bow forgiveness

tayhot

Why are bows with a longer ATA distance more forgiving? I have a PSE Bowmadness XS, if I went with the XL would it then shoot better?

Good question.
Longer bows give you less angle on the string at full draw. This makes peep site angles easier, string pinch less...etc.
Also longer bows are easier to hold steady.
One more thing, but most importantly, increased brace heigth equates to more forgiveness. The longer brace gets the string off of the arrow sooner and eliminates chance for movement and vibration to impact the arrow. This slows down speed but makes the bow more forgiving.
Anyway those are my thoughts.
Bohntr could really add here.

I shoot a bow madness XL, best shooting bow I have ever owned or shot. It is very forgiving, at least for a fast bow. You may want to shoot the regular bow madness, the xs and the xl to compare how they shot for you...

longer ATA bows are more stable for a number of reasons, many already stated. It also depends on your draw length. a 25" draw archer will be able to shot a short ATA bow better then a 30" draw archer. this is due to more string angle makes the bow more susceptible to tipping left to right.

you also have to look at what you define as forgiving. If like me you want to shoot well out to 100+ yards you better shoot a bow that will give you a little help. if you are looking for out to 30 yard accuracy a shorter bow will do as the shooters errors won't show as badly. I know there are a few people that could shoot a 20" ATA liberty well but the majority of archers can't. now I am sure people will say BS on me but when you get into the hills on unstable footing and the elements are at there worst I like a little help on my side when I draw my bow back.

alpinebowman

>>>---shots that are true pass right through--->

Well that used to be true but with the tech advancements in limb design and pocket designs brace heights are getting shorter axel to axel lengths are coming down and forgivness is going up , take a look at the new pse x-force series , I was converted 2 yrs ago and have not shot a better bow yet, and I shot alot of them .

Your spot on cowboy...things are getting better.
The shorter bows of today are very very forgiving
In general

A lot of people are liking the PSE Vendetta XL as well. I know the shorter bows are much better today than they were in the past, but sill prefer the longer ATA myself and find I shoot better with them. If I used a tree stand, I would look more seriously at the shorter bows, but I don't.

That being said, the PSE xforce bows are incredible bows. You can get them in the 6 and 7 inch brace heights, etc. I almost bought one of those instead of the bow madness XL. For some reason, the lower price of the bow madness bothered me, I was looking for a premium bow... But it just felt and shot so well, I went with it and have no regrets. Even like the fact that I saved hundreds of dollars now.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom