Boot Dressing for Meindls

mshane

So I just bought a pair of Cabelas Meindl Perfect Hunters and they feel great but as some of the reviews that I read have said, they squeek. I have used Montana Pitch Blend in the past for my Danners but am looking for some suggestions for something new that will A. keep the leather conditioned and waterproof and B get rid of the squeek. As a bowhunter the squeek is not acceptable and if I can't get rid of it the boots will go back to Cabelas. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I use Nikwax conditioner on mine. Looks like milk, just rub it on with the applicator, let set for 5 minutes, and wipe off the excess. I only use Pitch Blend on my Schnees pack boots.

Cabela's, Bass Pro, or Sportsman's should all have Nikwax, as should REI or any other mountain shop. I have used Obenauf's for years to condition the leather on my boots. Works great and keeps them from cracking.

I just use mink oil on my perfekts and denalis. Make sure that you get the mink in the leather folds at the very bottom of the laces (top of your foot). That is where the sqeak comes from but it will not go away unless you get it deep in there.

Mink oil. Before you apply the oil put them in the oven and bake at 200 degrees for 5-10 minutes then apply and working in the mink oil. Afterward put them back into the oven again at the same temperature for another 5-10 minutes. Yank um out and let sit over nite then repeat again the next day if desired. Works awesome. That and it'll make your woman think your nuts for baken your boots.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

I'd be worried about what the above does to the the Goretex in boots that have it? . . . Nikwax is a water proofing substance, which is good for boots that have no Goretex, but obviously won't hurt to put on boots with Goretex . . . Obenauf's or similar is a leather conditioner, which keeps the leather soft, plyable, and resistant to cracking. On a typical new pair of leather boots, I start off seam-sealing all of the exposed thread. This creates a hard "shell" over the thread that may be vulnerable to scraping on rocks, etc . . . Then apply the Obenauf's thoroughly and let them sit in the warm sun for a few hours.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom