Bryce Harper...

Ozzman

Alright guys, lets hear your thoughts on this kid...

Number one draft pick at 17 years old. Graduated high school early so he could play JUCO ball where he did really really well (hit 31 bombs this season, with a wood bat. almost unheard of at that level).

As a former player, I have my own opinions on the kid. And having a brother in the minor leagues right now, he has shared his thoughts on it. I would be curious to hear from some of you folks.
How would you feel as a parent letting a 17 year old go play professional baseball (not exactly the healthiest environment, especially in the minor leagues)? As former players what are your thoughts? As a regular sports fan?

Sound off gentlemen.

Ozz

From what I have read the kid has traveled with and without his parents to tournaments across the country since he was around 6 years old. I know the things he is going to see and hear in the bigs are a far cry from what he has seen in the past. I hope he does well and doesn't end up like some of the others before him who swandered away their hard work and talent. If I was his parents I would say go for it while you have the chance. You never know what the future holds. He could be injured in a year and never get the chance he has now. I was suprised they announced him as an outfielder instead of a catcher. I have seen footage of his cannon and it is amazing.

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, then why did He make them out of meat?"
~Ted Nugent

I am not sure what to think, I have tried to read as much as I can about him to learn more, but at 17 that seems a little young and he will be exposed to a lot of different things probably on a daily or weekly basis that he has never seen before. I follow supercross/motocross as much as baseball and there are many kids that turn pro when they are 16 and have great careers and devote their lifes to it so it can be done.

I do hope him the best and that he can keep his focus and not get throw away the talent that he has.

If the nationals can sign him and Strasburg performs as expected they have a brighter future than they did a year or two ago.

They're talking about him as an outfielder to possibly save his legs. If he does turn out to be an offensive powerhouse, he will have a much longer career if he can keep his knees healthy. I think they're going to try and keep him away from behind the plate for that reason.
I don't really know what to think about the kid. He's extremely arrogant with an ego as big as anyones. We'll just have to see what happens. I did enjoy watching him play a little this year though.

Well, I have heard good things about him and other than that I only know this, my cousin's kid who pithches for Colorado Northwestern Community College in Rangley struck him out in May.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

My brother in law played H.S. ball with him here in Vegas so I got to see a handful of games. He does come off as being a little cocky but I don't know many 16-17 year old high school athletes that arent.

One thing I like about him is his appreciation for the history of the sport. His favorite all time player is Mickey Mantle and he likes all the old school ballers. Anyways, i'll be rooting for him and hope to see him take the Yankees pitchers deep someday soon :)

....his parents should be on their knees thanking god that he isn't good at basketball.....

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-10 AT 10:53PM (MST)[p]

Bryce Harper is the most intersting talent in this year's draft, hands down. He's also a young man with some growing up to do, and it isn't going to be without some growing pains. He played against one of my teams last summer, and it was disappointing to see the apathy he played with. Is he supremely talented? Absolutely. However, he didn't hustle at all, didn't do the little things that matter, and was outplayed by several others on the diamond the day he competed against my team. He put up a very mundane 0 for 4, which is no big deal, except that his attitude stunk and everyone saw it. Interestingly in this case, the other coach in my duguout that day is now one of the Nationals coaches in their minor league system, and will be working directly with young Mr. Harper. I know what he thought of Harper that day, and it wasn't flattering. Harper's agent is the brother of one of my good friends who's son I coach, and we've had a few interesting discussions about him. He thinks that if he keeps his head on his shoulders and out of his arse, he has a chance to be very special if he also stays healthy. He certainly has the best representation and guidance available. I do wish him well.

I know one thing, the stories I'll hear about him while out in the duck blind the next year or two will be interesting, there is no doubt about that.

Got a bit of a hitch in his swing, lower body seems to come through the zone before his upper body. Im sure that is fixable though. I always like when a position player goes number one overall, the drafts are always deep in pitchers, pretty boring to follow all those arms.

He will either make it he won't. I am pulling for him to make it.

He won't be the last in this new trend. ANY success he has will trigger a recruiting fever nationwide.

As far as attitude goes, those guys in the minors will give him a harsh reality check, real quick!

And about what he is going to be exposed to.....seriously! Have you seen what these kids watch on TV, see and hear in school and are part of in life in general today?

I think he will be a great major leaguer and that the press will build him up more than the coaches with pride. I am curious to see how he does on the big stage. If it was my kid I would let him go play, in return for an African safari hunt and I want to hunt the expensive stuff.

Dillon

Let him play! He has obviously worked very hard at it and someone thinks he deserves it. Not everybody gets that chance and if he screws it up its his fault. Maybe he will turn out great, who knows.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I think this kid has potential to be phenomenal. He has the total package you would look for in a player and knows how to perform.

Only thing I see is the maturity of a 17 year old kid that has a pretty decent level of arrogance attached to it. If/when he overcomes that I think he will adjust and play to his potential... Until then, he will probably get alot of crap from teammates and coaches to help humble him up.

According to my brother (in the cardinals farm system right now) some of these arrogant high school draftees learn real quick their place on the food chain by some of the other, older more experienced guys.

All I know is that if the Nats sign their first 5 picks in the draft, and if Stras keeps doing what he did that program is gonna get a boost (if not in wins then definitely in ticket sales).

>....his parents should be on their
>knees thanking god that he
>isn't good at basketball.....
>
>
>
>JB
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Quite the opposite. His dad's a rod buster for pacific coast Steel out here in vegas. Tied rebar on my flood channel late last year.

-Cass

I hope he does good and stay the hell out of trouble.

Oregon QB poistion is now open.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Bryce Harper aside, the MLB draft is one of my favorite baseball events every year. I've been running my baseball program long enough that I now get to watch to see which young men I've cocached in the past and/or present, will be selected to continue their baseball careers.

This was the best year yet for EDH Vipers alums, as 14 young men who used to play for me (6 of whom are still playing this summer) were selected in the MLB first year player draft, led by Tylder Waldron of Oregon State, in the 5th round by the Pirates.

It's very enjoyable, and gratifying, to see names of players being selected, who are young men that I coached when they were 13-19 years old. Some were only with us for a single summer, while many are 2-5 year players in our program. They're a great bunch of guys, and at least a few of them have very bright futures. Of all our former players who've been drafted in previous years, the one closest to the show is Lars Anderson, who is playing for the Red Sox AAA affiliate in Pawtucket. I can't wait to go see him play at Fenway when he gets 'the call'.

CA- What type of program you coach? Sounds like you pump through some pretty good players, must be a good set up your are runnin... I have done a little (not as much as I would like) high school coaching in resent years myself and have watched some of them move on to successful college careers (still a little to soon for them to be drafted, but expect it will start next year).

www.edhvipers.org

Most of the top Sacramento area high school players play with me in the summer. We don't get all the players, but not very many pass up an invitation to play with us. Good group of coaches that span backgrounds from high school ball, to colllege ball, to several from pro ball. We play great schedules in venues that lots of college coaches come to, and have built a solid following of college coaches over the years, so the boys get lots of opportunities to show their ability. We also focus heavily on them being academically successful in order to maximize their collegiate opportunities.

I got to see him play at JUCO, Junior College World Series, held in Grand Junction, CO. What impressed me the most was his attitude. It stunk. On an infield hit he cleated the first baseman and it looked pretty intentional. The other team thought so. Later in the game he struck out looking and then drew a line in the dirt and told the ump that's where the pitch was, outside. He got thrown out of the game and since it was his second offence of the season it was a mandatory two game suspension which meant his team lost their next game and was out of the tournament.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom