Books

Muleyfanatic

For my English class I need to read a book set in a different culture rather than the traditional american cultere and that's time frame is sometime between the 1950s to now. I want it to be outdoor related in some way, preferably in the mountains or something. Anybody know of any books like this? I'm having a little trouble finding one.

"Exodus"......Leon Uris.

A great book.
Enlightening and a true classic.

Given modern education requirements, you could probably get away with
"A Jungle Book"......not Kipling.....the Disney version.

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-12 AT 04:22PM (MST)[p]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Cry_Wolf

or

Death In The Long Grass by Peter Capstick

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

I remember the movie Never Cry Wolf, some great scenery in there. Except for the dude runnin bare ace naked after the caribou, that kind of freaked me out.

Bless Me Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya - set in rural plains and mountains in New Mexico in the early 50's. About a boy who grows up between his traditional Spanish Speaking New Mexican Culture and the encroaching American Culture. It is quickly apparent how different the two are. Great book. Also it is banned in Arizona's current High School curriculum.

PM me for more info if you are interested.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah.

The story takes place during a civil war in Sierra Leone during the 1990's. The author tells his own story of being a child during the war and being kidnapped by opposing forces. He tells of how he was brainwashed by the army using drugs to commit war crimes against his own people, and later about how he escaped the war, his country, and assimilates into American culture. One of the best, and most heart wrenching books I've ever read.

"man eaters of kumoan" sp? About a guy hunting tigers feeding on villagers in India. True story. I do believe it is from pre 1950 but just wanted to share because it is an awesome book.

>Horn of the Hunter by Robert
>Ruark, a true classic.

Another one of Ruarks book I enjoyed was
"The old man and the boy"

I read all of Capsticks books, I always enjoyed his wit and the way could spin a story, don't know how much of his stories were actually true but I found his books were entertaining.

Sorry to bust to bust somes bubble, but most of Capsticks books were written in a bar.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

>roy. encroaching american culture, ? are
>you shizz me,

Nope - that's why you gotta read the book elkun.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom