Bookcliffs or Paunsaugunt

Camper_A1

Very Active Member
If you had enough points to draw either tag for the rifle hunt which hunt would you pick and why? Both units have had the tag numbers decrease the last few years so the herd numbers and quality probably also are dropping. Any help is appreciated.

pauns has a way higher buck to doe ratio. No brainer!

who farted?

I think I'd go with the Paunsaugunt. I think the potential for an extra special buck are better there.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you
LIK
E
MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need
a friend....

I have always thought the buck to doe ratio was higher at the bookcliffs. Yeah, you are going to see smaller bucks, but you should generally see more of them right?

I have ten points and am debating what to do myself..

If you had the points would you

A)wait until you could rifle/muzz hunt the paus
B)wait another tengive or take years for the henries tag
C)get a for sure bookcliffs rifle tag this year
D)never archery hunted but hunt the pauns archery

with any of the options above, I would rather eat my tag than kill anything under 180"

thoughts?

I wouldn't do the Pauns archery. I did that 2 years ago. Invested a lot of time scouting and hunting. I think 33 days total. Saw a couple 190ish type bucks, but no shots and really wasn't that great.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you
LIK
E
a friend....

Thanks founder!!

that is good info to have.. so many people have told me that the archery tag is the one to have on the pauns so I was gonna put in for it, now im heavily debating it. Could you have killed anything close to 180 with your bow?

would you take the rifle/muzz tag there over an archery tag then?

Other options to start exploring would be a CWMU like ensign ranch or Alton?

I just dont think the bookcliffs are worth 10 points, dont get me wrong ive hunted it many times before and its a blast, but doesnt hold the quality or caliber of bucks as other units

I don't think 10 points will allow you to hunt any of those units with a rifle.
I also don't want to be a bearer of bad news but have you looked at point creep. You are so far away from drawing any unit with a rifle tag that can produce 180^ bucks its not even funny. I have 13 archery points and im years out on a Henry tag.you will never in your life draw that tag with the points you have. You probably wont ever draw a san Juan tag either.

Ive been on the bookcliffs archery hunt for the last 6 years. I have only seen a hand full of bucks that will go over 170 in that time. No one in our groups have killed anything over 160 with bow or rifle. None of the rifle guys that got sick of waiting for a rifle tag got a buck better than a three point with archery tackle. could I have killed something better than 170? That depends on the year I drew the tag.

Founder went to the pauns with higher hopes then you have at killing a big buck. He said he saw a few in the 190's. Archery is no guarantee. It will take you days longer to kill a buck with archery tackle then it will with any other gear. So if you have high hopes of big bucks you better have lots of time and don't mind swallowing a tag when your done.

To tell you the truth your best bet would be to put in for an area you know and hunt it with a weapon your proficient with.

swbuckmaster, I think the bookcliffs tag is almost a 1:1.2 draw odds with ten points on the rifle hunt last time I checked.. I could be wrong though. As for the Pauns, I know the chances of drawing are around 1:37ish for archery.

That being said, you are right about the point creep. It's not right to think that I will probably only have a premium tag once in my life in the state I live. I will probably continue to put in for the henries and hope to get luckier than hell on a tag.

Paunsaugunt has better genetic then Books does IMO.
Better chance of scoring on a good buck.
That being said the books are a great place to hunt and I like the terrain better.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Feb-19-14 AT 09:29AM (MST)[p]I think the rifle hunt on the Pauns. can be real good if you hunt migration routes and if deer hit winter range early enough you can hunt them down there for a few days.

I have never hunted the Book Cliffs, but my understanding is that it's fun with a bow because there are lots of bucks running around. I think you have a better chance of a really special buck on the Pauns., but I think the Book Cliffs might be more fun overall if seeing lots of bucks and getting some stalking action on 170ish bucks is good enough.

When I was on the Pauns., I don't think I could have even shot an arrow at a 4-point. It sucked for me. But, that dude who killed the monster over the apple pile that year probably didn't think it sucked. You know? It just depends I guess.

Look at my 2012 Hunt Adventure Challenge thread. There's info. in there.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need
a friend....

>I wouldn't do the Pauns archery.
>I did that 2 years
>ago. Invested a lot of
>time scouting and hunting. I
>think 33 days total. Saw
>a couple 190ish type bucks,
>but no shots and really
>wasn't that great.
>
>Brian Latturner
>MonsterMuleys.com
>Will you
>LIK
>E
>
>a friend....

Oh, that's a terrible hunt. It would suck to see 190" bucks on a hunt since they are everywhere.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom