Boots for 101/102

V

venator36

I have been doing my research on boots for the upcoming season and am looking at the UA ridge reapers or the new UA Brow Tine, I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Ridge Reapers? I have read 40-50 reviews on various sites and people tend to say that they are good but squeak due to the material and that there isnt reaally a break in period. The boots I was recommeded I like and would prefer over the UA just because of the recommendations but I am not going to have a chance to break them in before the season. So I am pretty set on the Ridge Reapers, I think I can take care of the noise issue and I am waiting till the Brow tine comes out in July to check them out. any opinion on the Ridge reapers from experience would be much appreciated as well as any good or bad thoughts on the Brow Tine that is coming out next month.

Thanks in advance! :)

Area 10=Nasty, unforgiving country. Everyone has a budget, though. Buy the most solid, steady boot you can afford. Kenetrek, Crispi, Zamberlan, or Lowa come to mind. You're feet will appreciate it. Stiffer, more rigid sole on a boot doesn't transfer as much fatigue to your foot in nasty, rocky, uneven terrain with heavy loads. UA Ridge Reapers are good. Those others are better. Good luck on your hunt!

"He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain
of being a man" -Samuel Johnson

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-13 AT 06:54PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-13 AT 04:37?PM (MST)

Thanks Teambackcountry, I know I was in there last year, 50lbs on my back, I went prepared but I didnt have the boots, this will be my first year making sure I have everything I need! lol. my feet were in shambles. Like I stated before, I want to get one of those brands but I wont have the time to break them in, wont be back till June 20th and start the hunt roughly on the 27th of Aug. anyone know another way of breaking in boots with out wearing them? lol. THanks for the advice... Im not sure. I just have to wait till I can try some on...

Its very hard to try on good quality boots as alot of local vendors don't carry the higher quality(expensive and least bought) boots. I have yet to find a pair of Zamberlan, Crispi, or Lowa boots in town. I only found the Kenetrek mountain extremes and hardscabble here at Sportsmans. I think REI might carry some Lowa.

I do alot of hiking up in Cold Creek after work with a 40 pound ruck to practice for the season. I have a pair of Salomon Quest 4D boots I broke in in about a month doing this everyday...but of course then I saw they don't quite fit me right.

With the better boots out there, break in and such isn't really as big of an issue. Worse come to worse....go jump in some puddles and let the leather soften up.

I used to wear one or two pairs of mountaineering boots out every year, mostly in the Rubys, now my knees are a bit worn.

In those mountains you will have more short steep hikes so get some mountaineering- hiking boots, there are lots of places that sell them, mostly climbing-backpacking stores and suppliers. Try Sierra trading post for sale prices, wear two pairs of socks, one thicker, one thinner.

As far break in period I'm on my second pair of kenetrek mountain extremes and they break in very quickly and if you have any problems they have great customer service. Just my 2 cents

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-13 AT 10:03PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-13 AT 09:07?PM (MST)

huh,... I never thought about mountaineering boots. Im looking at some, read some reviews. seems there is a descent break in period for a lot of them? I see they are supposed to be more sturdy and rugged, are you saying your knees are a bit worn due to the mountaineering boots or more from the amount of hiking? I have never bought a pair of these types before, its a new area for me, I think I would have to do a lot more research on them berfore I decide. Thank you for the input, Its going on the list as an option...

I heard good things about the Kenetreks and bad, I guess its like anything else... what one person doesnt like, might be perfect for somone else. too many options...lol. gonna be at sportsman, basspro and REI a lot when I get back into town in bit. Probly gonna be looking for boots before I even sign for my apartment...lol. Im not in the states right now, gonna be fun shopping when I get back. Thanks for the inputs guys. All great and helpfull opinions.

I don't think it was the boots, probably age and miles. Stiffer shanked hiking boots or light mountaineering boots is what I would recommend.
Kenetreks are similar. Just a little advise from someone who has been to the top of the Rubys hundreds of times

teambackcountry1 said it best and gave a great list of boots. I'd like to add that soft boots will allow your arch to drop especially while carrying heavy loads. Over time this will damage your feet. My vote goes to the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme. They have a good deep rugged aggresssive sole on the bottom which really helps for gripping on rocks or dirt. Also, trekking poles are a huge help when it comes to saving your feet from getting fatigued. fatrooster.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom