Bookcliffs muzzloader

jhibbs

Was hoping to speak someone who hunted bookcliffs muzzy last year. Would like to get your opinion on the hunt, since I should have enough points to draw this year. I have 18 points and was trying to get enough info to determine if I should put in for this hunt or try for the Bookcliffs south rifle. Feel free to message me if you prefer.

Jody

Definitely do not waste 18 points on the Books...….. Now if you had 10 and wanted to shoot a 150 buck go for it.... but 18 is way to many for that unit.

The problem here is that 18 non res points isn’t it going to get anything else except maybe the Vernon.
Unless of course you get lucky in a random draw but those odds are very slim.
I would guess there are more than 300 non res applicants with 18 or more points in the pool. What’s now happening is that a lot of those guys are getting older and will be burning their points on units like the books and the Vernon and even the Pauns Management Hunt so creep is getting out of hand now.
My son and I are in the same boat. He has 21 points and I have 23 points for limited entry Deer. Not enough for the Henry’s or the Pauns and now even Oak Creek and elk Ridge seem out of reach for us.

Buckhorn, you hit the nail on the head, I’m 56 years old and know that most of the real premium units will most likely remain out of reach. And now I have had a recent medical diagnosis, which is highly likely to limit my ability to hunt hard within the next few years, So I figured I would look at my options and take my chances with a unit that is in reach. Thanks for the reply’s.

Jody

Buckhorn, you hit the nail on the head, I’m 56 years old and know that most of the real premium units will most likely remain out of reach. And now I have had a recent medical diagnosis, which is highly likely to limit my ability to hunt hard within the next few years, So I figured I would look at my options and take my chances with a unit that is in reach. Thanks for the reply’s.

Jody

I would go for Vernon before I would do a Bookcliffs.

I figured at this point, my options were Bookcliffs, Vernon or the South Slope/Diamond Mountains in either the muzzy or rifle seasons. Just not sure which one is best option. Thanks for any and all opinions.

Jody

The problem here is that 18 non res points isn’t it going to get anything else except maybe the Vernon.
I would guess there are more than 300 non res applicants with 18 or more points in the pool. What’s now happening is that a lot of those guys are getting older and will be burning their points on units like the books and the Vernon and even the Pauns Management Hunt so creep is getting out of hand now.
My son and I are in the same boat. He has 21 points and I have 23 points for limited entry Deer. Not enough for the Henry’s or the Pauns and now even Oak Creek and elk Ridge seem out of reach for us.
Points creep is being squashed starting this year. No more turning back tags.....use them or lose them is the new rule.

slam
Thanks for posting that up I like that new rule.
Thing is a lot of these older folks that are top point holders have pretty good relationships with the doctors if you know what I mean.

EASY Niller!:D

You Ain't Seen Crotchety Yet!:D
I hunted and scouted a total of 9 days of the muzzy deer season and was not impressed with it. I went up there to scout during archery season for 3 days for my muzzy hunt and saw some real nice deer but during my hunt they weren't there anymore. I figure they got shot off by the archery hunters. There was tons of hunters all over the roads hunting or just scouting, I don't know. I scouted 3 days before my season to get to know more of the area and look for deer. The canyons are deep, but I only saw a handful of deer but lots of elk. I would do the hunt again since it was a real nice place to spot and stalk. I wish I would have seen more deer. The deer I saw taken by other hunters as they past my camp were not what I expected to be taking, but to each there own. Saw some real nice bulls, but I was hunting deer. Good luck.

Hey buckhorn!

I Just noticed a PM From you!

Ya!

I'm a little Late!

But I'll get back with you!

last year there was 208 total non resident apps for Bookcliffs muzzy. 2 with 18 points applied and drew, 1 with 17 drew and 3 apps with 16 and 1 drew. 11 other people applied with 12-16 points. Chances are this guy will draw next year if he chooses so

Thanks for that break down HUNTNNW

So it took 17 nonresident points to guarantee The book Cliffs muzzleloader in 2019.
It would really be great to hear from some of those hunters and see how it went for them.

last year there was 208 total non resident apps for Bookcliffs muzzy. 2 with 18 points applied and drew, 1 with 17 drew and 3 apps with 16 and 1 drew. 11 other people applied with 12-16 points. Chances are this guy will draw next year if he chooses so
I was the one who drew with 11 points.

How did your hunt go?
Last year it was a good draw year for you.
It was a great year for the draw for me. Book Cliff hunt was allot of fun but not many nice deer. I wish I had been hunting elk. Saw some really nice bulls. Took a little 3x3 my last day there, I like deer sausage and mix it with pork for hamburger. Where I started out hunting there was allot of cattle around all the water sources. I would do this hunt again but with 18 points like the guy in this posting I would hire a guide. Maybe they know where the nice deer were.

be careful basing your on hunts others, unless you know how that person hunts. I couldnt count how many times I have heard dont waste your points there, hunt was garbage etc. Just on here a guy was hunting elk in a permit area while I had a deer tag for same unit. He posted what a waste of time, saw nothing. I saw over 300 elk in 8 days and coulda shot bull every single day and he was on the same road I was glassing!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom