Bookcliffs Muzzleloader Deer?

MuleyKiller

So I am curious about what everyone thought about the Muzzloader deer hunt in the Bookcliffs this year. Specifically the amount of people with each hunter and the quality and size of the bucks. My experience was that there were about 8 guys with every hunter. And every big framed buck had junk genetics,2x2, 2x3, 3x3, 4x3. It was difficult to find a buck that would go 170" . I would love to see a management hunt where they would kill some of these 180 framed bucks that nobody wants to kill. Anything with 4 points gets killed when they are 160. Also the amount of people during this hunt was unreal. 2 or more guys on every ridge either on foot or horseback. Not to mention the elk hunters at the same time and the bear hunters.

This is nothing new. It is not a trophy hunt. Big deer get taken each year but it the exception not the rule. Genetics of big 2 and 3 points is common. There is also an issue of crab claws. Many young 4 points get shot because everyone wants a 4x4.

I've Tried Tellin Ya All for Years!

But Nobody ever Listens!

If You wanna See SAD!

We Go to the Book Cliffs 2-3 Times during the November Rut!

What Do We See?

Bucks doing the Breeding that Nobody wanted to Shoot!

Oh,And a Ripe Old Age of 3.5 Max for the Most Part with Very Few Exceptions!

No such thing as a 180 framed buck, they either score 180 or they don't.
Thats what I was thinking. I've been on a few hunts out there and done very well for the unit. But I never seen a bunch of 180 frame bucks! Ive seen a bunch of 150-160 frames bucks with bad genetics! Maybe those 160 frame bucks with weak forks are considered 180 frame bucks to some people?

The book cliffs is NOT managed as a trophy hunt. It’s an opportunity hunt.
That’s the entire premise of the hunt. OPPORTUNITY

Seemed the same to me that is has for the past 10 years. Lots of deer, mature buck are hard to find. I think it is exactly what they are managing it for.

Talking to my cousin that was helping a friend on the Vernon this year, it sounded very similar. Lot of bucks, but they saw mostly big 3x3's or 2x3'. I guess it depends on your expectations.

There are a ton of people out there, things really cleared out after Friday and Saturday.

My son drew the muzzy tag this year. I had the archery tag back in 2010 I believe? So I was pretty excited to get him out. Because of work we didn't get out on his hunt until Saturday and only had two days to hunt. We didn't see what I would call a tremendous amount of hunters. So, maybe some of the hunters had already tagged out and left? Because we only had two days to hunt, we agreed he'd try and shoot the first mature buck we could find. We went to an area I knew wouldn't have a ton of pressure and found this buck late in the day. We thought he was an older buck and so he shot him. After looking at his jaw/teeth, I would age him at 4 years old. I would say the deer numbers are down quite a bit from 2010, and even more since 2000-2005 when I used to shed hunt the area. His buck is a pretty typical "Book Cliffs" buck, pretty much what we expected to find. Although you never know with the BC, there are always a few giants out there.
On a side note, we met a few nice hunters out there. Everyone was seeing a few. We actually saw a nice framed 3x4 early in the day. Alex almost got him, but it wasn't to be.
IMG_2704.jpg

While I'm bragging on the kid. Here's his Colorado buck from a few years ago. Damn kid has shot two nice bucks lately. All of my deer I've ever shot never have the eyeguards he seems to shoot! I'd bet all of my bucks combined have less actual scoreable eyeguards inches than his two bucks he's shot lately. Always fun to have success with the kids.
Alex's Co Buck.jpg

Books has been a fun hunt to see a lot of deer and bucks in the 160 range for years now. Seems always to have a crab claw on the frame. Thanks for sharing Adam. Congrats on a fun hunt.
While I'm bragging on the kid. Here's his Colorado buck from a few years ago. Damn kid has shot two nice bucks lately. All of my deer I've ever shot never have the eyeguards he seems to shoot! I'd bet all of my bucks combined have less actual scoreable eyeguards inches than his two bucks he's shot lately. Always fun to have success with the kids.
View attachment 14561
Congrats on a couple good hunts to make memories on. Nice mature bucks. Thanks for sharing.

Nice Job fstop Jr!

My son drew the muzzy tag this year. I had the archery tag back in 2010 I believe? So I was pretty excited to get him out. Because of work we didn't get out on his hunt until Saturday and only had two days to hunt. We didn't see what I would call a tremendous amount of hunters. So, maybe some of the hunters had already tagged out and left? Because we only had two days to hunt, we agreed he'd try and shoot the first mature buck we could find. We went to an area I knew wouldn't have a ton of pressure and found this buck late in the day. We thought he was an older buck and so he shot him. After looking at his jaw/teeth, I would age him at 4 years old. I would say the deer numbers are down quite a bit from 2010, and even more since 2000-2005 when I used to shed hunt the area. His buck is a pretty typical "Book Cliffs" buck, pretty much what we expected to find. Although you never know with the BC, there are always a few giants out there.
On a side note, we met a few nice hunters out there. Everyone was seeing a few. We actually saw a nice framed 3x4 early in the day. Alex almost got him, but it wasn't to be.
View attachment 14560

View attachment 14561
That’s a dandy buck now pick my photo to win the camp chef hahahaha J/K

Genetics in the Book Cliffs used to be very good. Then the brilliant DWR made the area 3-point or better when it was an over-the-counter area. Everybody and their dogs showed up because they figured surely there are 4-points behind every tree. Suddenly there started to be giant 2 points on the winter range doing the breeding. The best thing they could do now is make it a 3-point or less area youth hunt. Actually, they probably need to just kill them all and import some new genetics.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom