Boss

R

Russ

Could someone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of having a Boss (sp) on any gun? How about on a 243 win.

If you do not mind going deaf, go ahead and put one on. Bottom line the boss is a muzzle brake, the recoil of a 243 does not warrant a muzzle brake unless you have a extreme problem with recoil. If you are looking at the Boss as a way to have a more accurate rifle, there are better ways to do this.
RELH

RELH,

I agree with you about going deaf. I am curious though in your comment that there are better ways to have a more accurate rifle - are you refering to the approaches of bedding the barrel, working the trigger, muzzle crown job, etc. or something similar to what BOSS does - tune the barrel for each load?

~Sonny

I absolutely hated my B.O.S.S.! Every critter that I have shot with it , it has taken me several days to get my hearing back. Mine is on a B.A.R. 300 win mag. I had to get a machinist buddy to make me a replacement without the holes. If you like your hearing, DO NOT GET A RIFLE WITH A B.O.S.S.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For those of you that do have them, Browning/Winchester offer a replacement.
Eric
Bird-01.gif
075313.gif

costumed-smiley-024.gif

Life long "vagitarian"
la.gif

My dad purchased a Winchester Model 70, .270, with a boss about 2 years ago. It came with both the ported and non-ported boss systems. He uses the non-ported boss, and the gun tuned and shot like a dream. The ported boss is too loud to shoot without hearing protection.

Sonny;
Yes, I am referring to those type of procedures. Bedding and crown work is where I first start. I have done this to numerous factory rifles and have them show a dramatic increase in accuracy. I am talking about a good bedding job, alot of people, even some gunsmiths, think that they can slap in some bedding compound and make a rifle shoot better. There is a proper way to bed a rifle and there is a wrong way. Most rifle companies are now turning out good barrels, and minor ajustment work can make them shoot under one inch for three shots. Most of the problems lie in the bedding contact and, or the barrel crown. As for trigger adjustment, Remington, Winchester still make their triggers adjustable and they are easy to tune. the exception is Ruger. They have about the worst trigger on the market, and they usually have to be replaced with a aftermarket trigger to get a very good trigger. Ruger does this to help protect them from lawsuits due to a accidental discharge. Their triggers are noted for 6-8 pound pulls. If your barrel is not up to snuff, even a "Boss" will not help it.
I hate any type of muzzle brake because of the hearing damage they do. I do not like hunting while wearing ear muffs and I can learn to deal with the recoil and any accuracy problem is easy to fix without going to the "Boss" or any other muzzle brake. Hell! the rifle barrels are long enought, why hang 3 inches of vibration damper on the end.
RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom