Building points for a newborn?

BGbasbhat

Very Active Member
Alright, the elk/lope deadline is coming up here in AZ...

My buddy and I were filling out our apps the other day and thought of starting to build points for my buddy's 3 week-old son...That way he could draw a bull tag before he goes to college!!!

The regs only have age limitations on actually hunting, not applying or building points.

Has anybody done this before? Know any details?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-09 AT 03:59PM (MST)[p]No can do.

A youngster can only get a bonus point in one of two ways each year, and both require he must be at least 9 to even consider it.

To even APPLY for an actual hunt, he MUST turn 10 before the hunt.

To apply for just the bonus point, he MUST be 10 before the application deadline.

Here's the actual law:

From the 2008-2009 Hunting & Trapping Regulations booklet. In the elk/antelope regs, it says to refer to R12-4-104 for complete info. See the applicable sections in BOLD type:

R12-4-104
Application Procedures for Issuance of Hunt
Permit-tags by Drawing and Purchase of
Bonus Points

A. For the purposes of this Section, ?group? means all
applicants who have placed their names on a single
application form contained in a single envelope, or submitted
electronically over the Internet as part of the same
application. No more than four individuals may apply as
a group.

B. An individual is ELIGIBLE to APPLY:

1. For a hunt permit-tag if the individual:
a. Is at least ten years old at the start of the hunt
for which the individual applies;

b. Has completed a department-approved hunter
education course by the start date of the hunt
for which the individual applies, if the individual
is under the age of fourteen; and
c. Does not have his or her license or license privileges
to hunt in this state suspended or revoked
at the time the individual submits an application,
as a result of an action under either A.R.S.
?? 17-340 or 17-502.

2. For a bonus point if the individual:
a. Is at least ten years old by the DEADLINE TO APPLY;
and

b. Does not have his or her license or license privileges
to hunt in this state suspended or revoked
at the time the individual submits an application,
as a result of an action under either A.R.S.
?? 17-340 or 17-502.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

That solves it for me, Tony. If I can't build points for em, I just won't have any kids. ;-)

Thanks for the details Tony. I had just glanced over the Elk/Lope issue, and hadn't dug into last years yet.

Well that's a bummer...oh well. Maybe he'll get drawn for his college graduation!!!

I believe a mother or father can sign a tag down to a son/daughter as long as the parent hunts with the child. I'm not completely sure though so double check.

In other words, you could put your wife in for bonus points only, build them up, then let your son apply with her or use her tag if she puts in and draws a tag before he does. But if she signs it to him, she'll need to hunt with him.

Grandparents can also sign over a tag... atleast one parent must be in the field hunting with the child. Coolest rule ever in AZ... it gets families out there hunting with the kids!! My nephew shot his first bull last year because his grandpa give him the tag... it was a family affair and a 367" bull hit the dirt in one shot! There is great opportunity in AZ for the future hunters.

Aim Small... Miss Small!!

Let's Get Bloody!!!

FUGGETABOUT IT!!!!!

Gino

My wife has been buying a sheep bonus point for 4 years in a row now. By the way my son just turned 4... hmmm interesting...

John

I have two sons that are 5 and 7 and each have a lifetime license. I had put them in three years in a row for bonus points before they changed the rule and said that they have to be ten to apply. Well, in Arizona, if you don't use your bonus points or put in for 5 years then they vanish. So I basically shoved money down a rat hole because their points will expire before they turn ten. They should refund the money or let them keep the points that they had accumulated. Its like stealing candy from a baby.

"They should refund the money or let them keep the points that they had accumulated"

Why?

They're not old enough to play the game, so they shouldn't get anything.

"I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money.
You can keep the "change"!"

They were old enough to play the point game when he started, so they should be grandfathered in my opinion. The same as waiting periods or a holding period in my mind, where should be frozen until eligible status.

There's a difference between not applying, and not being able to apply. They clearly would apply, since they already have lifetime licenses and do not hunt. They are supporting wildlife more ways than most of us that buy a license each year, through upfront money and investment. Read the lifetime license info for information.

I'd ask the head of the draw or bonus point section.

jasn, if your wife, or one of the grandparents donate the tag to the youngster, only one of the parents have to be with them. They changed it from where the donating person had to be in the feild with them. I checked last year, when my dad passed his tag down to my boy. The people down at the G&F stated as long as one of his parents or gaurdians were with my son he was OK.

When they applied they qualified for a bonus point that AZG&F later decided that they would take away. They took my money then took the points. Thats all I was saying

Interesting point toothache. I have never thought of that scenario before. Have you tried talking with G&F? You have a great point and it seems like in the name of fairness they would work with you since the rule was changed after you had starting playing the game. Anyway, they usually don't seem to bend, but I think it's definitely worth a shot.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom