bullet manufacturers

C

champset

What is your favorite brand of bullet to reload? (i.e. Hornady, Speer, Sierra, etc.)

If I am looking for accuracy and a bullet to use for smaller game, deer, antelope I prefer Sierra. I have had very good results with Sierra bullets in several calibers.
If I am going after game that requires a tougher bullet, elk, moose, bear, I use Nosler Partitions. Also the newer partitions seem to be more accurate then they were 10 years ago.

RELH

Sierra's get my vote also. I shoot the spitzer Boatail Game Kings and have had great performance from them.

Happy trails
Ridge Runner
"Now Pilgrim,you sure you can skin griz"

I think most of the bullet manufacturers have got thier bullets dailed right into a freakin science. My self I like Hornady bullets for smaller game and Barns XLC's for bigger game.
But I dont reload much anymore.

for my .264, i use 120gr nosler ballistic tips. tried several different loads with the barnes xlc and got horrible accuracy. 160 gr speer mag tip for my 7 rem mag, hornady v-max in my 22-250, 45gr sierras in my 22 hornet. i'd like to try 160gr combined technology bullets in my 7 mag, anybody got any experience or opinions on this bullet?

No question, Sierra Match Kings, Game Kings. But Barnes TSX are very good to my stuff too. Great customer service with both companies. So it's 50/50 for me.

I wasnt surprised to see Sierra rank high on almost everyones list!!

Barnes in my STW, Sierra for my 270's, Noslers for all my varmit rifles! NAP Razorbacks 5's for my bow's have trouble with expansion on them though...lol!

used to shoot a lof of sierra's but some years back switched to hornady's. shoot them almost exclusivley now and have been extremely impressed with them. 140 gr btsp's in my .270, 165 gr btsp's in .300 and '06, 100 gr btsp in .243, and 55 gr bthp match bullets in .22/250 and .223. just regular ol' hornady's. no plastic tips or any o' that other crap. oh yeah, i bought some sierra 125 gr flatpoint hollowpoints for my .30/30 the other day. hadn't loaded for it in over 25 years. ang to some 300 gr. flat point sierra's for my kid's .45/90. never could see any need for partitions or other fancy bullets. have absolutely no use for solid copper bullets, like the barnes'. i like velocity and you can't get it with them. bullet is too long.

I dont know about velocity problems with the Barnes now. I got a 168gr. TSX Barnes going about 3260fps, without much effort. You can make them scream.

i can't get a barnes' within 250 fps of what i load 140 gr. hornady's in my .270. the bullet is so long and there is so much barrel drag that with equal powder loads they blow the primers out. even barnes' say to load em .050" deeper than a jacketed bullet, to cut down pressure.

RLH, are you using the new Triple Shocks or the standard "X" bullet?

I must lead a charmed life with Barnes.

My first "X" bullet, a 150gr., shot a 5 shot group in the 3's using 75gr of IMR4831, Fed primers, out of a fickle .300 Win mag, that dont like anything other than a Sierra MK. The guy that sold them to me said that some like em and some dont.
Understatement, to say the least.

the x's were the ones i used. only tried them once. loaded up some went to the range they were so slow it was pathetic. heated em up a little and blew out primers. they must be half again as long as a hornady. had to seat them real deep because they were so long and because barnes said too. the extra length puts a lot more in the lands and causes a lot more drag and this increases the pressure. another reason i like hornady's is that they seem to never go through. always find em wadded up under the skin on the off side. even close shots at deer. i like the idea of all the energy of a bullet staying in the animal. the copper bullets seem to shoot through most things at moderate ranges. ain't really a bad thing, i just think that the more you hit em with the quicker they're gonna die. hell, anything will work if you do it right. i've shot a lot of stuff with a bow and arrow with no problem and there ain't a bow made that will out do a .22 longrifle.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom