My buddy got a new night muzzy a few months
ago, we are headed to CO this weekend, so we
went to shoot it last night, at 25 yards we could
not get it to hit a 10 inch target, the gun was shooting
10 inches low at 25, so we tried it at 100 and it was
1 1/2 feet low, the sight is adjusted as far as it
can go.

Anyone have any suggestions?

First, if you are hunting this weekend and have not shot the rifle before this you are WAY BEHIND. Now; you say it is a new Knight (not "night" I hope). Which one? What loads are you shooting? Are you are using the stock open sights that came on the rifle? Are you certain you know the correct direction to move the sights for raising the poi? (Rear sight has to be raised or front sight has to be lowered) to get the poi up. If all this is correct and the loads are decent then the only option is to change the sights. Personally if I were hunting Colorado and wanted to have decent sights I would install a peep sight rear and that should take care of the problem regardless of what is wrong with the stock sights. I do not have many Knight rifles so I cannot help unless I know what you have.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-08-09 AT 11:23AM (MST)[p]I know, about leaving it to the last minute,
I have shot mine several times, He is not
the smartest person, anyway, he is shooting
270 grain powerbelt platnums, with 100 grains
of 777, it is the stock rear sight and front,
We moved the rear sight as far up, even barely
hanging on and it still was a mile low, My gun
was easy when I first sighted it in, but we tried
everything with his, and can not figure it out.

I have had guys say that you lower the rear sight,
but my gun you slide it forward, higher to raise
the point of impact, is this correct?

Rear sight has to
be raised or front sight
has to be lowered

Sorry but this is not true
On my lyman great plains I
have to lower my rear to raise
my poi. I have had to do that
with all of my open sighted guns.

ALWAYS!!!!! move the rear sight the direction you want the bullet to travel. The Front sight is moved OPPOSITE the direction you want the bullet to travel. This is physics and is the ONLY way to do it. Make certain you are paying attention to the direction the sight itself is moving.

So, if you are moving the rear sight up as far as it can go, and you are still hitting low then you have a problem. First off, is it the wrong sight for that gun? Was it purchased new or used?

I have a Cabelas Hawken that struggles to hit high enough with 430 Maxi balls, but hit no problem with Patched Round ball. Big difference in the weight of the projectile.

Try shimming it, but you shouldn't ever have to do that. The load you are shooting is normal for this gun and you should have NO problems hitting at short range. Long range is a different thing all together as this is when twist rates vs length of the projectile vs. particular loads vs. particular barrels comes into play.

Sounds like there is a problem with that gun or at least the sights.

I had the same problem with a Knight and a Williams peep sight.With the peep moved all the way up ,it still shot low 5-7 inchs at 100 yards.I got ahold of Williams Sight Company and they sold me a lower front sight that took care of the problem.

This is the sight that came on the gun,
it is made by williams, I will have him
check into a lower front sight, Thanks for
the Info!

My friend just got home from work and I asked
him if it was the original sight, and he said no,
he had to order another one from Knight because
the fiber optic on the rear sight broke loose,
so I asked him if it came with a different front
sight and it did but he thought they were the same,
we checked and the new one is about 1/8 inch shorter,
so I hope this will help, which it should.

Thanks for all the input!

That should do a lot, hopefully it will be enough since you are out of time.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Not your original question but I noticed you are shooting a 270 bullet. Not that I'm an expert but that is a fairly light load for elk and most people will shoot bigger bullets. I have a Knight Revolution and shoot a 370 gr TC maxi ball lead conical with 90 gr of 777. I also recommend the peep sight on the rear. If you don't have time to shoot ahead of time and are looking for a range in CO, there is a do-it-yourself range just off I-70 at the Dillon exit. (Let me know if you want directions).
It does sound like the lower front sight should definately help the problem. Good luck to you both!

I agree, if your friend is after elk, the 270gr Platinum is to light. 338 platinum is Minimum weight for elk when it comes to shooting powerbelts. If you go to their website it will have a helper link for what bullet weight/ powder charges for such and such animal.

www.thepowerbeltforum.powerguild.net

He doesn't say, so I assume he is after deer with that bullet. Definately too light for elk.

txhunter58

We are hunting deer, He went and shot it
last night and it shoots like a dream,
I wish he would of told me he changed
the rear sight before, because I would
have had him check the front sight also.

We are almost ready to go, Heading to the
high country of CO.

Good luck to everyone in your hunts this
year, Thanks again!!!!!

75/751, We have never hunted in september
there so, we are going to give it a try.

In the later hunts all the deer are down
low in private and reservation and it is
tuff to get permission, so we will give it
a try at 10,000 to 12,000 feet, it is going
to be tuff, but timberline hunt will be fun!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-09-09 AT 06:16PM (MST)[p]Heading out in the morning for the same elevation in the same units with 2 buck and 1 cow tag. Could be we will cross paths! Good luck.

txhunter58

No, we hunted the high country for
4 days, only seeing 5 small buck,
and 5 does, It rained 90 % of the time,
so we packed up camp and moved lower, there
were alot of deer in the agriculture, but
no big bucks!
We had fun, but I don't know if we will
do it again, 11000 to 12500 feet in elevation
best deer country I have ever seen, but it
will kick your but, especially if your not
seeing deer.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos