Browning x bolt .300 win

hossblur

Long Time Member
Wow.

In 1990 Santa delivered me a Browning A bolt in 06'

Still my big game rifle. Fast, light, fairly accurate. 06', as we all know, good at everything, but not the champ anywhere.

So, I told my boys, at 16 I would buy them a good rifle, of there choosing(for the most part, I ain't rich).

Enter my oldest. Who determined the x bolt was his gun. BUT, hells canyon, and .300 win.

For a year I heard this. I tried to talk him out of the .300. I of course being old school, wasn't a fan of the sore shoulders.

His b day is Dec 26.

Being a man of my word, despite my hesitation of the .300, and honestly the color scheme of the hells canyon(20 years from now, I'm not sure it will be "cool")

So of course, come Nov, he suddenly decides he is in love with wood guns?. More specifically, X bolt medallions??

Long story short, and a company in Minnesota later(Reeds) his b day was a success.

Got it scoped up, 6.5 x 20 vortex viper.

Yesterday, we shot it.

Holy sh**. The boresight was 2" left. Perfect high(props to Sportsman's Riverdale)

He a good sized kid, plays guard/tackle. But I was still nervous it would punish him.

NOPE!!

It's loud as hell, our first ported gun, but it's recoil is not an issue at all. My 06' A bolt, kick is sharp and quick. The x bolt, is more a push than a kick. His skinny 11yr old brother handled it just fine.

2shots, clean. 2 shots, clean. Did that for 1st 10. At 50, it was sub 1", shooting Norma 150 gr.

The 2nd ten, at 100. 4 of 10 were touching.

I realize their are semi custom and custom guns that are better.

But FREAKING WOW. What a rifle. And at .300, it probably the best caliber for western game.

Kid made a GREAT choice, despite his dad's best effort.

Great job Browning!!

Last edited:
It’s nice to catch a break once in a while. (y)

That 300 is a pretty versatile tool. You have to let them cool a bit if you take ‘em after prairie dogs though. Mine have been drug all over and show it.

Good choice.

It’s nice to catch a break once in a while. (y)

That 300 is a pretty versatile tool. You have to let them cool a bit if you take ‘em after prairie dogs though. Mine have been drug all over and show it.

Good choice.

2 .300 I'd ever shot I hated.

The worst being a beautiful Winchester lightweight. My GAWD!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom