Bow for sheep?

C

CDN_blacktail

I was wondering if anyone has taken a sheep thin horn or big horn with a bow and if it is at al possible? Any tips would be helpful! I hunt in British Columbia

Taking any sheep with a bow is an accomplishment, and there are a few sheep harvested every year in BC with bows. In northwestern BC there is a bow only zone for stone's sheep and some of the serious bow hunters are quite successful in there aswell as other parts of the Province. I really adimer people that are dedicated enough to harvest a ram with primative weapons. Good luck, Cheers Ramchaser

Alberta has a bow only zone for Rocky's and Colorado has bow only draw tags in many units with harvests every year. I can't recall off hand if any other 'lower 48' have bow only draw tags??

pleasedeer, you names the only 2 bow only sheep units I am aware of - CO & Edmonton Alberta, both for rocky.

One day I would like to take one with a bow, but for now, drawing against 100:1 or worse odds will find me on the mountain with my .280. After I get one sheep, if I can afford to hunt 3 weeks, I would try bow.

There was a great article about, in my opinion, quite possibly the most dedicated archery sheep hunter in existince. It was in F&S and might still be on their website. This guy applies every year to the frank church wilderness of no return (Idaho). He has drawn 3 times (sheep are VERY scarce so tags are not to hard to draw there). He has gone in for about a MONTH, every time. One time he saw no legal rams. One time he was in with his buddy who was rifle hunting. They got into a group of 7 rams. (After 2 weeks) his buddy took a big ram and looked over at him and said, they are still there and one is a dandy - you want the rifle? Nope, he went after them with his bow, unsuccesful, and did not see another legal ram the rest of the hunt.

It is a GREAT article and this is one man I would like to meet someday.

Imagine all that time and never even getting within bow range. 3 one month hunts (that alone is rough). This guy is still applying to go back with bow, even after that.

Well there is a bow only area for stone?s sheep in British Columbia and it's been in place quite awhile now. This area is not a draw area, and resident BC bow hunters can hunt it every year and take a ram every year if they please, and there are several that do. The only restriction is that it has to be full curl over the bridge of the nose or eight years old. This area is located in the Skeena Region and if you want more information phone the Regional Wildlife Branch in Smithers (250) 847-7260. They can provide you with a map of the boundaries; the season begins August 1 to October 15. I guess the only hitch is it is only open to resident hunters or guided hunts that are within the local outfitter that covers the area of the bow only area. The positive aspect for non- residents is that there are a lot of stone?s sheep in Northern BC and the odds of harvesting bow killed rams outside the bow only area are equally as good. I guess we're lucky all our four subspecies of sheep are open for hunting without draw and we can harvest one sheep a year. Cheers Ramchaser

The BC area for bow only sheep is Todagin Mtn. There is a good hiking trail right into it. It gets hit pretty hard the opening week of the season and that's about it. A guy who works in my section of WLAP arrowed one out of there with a recurve a few years back. I've also seen some video that the district CO in Dease Lake shot on Todagin. There are a pile of rams there.

The area in Alberta is actually near Canmore, not Edmonton. There are also bow-only zones in Yukon and Alaska and Alberta is likely to get another this year. I know several hunters that have taken rams with a bow.

A buddy on mine took this Stone in B.C. last year

thomas_stone_sheep.jpg

That is a cool picture sheephunter , a big congrats to your friend . Here in NM the big horn hunt can be done with a weapon of your choice , rifle , muzzle loader and archery . A friend of mine who has worked for an outfitter that guides ram hunts in the Pecos said they have taken clients who have taken a bow and rifle , or muzzleloader and rifle . As for myself , if I draw one of 8 coveted tags , I'd with out a dought be shooting my T/C Firehawk .50 topped with a 3x9 bushnell banner bp. Someday eh , somebodys got to draw , mightas well be me....NMhuntnutt...PS , thanks for sharing that awesome picture...LG

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom