understand it) all of your bonus points go by the NR odds. Looks like you may have 6-8 years before a guaranteed tag. With 10 points a resident should have drawn this year.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom