Boot recommendations???

S

SHEDSTALKER

Hey guys and gals, I'm going to be in the market for a new pait of boots pretty soon and I also want to get a good pair for my girlfriend because she wants to start looking for some horns with me. I'm looking for some around the 200-600 thinsulate range that are 8-12 inches high. What boot do you like and which ones would you steer clear of?

Personally, I have tried Rocky, Danner, Whites, Irish Setter, and Sorel so far. I loved the Whites for just horn hunting and everyday hiking, but they were too noisy for hunting season and I have also liked my Irish Setters. I absolutely HATED my Danners. The Rockys were comfortable enough, but I wore them out after only 1 season, so I was disappointed by that aspect. I know Kenetrek and Loaa's are both highly regarded by most guys (my dad and 3 of my good shed buddies all have those), but I just wanted to get some other opinions before I fork out a few hundred bucks for a couple pairs of those. Thanks for your input.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-06-11 AT 04:10PM (MST)[p]My latest pair of hiking boots are the Irish Setter Elk trackers. I absolutely love them. They are a bit of an investment but well worth it. They are way comfy, its like stepping on a pile of goose feathers! There is no supplement for a good pair of boots. I have wore Redwings (Irish setters) at work for years their quality is un matched!

I've worn out just about every brand of boot and have yet to find a better pair than the Meindl Denali Fit IQ's. Expensive but worth every penny in my opinion.

stay away from rocky for sure i have two pairs of miendls and love them both they are expensive but you can't beat them. i just wore out one pair after 8 years of hunting and horn hunting i put thousands of miles on that pair and the still aren't in that bad of shape some of the stitching is just coming out. overall they are awesome boots.

My next pair of boots is going to be Kennetreks. They are by far the best pair of hunting boots in my opinion. From everyone i have talked to who owns them they love them, thats what i'm buying. Find the horn Goose!

i own meindls now and have owned every pair of boots you have named in the past. by far the MEINDL is the best boot i have ever owned

i currently have a pair of irish setters that i bought last june and they are blown out on one foot on both sides. they made if through one hunting season, coyote hunting in winter and sheddin so far this year. have had danners and they lasted bout year and half. irish setters are pretty comfy though. would like to hear what rest of u have to recommend in a boot to last longer. at least the danners made it year and half. have also had rockys and they only made it a year. thanks

Take a look at Scarpa. They are a mountineering boot so they are really stiff soled, but it makes for easy climbing on steep slopes. I have had 2 pairs of the mantas and use them year round for firefighting, hunting, and horn hunting, last about 3 to 4 years of solid use year round. Im looking at getting a new model called the fuego which is coming out soon which is taller and provides more ankle support. Just my 2 cents.

+1 love my pronghorn danners. i didnt even have to break them in, not too crazy expensive either and have an awesome customer service. highly recommended

I like Kenetrek. More important than namebrand is how it is made. I used to love the Danner Pronhorn because as stated above there is no break in time and they are very comfy and lightweight. In reality they are too soft and do not give your feet the support they need. You need a stiffer boot so that your feet are not taking the shock and heavy weight of packing all of those antlers. The stiffer boot uses the boot to help you balance on uneven ground and when you are going uphill and down hill. Stay away from tener shoe type boots. fatrooster.

I personally dont think u can get a better boot for the price than Mendels Perfect hunters I got my last 2 pairs from Cabelas paid around $225 1st pair lasted almost 4 years & I put on a minimum of 500 miles a year on mine in mostly rocky country & sage & timber..these boots are out of the box & go..have never got a blister or had any foot problems with them...another good choice would be the Kennetreks...

Thanks very much for all the replies. I'll check out each type of boot you all mentioned and get whichever seems like it will be the best fit for me. Thanks again

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom