Bow,

SnowsNBlues

OK guys, I am thinking about getting back into archery hunting.
I have been away from it for a lot of years so there is a lot that has changed with bows and equipment, etc. I would like some feed back as to what do you you all like for bow brands? I am thinking Hoyt or Mathews but I haven't looked at either one in person. Do you like using a hip quiver or quiver that goes on your bow? I know there are a lot to choose for arrows also. It would be helpful to get some input here, and any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

I would head to a good pro shop that carries some different brands of bows and shoot them. Chevy, Ford, Dodge, everyone has their own brands they love. Honestly they are all good now days and one may not feel good in your hands while the other one does.

As far as the quiver I like mine on my bow where I can grab arrows easy. When I try a hip quiver of pack quiver I seem to destroy the arrows as I am walking around but that's me.

I'm shooting a Hoyt and really like it. If you'd like, I could share the details of all I'm using. I always tell my wife, "this bow could drive nails at 80 yards if I were a better shot". It's extremely accurate. Knocking on wood right now, but I do like it. So, Hoyt. I'm not even sure what model I have.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook!

I SHOOT A HOYT AS WELL, LOT OF GOOD BOWS OUT THERE. I WOULD BUY THE EASTON FULL METAL JACKET ARROWS.....THEY ARE TOUGH & YOU WILL HAVE THEM FOREVER. A NOTE ABOUT FMJ ARROWS......THEY ARE EASIER TO PULL OUT OF TARGETS. THAT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE IF YOU SHOOT A LOT, SAVES THE SHOULDERS FOR SURE.................................YD.

I agree go to a bow shop and shoot a few. Lots of great bows.
I'm very happy with my Bowtec Carbon Icon. Light, smooth and accurate. Prime are great bows, Hoyt has some great bows. Good luck.

I am a huge Bowtech fan, warranty is almost second to none, and they make great bows. I shoot gold tip arrows, strong, easy to pull from the targets, and just a great all around arrow.

The best advise you can take is go shoot a lot of different bows, see what feels good to you, Everyone is a little different.

I don't think you could go wrong with Hoyt or Mathews. I shoot a Hoyt and I'm very satisfied. Easton ST Axis for my arrows tipped with Slick Tricks.

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

Hey Thanks for all the comments guys, it was very helpful. Im in Utah county and know of a few archery shops here. Do you like one more than another?

Prime, smooth mid range speed
Pse, not so smooth fast
Hoyt, pretty smooth, fast, love the new nitrum
Bowtech, pretty smooth pretty fast. The new models are the best they have made yet.

I love hoyt for the durability, accuracy and draw cycle.
I have been less impressed with this year's mathews.

Honestly, they all work, and you can get good accuracy out of any of them.

Make sure you take a look at Elite bows as well. I prefer a quiver attached to the bow and Gold Tip arrows are some of the best.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-15 AT 09:46AM (MST)[p]I purchased a new bow last year. I went to a local archery shop that carries Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, and Bowtech. After shooting all 4 a number of times, I decided on the Bowtech for a few reasons.

1. Weight. The model I bought was( at the time) the lightest bow on the market.

2. Price. The Bowtech was cheaper than the other 3 by 15-20%.

3. Smooth draw. The Mathews was as smooth as the Bowtech, but I felt that the Hoyt was behind in this category. PSE was worse than the Hoyt.

It came down to Mathews and Bowtech, but price and weight eventually won me over to the Bowtech. I have heard great things about Elite, but the shop I went to didn't carry those. I would try to find a shop that carries Elite so that you can shoot that brand as well.

I prefer a bow-attached quiver. I have used both, and the hip quiver tends to hang up arrows on brush, etc.

One thing to consider when buying is what type of hunting you plan on doing tree stand ground blind spot and stalk. I do mostly spot and stalk so I look at three things for my bows. Brace height I like a 7-7.5" brace height axle to axle length I usually stay between 32"-35" and last speed I look for IBO ratings in the 335+ FPS range. So this year I bought a bowtech prodigy great bow for what I use it for. Usually most bows that spec out in the range I mentioned have the best blend of speed accuracy and forgiveness. Good luck in your quest buying new bows is almost as fun as shooting them.

I have a bowtech insanity cpx and I love it, she's a little heavier compared to most bows but I love the huge cams bowtech uses, lot of people complain about them being too agressive but I love when ya pull back and hit the wall it's solid unlike some other brands.

As far as warranty, the bowtech warranty is great I had some problems with the finish flaking on my limbs, (structurally they were fine they just had white edges where the paint was chipping.) My bow was 3 years old when I contacted them about it and they had no problem fixing it for me at no cost. I just dropped it off at the local shop and picked it up when it was done.

If I were to look at bows right now I would consider the Hoyt nitrum, or the bowtech 360 rpm. Mathews are good I just never liked how shallow the cams were and it always felt like the back wall was spongy. I haven't shot the no cam but I don't think I ever would.

One more thing as far a quivers I love my tight spot ya it's a little pricey but it's super light and hugs the bow nice and tight and doesn't cause any torque.

This is my bow

[/URL

Those pictures don't have the quiver on them but this one does I love this quiver.

[URL=http://s614.photobucket.com/user/Bonecollector91/media/CAM00265.jpg.html]

Once you get into the sort of primo brands, its really hard to go wrong. Hoyt, Matthews, PSE, BowTech... They all make quality bows, it really comes down to which one feels best to you. Hence, you need to go shoot a few of them.

I have liked Hoyt but don't own one. I also have friends who have BowTechs and they absolutely love those. Go give em a test drive. Its fun shopping for bows.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom