Brother's State Land Buck

nmtaxi

Very Active Member
After striking out in the draws for any fall hunts, my brother John, nephew Cody, and myself decided to pick up a leftover deer muzzie tag. As busy as I had been, I had a hard time getting excited for this hunt that I had very low expectations for. But, being that my brother had been out of the hunting game for a while and just recently started again, and my nephew also had a tag, that was reason enough to make the long drive south.

The area we hunted was predominately State Land. If not for State Land access, many square miles of hunting area would not longer be open to hunters.

We arrived at our area Friday afternoon and did some looking around. We were fortunate to spot a herd of about 13 deer, with one decent buck, and one forkie. Since these were the only deer spotted that evening, we decided if given the opportunity for a double the next morning, my brother would try for the bigger deer (he had only killed smaller bucks in the past) and my nephew the forkie.

Saturday morning, we were on the same ridge we had spotted the deer on the night before, glassing for the herd. We found them 550 yards away feeding and bedding in a small ravine. If we could sneak up the opposite side of the ravine, we would be within 200 yards.

The wind was perfect, and we were able to close on them undetected. We could see the forkie, and I got my nephew lined up on him. My brother had to sneak further down to get on the larger buck. The plan was, my brother would shoot first, then my nephew. We figured the forkie would stick around long enough for my nephew to get a shot.

My brother connected on his buck, but my nephew just missed the forkie. Everything worked out just as planned, and we were all excited to have at least one buck down. Truly a great morning of hunting. Rarely to things happen just as planned.

Not bad for a tag nobody wanted.

JD1_zpsgq4sr2fd.jpg

JD2_zpsvbbjgghw.jpg

JD3_zpsdvgmullg.jpg

Thanks everyone.

My son is headed home for 30 days of leave. On his last day in Washington DC he was able to arrow this whitetail buck. He'll be headed to Camp Pendleton in December. Hopefully he gets a chance to do some hunting out there as well.

DD4_zps4fnsakgz.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-15 AT 10:27AM (MST)[p]Way to make something out of nothing, nice muley. And nice whitetail your son got, thank him for his service, and hope y'all have a nice visit.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom