brown bear hunting

STOMPER

I was looking to find a place to take my wife brown bear hunting in 2014 and thot that I might ask you guys on here and see what happens. shes really wanting to take a bear over 9 feet and I've had several friends go brown bear hunting the last few years and never get a bear. I would hate for this to happen to my wife as shes addicted to giant bears the same as our friends and she wont shoot representative bears. Does anyone have any experience with an outfitter that has great success on giant bears that they wouldn't mind sharing with me?

Call Timothy Treadwell 976-LUV-BEAR

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Forget it. It's getting too hard to import the hide, especially if you try and bilk the guide.

Eel

Be ready to pay though the nose if you expect to get a 9 footer as they are getting to be far and few in between. 8 footer is more like it for a big one now. She may need to set her sights a little lower if she does not want to eat tag soup.

RELH

Hey HH?

You got a Pic or two of your Big Browns you could Post?

So?
You think you wanna take My Hi- Capacity Magazines & Assault Rifles Huh?
Just Try taking My American Pride/Rights!

It's been a long hard ride
And I won't lose hope
This is still the place
That we all call home

If your wanting a big bear 9ft or bigger I think your best bet is Kodiak island but is not cheap $20,000 now day's.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-12 AT 09:53AM (MST)[p]I'd suggest you start your research now, these hunts are very expensive and the more you put into it the better decisions you will make.
Brown & Grizzlies are going to be a guided affair, so I'd plan on attending the large hunting conventions this winter (SCI, FNAWS, Hunt Expo, DSC and devour all of the latest info you can on which outfitters are currently getting the big ones.

Get on the computer & contact the Kodiak F&G, they keep records of all bears killed including skull size, you can see which units are producing older bears.

If you opt for a truly large brownie, I strongly feel that you should hunt the first SPRING hunt available.
The biggest boars are the first to come out of their dens if you go later, you will see more bears, but you will see smaller ones and might be tempted to shoot
one.
Also if you go later, you will see rubbed bears that you will truly regret shooting.
You do risk too much snow however and bears late to exit the den.
You will see more bears in the fall but many will be smaller sows & cubs but days are very short, and weather often bad cutting precious time off of your hunt.
Big bears get killed on both hunts, my experience has been in the spring for both grizz & brown.

Hunt Kodiak Island or the south
western most part of the Alaskan peninsula.
Forget about southeast Alaska, they just
don't produce the kind of giant bears that Kodiak or the Peninsula do
The average grizzly isn.t a whole lot bigger than a big black bear, if you want a truly giant bear, hunt the coastal browns.

My outfitter info is dated a bit as I killed my last Brownie a dozen years ago, but these guys are still doing very well.

I took my 10 foot B&C bear with

Brian Peterson (907) 783-1886 Girdwood, AK

http://www.ugakbay.com/

He is a very honest, hard working guide with a real
honey hole on Kodiak.
He was very reasonably priced at the time.
He offers a 14 day hunt!
($10,500 in 2001)
He was on the board of
directors of the Alaska Professional hunter's Assn.
He has MANY years of guiding under his belt considering he
is still in his 40's

10foot.jpg

Other great Kodiak choices would be:

http://www.huntalaska.com/

Scott Mileur Truly a legendary guide on Kodiak,
Most honest, tough, hard working guy you will ever meet
PERIOD.
LOTS of GIANT bears under his belt.
He hunts the legendary area of Olga Bay where Pinnell &
Talifson trained him. He too offers a 14 day
hunt for the price. (VERY
IMPORTANT!)
I would go with him if my life depended on killing
a giant bear.
HOLD OUT FOR A BIG ONE,
YOU WILL GET IT.
Friend of mine killed a 9'6
bear with Scott.
I know him and have talked to him for many years
at the different conventions.
HE IS SUPERB.
I would have gone with him but I just couldn't afford
it at the time.

Big-Kodiak.jpg

Dennis Harms is a stand up guy with lots of big bears under his belt.

http://www.alaskakodiakbearhuntingsafaris.com/

P1000168.jpg

D.i.c.k Rohrer is a Kodiak legend, his son Sam is running his operation now I believe.

http://www.kodiakbearcamp.com/hunting.html

8.jpg

Alaska Peninsula...

Butch King

http://www.wildmanlodge.com/prod02.htm

WML4bear.net.jpg

Has taken TONS of monster bears, but his hunts are short and he runs a lot of hunters through his area,
but he does really well.

R&R guide service does a bang up job on Unimak Island as well.
It's a tough to draw hunt but there are giants there (and lots of wolves)

http://www.rrhunting.com/unimak-brown-bear/

ranrguide_002.jpg

Tim Booch has taken bears up to 11 foot square.
He's a very accomplished outfitter with some incredible trophies under his belt.

http://www.aleutianislandsguideservice.com/index.html

TimB.jpg

Dan Montgomery has been killing some really great bears too...

907-373-4898

fnaws.JPG

I hope you can attain one
of these hunts.
They are adventures of a lifetime, you will never regret it.

I hunted Browns this fall with Bristol Bay Outfitters. John Peterson and his guides are top notch! Lots of Bears and a wolf every now and then. His area just went to a 2 bear limit if that would interest you as well.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-12 AT 12:29PM (MST)[p]

I'll second Scott Mileur. I have a huge brown bear in my game room that I've been 'baby-sitting' for a friend who shot it on a hunt with Scott, guided by Harry Dodge. At the time he took it, it was the #1 bear in the Long Hunter Society record book. It is a 10'5" bear with a skull that is well over 28". He and a buddy who went with Scott's outfit had great hunts and both took very large bears.

I killed my brown bear with Lynn Castle (now deceased) out of his camp on Deadman Bay. Tom Kirstein now operates in that area and it is one of the prime areas on Kodiak for a big bear. Of course, Scott's area on Olga Bay is immediately to the west of Deadman Bay. Those are two of the top outfitters around for a big brown bear.

I'd certainly look at Phil Shoemaker and probably also Jimmy Rosenbruch. Rosenbruch's hunts are very comfortable since they're based off of a large luxury yacht, and he has very good success on killing some nice bears. That yacht may go a long way toward making your wife's hunt memorable in more ways than one.

Be warned, all quality brown bear hunts are very expensive these days, and most take booking well in advance to get prime dates.

ok heres what im looking at. im going to dsc after the new years to meet a guy to discuss an admiralty islands brown bear hunt. does anyone know about that area? im going to now look for the alaska skins outfitters as they look like an excellent choice. however hh has me drooling over his guide. im definitely gonna try to find him at dsc or the rmef in vegas. terras definitely going brown bear hunting. for some wierd reason this is her dream hunt and i wanna do my best to make it happen. thanks for all the info guys i really appreciate it. definitely some good advice from u guys.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom