Bullet Choice for 25-06 Antelope?

1BigDeer

My son & I will be hunting antelope in NM soon. I will be using my trusty 300 Win and my son will be using a 25-06. After taking lots of animals with my 300 I really like the Winchester ballistic silvertips in 180 gr. I used several more substantial bullets and they flew right through mule deer, caribou, antelope etc. The ballistic silver tips don't do that, nor do they blow a huge hole if they exit. The trajectory between the 300 Win and the 25-06 are very close using the same bullet. My questions are: Is the ballistic silvertip a good choice for the 25-06 or will it fragment too easily? What do you recommend?
I have taken many antelope and know they go down easily, but I have not taken them with the 25-06. I do not want to wound an animal. Thanks for your ideas!

The ballistic silver tip should do just fine for antelope. My favorite bullet in 25-06 is the sierra game king 120 gr. for use on antelope. I believe Federal still loads the Sierra game king in 25-06, I handload mine. The 25-06 is a very good caliber for lopes.

RELH

Im taking my 257 for Lopes next month, and I chose the 100 gr Hornady Interlock. But yes, the BST will work great also.

I used the ballistic silver tips on a small mule deer last year. I recovered the bullet it mushroomed fine. I think it would be a great choice for Antelope.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom