Bro’s Late Wasatch Bull Hunt

Stubaby

Very Active Member
It’s been a rough year for big bulls. I’ve only laid eyes on about 5 that would score over 340. There were three that I thought made it through the mid hunt but once they left the cows, we haven’t been able to turn them up. Here’s some bulls that we saw this past week-ish that didn’t make the list.

IMG_1866.png
IMG_1867.png
IMG_1868.png
IMG_1869.png
IMG_1870.png
IMG_1871.png
IMG_1872.png
IMG_1747.png
IMG_1728.png
IMG_1873.png

Last edited:
We found a bull that had some decent tine length that had been in the same spot on Thursday and Friday mornings. My brother decided that if he was there opening morning that he’d pull the trigger.

At first light we located the bull. He was with a rag horn and by 7am the hunt was over. I looked over around 75 bulls last week and this past winter really took its toll on both older age class mortality and antler growth on the mature bulls that did make it through. He’s happy and that’s all that matters.

IMG_1854.png
IMG_1852.jpeg
IMG_1847.jpeg
IMG_1838.jpeg

Congrats-that's a great bull! I certainly agree on the down year - we hunted hard on the Wasatch mid-season hunt for my boy and didn't see a bull larger than 320 and very, very few at the 300" mark.

The Wasatch is a horrible unit these days if your looking for a big bull. Spent 15 days helping on a cwmu this year biggest bull we saw was maybe a 330.

We saw the same caliber of bulls during archery and only 1 we think was 350+, it was a tough year finding good ones on public.

Congrats on an awesome bull!

Yur Darn Tutin!!! It was also a 6.5 Creedmoor!!

You gots to ease that heavy recoil!!! ?
I thought you couldn’t kilt an elk, especially a big bull with a 6.5 ;) love it! Congrats on a really nice bull and sweet shooting iron

From my experience, there is nothing easy about late season elk.
I suppose a few get lucky, but most earn every inch of bone.
Congratulations to your Bro on a nice bull.

Did you expect that? The general consensus, myself included, was that all that snow was gonna mean an explosion of feed =huge growth.

The bulls I saw on the Manti all looked like they didn't "finish" or wre stunted vs where it looked like they could be
I’m not sure what I expected, but it sure wasn’t this.

It’s been pretty wild scratching and clawing to kill 280-320 bulls.

From what I’ve heard the entire northern half of the state took a 40~” hit on antler size, I’m really curious to see what that means age wise.

I’m not sure what I expected, but it sure wasn’t this.

It’s been pretty wild scratching and clawing to kill 280-320 bulls.

From what I’ve heard the entire northern half of the state took a 40~” hit on antler size, I’m really curious to see what that means age wise.
I have heard that through many areas that were hit hard this past winter. I personally believe the animals that survived came out of winter in worse than normal shape so they didn't grow as big of antlers.

Did you expect that? The general consensus, myself included, was that all that snow was gonna mean an explosion of feed =huge growth.

The bulls I saw on the Manti all looked like they didn't "finish" or wre stunted vs where it looked like they could be
Great Hoss, there goes the moisture and genetics theory.......?‍♂️

In general the explosion of feed would mean great growth. What most people are missing is that the winter did a huge Toll on the bulls bodies. The problem was too much snow for too long of a period. They didn't get feed for atleast a month later than normal, and I was watching about 50-60 bulls winter. They were Super skinny, ribs and spine showing, and super weak. So I did some research and they have to build back their body before any real antler growth happens.. So if feed wasn't available for an extra month, and they needed a few weeks to start to build back their bodies, their real good antler growth was delayed as well. So there was an influx of bulls that finished 5pts and barely 6pt bulls. There were a couple diamonds in the rough where bulls wintered just fine, but the majority on the Wasatch struggled which delayed their good growth period.

In general the explosion of feed would mean great growth. What most people are missing is that the winter did a huge Toll on the bulls bodies. The problem was too much snow for too long of a period. They didn't get feed for atleast a month later than normal, and I was watching about 50-60 bulls winter. They were Super skinny, ribs and spine showing, and super weak. So I did some research and they have to build back their body before any real antler growth happens.. So if feed wasn't available for an extra month, and they needed a few weeks to start to build back their bodies, their real good antler growth was delayed as well. So there was an influx of bulls that finished 5pts and barely 6pt bulls. There were a couple diamonds in the rough where bulls wintered just fine, but the majority on the Wasatch struggled which delayed their good growth period.

Based on what I’ve been seeing—-this has to be the case.

I think it might even go a bit further, and if it’s correct, next year could be really fun.

We had significant drought conditions in place which meant that even at lower elevations bulls had no feed. Just compounded a bad winter.

This year? There’s ample feed right down to the valley floor. Bulls should be able to winter exceptionally well.

That could translate to what was sort of expected this season, exceptional horn growth fueled by healthy fat bodied bulls. Couple that with perhaps lower success rates from hard hunting conditions season…well if a guy was a gambler the northern half of the state could produce some bomber bulls this coming season.

I think it might even go a bit further, and if it’s correct, next year could be really fun.

We had significant drought conditions in place which meant that even at lower elevations bulls had no feed. Just compounded a bad winter.

This year? There’s ample feed right down to the valley floor. Bulls should be able to winter exceptionally well.

That could translate to what was sort of expected this season, exceptional horn growth fueled by healthy fat bodied bulls. Couple that with perhaps lower success rates from hard hunting conditions season…well if a guy was a gambler the northern half of the state could produce some bomber bulls this coming season.
That is my guess as well. If we have a normal winter that isn't long, I think it will be phenomenal for the Wasatch. Plenty of elk on the Wasatch, over 10,000.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom