Bumped out bucks?

J

jmagee84

I was just wondering if anyone has ever bumped out a big mule deer buck in the backcountry out of a well used bed, and then went back in during rifle season to see if the buck had returned? I have been seeing large mule deer bucks on the same hill side for the past few years.

I went in this past week with my bow, and found them in there again. I made a stalk on the buck, got within 50 yds and waited there for hours. Then the sun set and the wind changed. I didn't see it but I heard the buck slip out. Very frustrating but I know it happens.

So I was just wondering if any one else has done something like this and went back during rifle or later on during archery to find the same buck had returned to his bedding area? I know that later on in the year they vanish,but I'm not too sure when it is this early, and it was a very mature buck that has obviously been around for a while.

I have seen many bucks during early archery season, that I have not bumped at all, that are no where to be found when I come back during rifle season. And I have seen good bucks get bumped out and I come back a couple days later and they are back in the same area.
So in my opinion when you come back during the rifle season you may not be able to find the bucks but it probly is not because you bumped them a month earlier.

Its 50/50 I think. Sometimes they'll hang around because its their summer home. Other times they'll leave completely. I think the more mature the deer is the less likely they'll hang around after being bumped. One thing is for sure, you won't know unless you get back out there and check. Good luck!
www.pure-elevation.com

I'll be going back in for sure. I guess I am more or less looking for a confidence booster to keep my ambition up. It's a 7 hour drive from my house and then a 7 mile pack in.

In controlled hunts, yes it is likely that he'll be right where you left him.

General open units, I haven't had it work out yet. For me, they are always here today and gone tomorrow.

Wish I had better news for you. My only experience that I can help you with is one of the best bucks that I have ever seen. He was well over 30 inches wide and a nontypical. I was in the higher elevations above Riggins. I was scouting the same hill side we killed a 28 inch buck that has a nice drop tine two years before. We jumped the buck in the same area. I watched him run for a half of a mile across the rocks. That was the last time I ever saw him. I hunted the area for 4 weeks and never saw him again. Since then I stay more than a mile away from that area and check it out with a spotting scope. I hope he comes back for you. What you have going for you is you have found the place. Once you find a place that a buck uses like that others will too. Don't take anyone else there...... not anyone. It may supply you with big bucks for your life. Good luck.
DZ

Read David Long's book. He addresses this issue and supports it with some studies done in Wyo. Not overly scientific, but seems right.

Unfortunately it isn't likely to help you with what you want to hear based on how late your rifle hunt is and how high you are scouting/bow hunting now.

The one thing that I don't have going for me is every year on opening morning of rifle season, There is a guy that rides his mororcycle into the saddle and hunts that hillside with the wind at his back and blows the whole thing out. I spotted a high 20's buck with a bladed kicker last year on the 9th and on the morning of the 10th, when i was watching him find his bed. I heard a motorcycle come up the trail, then a guy walked straight up the hill and pushed the buck out. I later talked to the guy and he told me that he hunts that spot every year and killed a 23 inch 4 point a few years back. He also said that I was the only person that he had ever seen hunting in there for deer. I never told him that he probably spooks a trophy class buck out of that spot yearly.

I've read David Longs book. I just believe that high bucks in Wyoming will act like high bucks in Wyoming and High bucks in Idaho will act like high bucks in Idaho. It just depends on what seasons and hunting pressure they have become accustomed to. I figured that local hunters would have better info than a book. I appreciate the comment though. It is a general hunting area also

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom