Booking sheep hunt

goforbroke

Booking a sheep hunt in Aug 2012. Booking with Nahanni Butte Outfitters in the NWT. If anybody has had a bad experience with them, please pm me. Will be my first sheep hunt and I'm stoked.

goforbroke,
My son and I had an incredible experience in the NWT with Arctic Red River. They are farther north than Nahanni Butte, but if your hunt is anything like ours you are in for an incredible experience. You should be stoked and if I can help you in your preparations feel free to PM me any time. I had several friends on this site giving me lots of help and advice, and if nothing else it helped the wait time pass more quickly. For sure you should start now to get in shape. Good luck!

I have been to the NWT a couple times but not with Nahanni Butte. I have heard nothing but good things about them however. You should have an excellent experience as well as enjoying a successful kill (weather dependant).

Littlebighorn is right, GET IN SHAPE! If I remember correctly, they are a full blown backpack type hunt just like the ones I've done. Correct?

Best regards, Zeke

1st class operation. I killed a moose, mtn caribou and wolf. When I was there a few years ago they killed two rams that went just over 170.

Hunted there twice when Greg Williams had it before the Lancasters. You will have a great hunt. Very good choice for a first sheep hunt. Lots of sheep in many different mtn. ranges. A high percentage of curly old rams. Get in shape, practice shooting, and most of all have a great time.

Goforbroke

I forgot.... My cousin hunted with them 3 or 4 years ago and the guy I hunted with in Tajikistan hunted with Nahanni Butte last year.

Both took excellent rams on the first day of their respective hunts.

A broker, who I used to work with, hunted moose and he and his father both took great moose.

You'll love it I'm sure.

Zeke

I have not been to Nahanni but been with Bart and Stan in BC and it is top notch. My BC guide had just got from Nahanni and we talked about it and with helicopters, rams, etc it should be the trip of a lifetime. He did say that you could shoot a ram right from camp or hike for 10 days but you need to be in good physical shape just in case. I think that is the case for all sheep hunts though.

I shared a sheep camp with a guy this fall 2010 who had been with NB before and he had great stuff to say about them. All good stuff!

flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

Thanks for all the replies. Paid the deposit, so no backing out now. I'm going with my brother. We decided to do it with our bows. Probably won't get the biggest sheep, but it should be fun. 20 months is a long time to wait. Have a 2004 Hoyt and plan on upgrading this year so I will be comfortable with the bow by next year. Hopefully I'll draw a good tag this year to make the time go by faster!!!

Nahanni Butte does keep areas exclusively for bow hunters, never rifle hunted. I killed two nice rams there with my rifle, could have easily killed one with my bow. I did kill a Dall later with my bow in the Yukon. Practice a lot at 50 and 60 yards. Also steep uphill and steep downhill. My Dall was 52 yards and my Rocky was 62 yards with my bow. Neither went more than a couple of steps. Hopefully your archery hunt will go well, but you might want to consider taking a rifle just in case. Those hunts are expensive and getting "expensiver".

If you are going with the Landcasters, they have some great videos of their areas and hunts that you should watch to get an idea of what you are up against.
Sheephunter is right! Shooting any sheep with a bow is tricky and I can guarantee that you will not have a level shot. If it were me, I would also have a rifle as a backup since most of us have maybe one chance at a hunt like that in a lifetime. Anyway, good luck!

The guide will have a gun and we do shoot it a few times before we leave camp is what I was told. I told him I would rather have a 36" sheep with my bow than a 38" sheep with my gun, but I'd rather come home with a sheep than empty.

Looking for "Nahanni twisters" as it is one of their videos with several sheep from the liard range, which is where we will be hunting.

I'm excited!

Congrats on booking a great hunt. I have a good friend that hunted there with his dad this year. They both took exceptional rams with their rifles. The sheep densities in the NWT are good, so having multiple opportunities during your hunt is realistic. If you are committed to an archery hunt, more power to you!!!!!!Shoot a lot, at distance and at severe angles, and don't pick up the gun until at least day 8......unless of course you find a Nahanni Twister! TJ

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom