Bullet Choice 25-06 for Antelope?

1BigDeer

My son & I will be hunting antelope in NM soon. I will be using my trusty 300 Win and my son will be using a 25-06. After taking lots of animals with my 300 I really like the Winchester ballistic silvertips in 180 gr. I used several more substantial bullets and they flew right through mule deer, caribou, antelope etc. The ballistic silver tips don't do that, nor do they blow a huge hole if they exit. The trajectory between the 300 Win and the 25-06 are very close using the same bullet. My questions are: Is the ballistic silvertip a good choice for the 25-06 or will it fragment too easily? What do you recommend?
I have taken many antelope and know they go down easily, but I have not taken them with the 25-06. I do not want to wound an animal. Thanks for your ideas!

Here he is...

Here is a picture of my New Mexico rifle antelope taken 9/16. It is my biggest to date. The country was beautiful as was the weather. My son also connected on his first buck which green scored 78 1/8. His first was better than all of my previous goats until I was able to take this buck. It was a great hunt and I hope I can do it again - SOON! I will post pictures of his buck when I get them sent to me.

45124d4f22dc9a6b.jpg

RE: Here he is...

well,it looks like its too late, but i have used the ballistic silvertip in my 6mm-06 on deer in the past. they go down and fast,but don't plan on eating any meat within about 8" of where the bullet hit's! that would be about 16" total! pretty much the whole side of a goat! try the accubonds, like others have said. thats a great looking lope! good job.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom