Buffalo Hunt in New Mexico

A bunch of Ted Turners buffalo roam through the valle vidal eating the grass that is meant for our elk! As far as I am concerned we should all go shoot them.

CS Land & Cattle does not have buffalo. That's Vermejo Park Ranch owned by Ted Turner.

By the way... it is NOT a "hunt". It's a "shoot".

I've done it a couple times over the years. The meat is good, but can be really tough.

Is it better to shoot a cow? Is the meat better? Can I just buy the tag and hunt myself WITHOUT a guide, transportation, or food or lodging.

I've haven't killed a bull buffalo, nor eaten one so I can't comment on the comparison and Vermejo is the only place I have ever been. You can not go by yourself because they tell you which one to shoot.

You might even have to shoot one that's in an arena sized enclosure.

I know some of the other Buffalo ranches might be considered a "hunt", but Vermejo is not. It's nothing more than putting meat in the freezer and getting a buffalo skull & cape if you want.

I work on a ranch in NM that has Buffalo hunts (shoots)kind of pricey but first class.lodgeatchama.com. Send me a pm if I can help.

The bison in 26 are, and always have been, wild and don't respect international borders. But they are all on private land, so you'll need to get a "land-owner tag."

At the Amendaris between Socorro and TorC...Turners own web page (referenced above) lists the bison with the wild animals, not with the reintroduced critters. I'm pretty sure though, that if that herd is indigenous, that Turner has supplemented it with bison from elsewhere. They manage the bison like any other livestock herd, with some species-specific changes. It's gotta be like paying to go on a Black Angus hunt (for which you can probably also get a land-owner tag).

Here's some notes from a 10-year old article: The cull cows, generally about 20 years old, are harvested through hunting..."We just started removing the older cows," Wadell says... They've always removed their dry cows. "Now, with the drought," Wadell says, "we're dialing down a little bit. We're getting the numbers down to where we don't have to supplement."...While the livestock operation pays the bills, Wadell says he can see the day when the hunting side of the operation could be extremely profitable. Some of the culls are shipped and slaughtered, Wadell says, but they're worth more as game animals..."We've got a great market here," he says. "Same thing with our older bulls. I think last year we shot 188 cows and 38 bulls."...People come from around the world. Wadell says there's a waiting list for bison hunts. They get a lot of families who come out on a hunt..."It's like going out to cut a Christmas tree," he says. "It's a family recreational event to come out, and you've got buffalo meat for a year." LiveStockWeekly

About 15 years ago I got a call from an outfitter I knew.

(The details of this hunt are fading fast because my memory does not always serve.)

He had been lion hunting and had located a couple of old bulls back in the hills of the Gila.
He called me and he called the ranch that they had come off. I assume it was one of Ted Turners ranches.
I did not deal directly with the Ranch, but, my understanding was that these were bulls that got on the forest and should not be there. A deal was made between the outfitter and the Ranch to kill one of the bulls. I ended up writing a check to the ranch at the end of the hunt.
Long and short of it, I jumped in the car and drove all night and met them in Winston I think.
We got on horses and after a 3 hour ride we located sign. We were almost at 7000 feet elevation in a mixed Pinon and Juniper forest.
I did not know what to expect. I had heard that buffalo hunting was a shoot not a hunt. Mid day, we located the bull at about 500 yards. He saw us about the same time and blew out of there. We looked all afternoon for him and right before dusk we saw him trotting on top of a treed ridge.
We left the horses and took off running to get in position. He had seen us or sensed us and was moving.
The shot I finally had was at 490 yards. It was some of the best shooting I had ever done and some of the ugliest. I emptied two 4 round clips at him. At one point I thought I was missing him and held over. Also, one part of my memory that does serve was I was frantically looking for bullets in my pocket and tried to shove a string cheese stick into my gun. It was very hectic for those few seconds.
We had just sprinted to position and I had been breathing real hard.
He disapeared and we had the long walk over not knowing if I had killed him or not. We walked up on him and it was a huge relief.

It happened very quickly. Surprisinly I had hit him 6 times of at least 8 shots. I think the couple shots I held over to much because I was thinking I was low. They were all pretty good shots as well.
Buffalo are the toughest animals I have ever skinned. They have an 1/8 of dirt in their hide that eats knives.
This was one of my most memorable hunts. He was a great old bull, it was a exciting hunt and an animal that I had always dreamed about hunting.
We packed out every bit of meat on that thing that night and the next day with the horses. My previous hunting season had been weak and I wanted the venison. I had drove my company car there. It was the intrepid. The first year they had come out with them. I packed that car with that buffalo and pretty much bottomed out the suspension. I used to be pretty hard on company cars.
Great memory. I have one 35mm pic of that buffalo and the shoulder mount. I feel I was very lucky to have that opportunity to hunt one like that.

That's a great story. Cool way to hunt a buff.

I saw a couple of big old bulls on forest near Winston years back. I called the g&f and asked if the bulls were fair game. The reply I got was "If your dog got loose in the forest, is it fair game for somebody to shoot?". I left it there. I never thought of contacting the ranch. Kicking myself at the moment.

NMPaul, About 5 or 6 years ago I found where one was killed on the forest, likely close to where your hunt took place. I think the outfitter was from Cuchillo, NM.
I used to see big bull bison on the National Forest land in that area fairly regularly starting about 10 years ago, but have not seen any animals or any sign in the past 5 years.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-21-12 AT 11:31PM (MST)[p]>NMPaul, About 5 or 6 years
>ago I found where one
>was killed on the forest,
>likely close to where your
>hunt took place. I
>think the outfitter was from
>Cuchillo, NM.
>I used to see big bull
>bison on the National Forest
>land in that area fairly
>regularly starting about 10 years
>ago, but have not seen
>any animals or any sign
>in the past 5 years.
>

I feel I was really lucky to have done that. At the time I spent less than what some meat hunts go for. I have not been back to the area since. Still a pretty far drive. I did find a coues shed and saw elk while I was there.

To late to edit my original post. 390 yards. I re read that and I miss typed. The more time passes the further it gets I guess.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom