"Bravo Full Curl Society"

Broomer

Got back from the Full Curl Social this afternoon and those that were not there missed out on one of the biggest, and exciting things to come around for a long time. I just want to thank Don Peay and Karl Malone for creating an opportunity to give back to us that dream so big about hunting sheep! Sometimes conservation and all that goes in to it gets boring, or forgotten and is hard to get fired up excited about. Because of that many IMO loss interest in the groups that lead this charge. Peay has to be a genus at a time when a rally cry from sportsmen is needed more than any time. He and Karl have created something that IMO will steam roll through the sheep hunting community like wild fire.
In short here is what I got is the purpose of this Society... to give back to so many that have pioneered sheep hunting, these seasoned sheep fanatics have the chance to pass on to those who are young that have caught "sheep Fever" an attainable goal of hunting sheep even on a middle class income. With the help of a few with generous harts and a desire to keep sheep hunting live and vibrant in the harts of those who dream to some day hunting all 4 North American Sheep. To bring all sheep hunters and those that want to hunt sheep together for one cause- to protect our sheep- to fix the problems sheep are having and to help each other out.

I was drop jawed when I witnessed sheep hunters getting chances to hunt a sheep they've never hunted by just becoming a member and attending the social. Each person had at least 3 chance to win a sheep hunt that was bought through donations by generous men with big dreams for future sheep hunters and there generations of sheep hunters. 10 hunts were given away to "US" poor sheep hunters and this list spread across the country from N.C to Nevada. One guy who had killed 3 sheep drew a hunt and was asked what he needed to finish his Full Curl and the guy said a Desert! Don said "OK" done!.... thee most coveted tag and most expensive to buy was his just like that for $40.

As a young sheep dreamer I love this idea. It opened my eyes to really who these guys are that put on these events and though they get hammered many times on here they put there money where their mouth is and that is the fact. Awesome.

Congratulation to those 10 people who drew sheep hunts and to Don and Karl for making this a successful inaugural event. Thank you for all that you do!!!!!!!!

My views are "tainted" at this point since Karl Malone drew my name for a sheep hunt 1 ticket to early and I had to throw it back!!!!!

Overall a pretty interesting event at the birth of a new org. I like some of the ideas and hope the group can continue to progress and grow to help sheep. In my mind more people and resources working for sheep in never a bad thing.

Still wishing Karl had draw my ticket for a Stone vs Dall hunt.....

Sandbrew

Sandbrew,

What's your secret? How exactly do you fold your tickets so the person that pulls the tickets gets yours?

We were sitting one row over from you in the drawing, BRUTAL.

However, 10 people with sheep tags, WOW!

Hello sheep nuts;

That's too bad for those who didn't draw (I've known the feeling a thousand times) and for those who were drawn "too early" ouch!

The good news is that my daughter, Jessica, WAS drawn for a Dall sheep hunt at the first FULL CURL SOCIETY meeting. Wow! She will have the chance to make it to 1/2 Curl!

I have been a supporter of Don Peay since the first days of pre-UFNAWS even when others were not so complimentry. Who else do we have with the drive to get things done for wildlife and hunters while working WITH the professionals in the local Fish and Game agencies? What a great team! Now with this new Society formed by Don and Karl we will continue to see great things!

Go Don and Karl!

Zeke

+1 to what Zeke said in his post. It was a very exciting social for me. Congrats to Jessica and all who won. Hopefully they will post something here about their hunts so all of us who weren't so lucky can share the experience. I already posted my rant about the critics in the General Hunting section (didn't know this post was here).

+2 Zeke
And Sandbrew, I also felt for you guys that drew at the wrong time, but hey you were obviously closer than me.

All in all it is amazing to think that they probably gave out somewhere around $200K worth of hunts at that event!

In my mind, that is pretty hard to complain about!

+3 The future of hunting and sheep hunting in particular just got a whole light brighter, and not just for the 10 luckly people who are now looking forward to a once-in-a-lifetime type hunt. The Full Curl Society is already a success! Thanks to Don and Karl, and congrats to the 10 lucky hunters who drew tags! TJ

+4 What an amazing start to the FULL CURL SOCIETY!! Don and Karl continue to help many of us realize life long dreams. My name was also drawn one to early, but thats perfectly OK! a great friend of mine had his name drawn and is hunting a Dall in 2011. The future is looking bright for all sheep hunters, new and old!! It was awesome watching new sheep hunters start their dreams and old hunters realizing dreams they may have never realized without the help of others. KUDO'S to Don and Karl and the generous donors that made this all possible. Greg

deadheads;
When I heard your name drawn (at the wrong time) I thought it was too bad that a sheep nut of your caliber wouldn't get a chance to go........YET!

When Don said that with the projected membership and donations we would have maybe 20 hunts for next year I almost fell off my chair! I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR! Karl and Don have outdone themselves this time! When I had the chance to see their excitement for others it gave me a glimps into their hearts. They really care about wild sheep and the people who hunt them!

I will NEVER be one to draw at the Full Curl, I can't, but it's SOOOOOOO much fun to watch others win big! I know that my family and friends will be part of this organization and help how, when and where we can!

BTW, We may have met in person but I'm not sure. Your reputation precedes you so when I heard your name I knew who you were.
Zeke

Zeke,
I was sitting there with my 16 yr old son when they read your daughters name and he remembered she killed a great ram this past fall, and he said I hope I draw a sheep tag someday, well that day looks a whole lot more possible now. I think that's why many of us love hunting sheep, always looking forward to sharing it with someone else, and if we get lucky enough, we get to share it with the people we love the most! I only can hope that I get the chance to share a sheep camp with my boys like you did with your daughter, what a great time it must have been for you.

If I remember right it was either you or your brother who sold me my first rifle at Wolfes Sporting goods many years ago, I was one of those pesky kids that was always bugging you and Kurt, you guys were great! always had time to talk huntin.

Congrats to your daughter on her Dall hunt, looks like you two have another Daddy Daughter date!
Greg

Zeke,
Congratulations to your daughter. What an awesome experience your are both in for.

I am also in your boat and won't be able to draw at the Full Curl Society meeting, but I am more than glad to throw in my $100 to give my friends and family a chance. What Don and Karl have done here great for sheep hunters and sheep. Karl didn't just give the guys (and gals) who won a hand shake, he was truely exicited for them and gave each of them a huge hug.

Thanks to all of those that donated both large and small to this cause. I look forward to attending again next year to see the excitement as someone elses sheep hunting dreams are filled.

Paul

Deadheads,
I can tell you, from recent experience, that hunting sheep with your son will be a lifetime highlight. And it will eventually happen if you keep after it. Good luck to you and your son in the draws. Who knows, it could even happen this year!

Hello again all!

As I said before, the best people I have ever met have been through the hunting world, some of them right here!
I have met new people and enjoyed renewing old friendships.
Thanks! There are 5 people just on this thread who I know.

Maybe the MM mystery writer, dkpeay, will weigh in on our discussions. haha. Or at least post the names of the lucky people who drew hunts at the Full Curl Society mtg.

A couple of my friends drew great expo tags too! Shadowhunter got a Bull Bison tag and our favorite auctioneer drew a Rocky tag! Pretty cool for them AND thanks to them for letting us celebtate their good fortune!

Zeke

AWESOME EVENT, thanks to all for coming

going to try and GET 32 sheep hunts in drawing for next year, 20 would not be enough FUN.

Many, many ohter generous donors are stepping up, as are outfitters.

last year, the critics predicted Failure - WRONG AGAIN !!

Winners

Dall Hunts, NO Curl

Paula Richmond Utah
Nicole Leichty Utah
Rob Keck South Carolina

Quarter Curl

Jessica Terry Utah

Half Curl

Stone, Jeremy Bergen Alberta Canada

three quarter curl

Mike Tonn - wyoming needs desert

bonus hunts

ahsley johns - dall Nevada
Brandon Barney - Dall Utah
Heston Johns - Stone Nevada
Derek Daley - Stone Utah

Ramquest Draw

Golden Bear Stone Tom Harwell Texas
Gundahoo Stone Jeff Jones Utah
Ramhead Dall Greg Sheehan Utah
Bonnett Plume Dall Karl Albrecht Utah
Arctic Red Dall Collin Allan Utah

200 Permit Draw

Deserts

Anthony Piscopo MOntana
Calr Albrecht Utah

Bighorn

Jack Risner Wyoming
John Bair Utah
Maury Miller Utah

Arctic Red River - Dalls

Rhett Karen Utah
Joel Giorgis Wyoming

So, hunters from NEvada to South Carolina and from souther Utah to Alberta Canada won sheep hunts.

All but TWO of the 22 are "new sheep hunters" progressing towards their Full Curl

Pretty cool, thanks to all you for all the GREAT sheep conservatoin.

The EXPO is built upon having GREAT elk, deer, moose, sheep, goat and bison hunting, things that did not exist in nearly such numbers or quality 20 years ago, it makes a difference to be involved.

The NBA wanted Malone at teh All star weekend to announce his hall of fame nomination.

he flew out here on his own dime, had donated LOTS of money to launch Full Curl.

pretty aweseom when Dereck wins his stone and jumps into Karl's arms. America would be a LOT better place if there were more Karl Malones, that i know for sure.

Will have some more flexibility - more tags for those who have just killed one sheep, etc.

and will have a more refined drawing system, so we don't disappint someone who draws, but is not eligible - it was very clearly announced before the draw.

none the less will make it better next year, and did i mention, hopefully 32 sheep hunts, does that number ring a bell ?

Come on Don, Karl has done a TON of good for Utah wildlife, but DONT say America would be a better place without him. American ALREADY has enough fatherless homes.

Bravo Don and Karl;

Thanks for starting something that is exciting and productive.

With just a little association (35 year friendship with Don, 10 minutes with Karl) it is apparent where their hearts are. They love sheep and sheep hunters and work their azzes off for both!

When people rise above their circumstances and make a move to help others, it exposes them to pot-shots. That's life I guess.
Those who stand above others make easy targets. Too bad.

Don and Karl, Remember the quote from Larry the cable guy "half the people you meet are below average"

Congratulations to ALL the big winners and thanks for the post Don. Exciting thing are happening because of YOU!!!!!!!!

Zeke

How many people attended the social. Just curious what the odds of drawing a tag were.

BHB

I heard that there were somewhere around 6-700 in the hall, but not all of these people had sheep tickets. Some where just guests.
The odds were the worst in the "no sheep bin", but much better in the 1/4, half, and 3/4 curl bins. I am guessing the odds for some draws were less than 1 in 100 and when Don added 6 more hunts and threw them all together the odds got even better for some people.
Don actually designated some draws to go just to non-residents of Utah, and for those people, the odds were very good! Better perhaps than any other sheep drawing I have ever seen. It was a great event and it sounds like it is going to be even better next year. Congratulations to all the winners.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom